Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Howard making most of his limited minutes

Howard making most of his limited minutes

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Ask Josh Howard how he stacks up, at least statistically, to the other members of the 2003-04 rookie class, and the Mavericks' neophyte just shrugs his shoulders. He doesn't know. And, apparently, he doesn't care.

Honestly.

Howard, selected by the Mavs with the 29th and last pick of the first round of the NBA Draft in June, doesn't keep up with the progress of his fellow rookies. Sure, he knows that LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are doing well -- with the hype machines behind each, how could he not? -- but that's about it.

So, why doesn't he keep up with the NBA's latest freshman class?

"I just don't," Howard said Monday after practice. "It's not my worry."

Howard doesn't ever seem to worry, at least on the court. That likely won't change tonight as Howard and another rookie off to a solid start figure to face each other at some point.

Jarvis Hayes has quickly established himself as a vital cog for the Washington Wizards, the Mavericks' opponent at American Airlines Center. Hayes, a 6-foot-7 guard/forward and the 10th pick out of Georgia, is the Wizards' third-leading scorer and ranks fourth among rookies at 11.8 points per game.

"I'm a big fan," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said of Hayes. "He's got size and athleticism, and a lot of poise for a rookie. Quality shooting guards are hard to come by, and he has the potential to be a good one."

The Mavericks believe Howard does, too, though he's in a much different situation than Hayes. Howard, the ACC Player of the Year last season as a senior at Wake Forest, doesn't have as much on his plate. The Mavs (11-6) are a veteran group with established stars, allowing the team to bring Howard along slowly.

That doesn't mean he can't handle a little pressure. Howard sparked a second-half comeback Saturday against Minnesota in a game the Mavs were in danger of letting slip away. Howard scored a career-best 15 points, his third consecutive game in double figures, and pulled down seven boards on a night the Mavs were without two of their best rebounders in Dirk Nowitzki and Danny Fortson.

"I wasn't surprised," said Howard, whose 5.7 scoring average is 12th among rookies. "I just went out there and played ball, like I've been trying to do every game when I go out there. Stuff happens. I made shots and I was comfortable."

Howard hasn't always been as easygoing. He admits letting his mouth get away from him during his early years at Wake Forest.

"My first couple years of college, I always used to get technicals for cussing and my language," he said. "I had to learn that if I was going to better myself, I had to get that under control.

"I learned that last year when I had a lot of freshmen playing under me. I was trying to be calm and not show emotion. I show a little emotion here and there. I just try to stay calm."

Hayes was the picture of poise when he scored 13 in the Wizards' 100-90 victory over the Mavs on Nov. 5.

"I thought he was wonderful when we played them," Mavericks coach Don Nelson said. "He played a terrific game."

Hayes has slumped some recently. After averaging 13.5 points through the Wizards' first 10 games, he's only scored 44 points in his past six contests. Half of those points (22) came in one game. His shooting percentage, once better than 45 percent, is now less than 41 percent.

Taking a cue from Howard's persona, Hayes isn't worried about his slip in production.

"I was telling somebody the other day, 15 games into the college season and you've just got about 10 games left," Hayes told the Washington Times. "Here, you've got more than 65 games left. So you can't really think about it."
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Howard making most of his limited minutes

last several games....his minutes have not been so limited.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Howard making most of his limited minutes

I really like this rook!
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote