Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
FLASH THOUGHTS-

I've read that steve jobs hates adobe flash, because it is buggy and crashes. I've read that he thinks there are much better alternatives than flash. I'm assuming he means HTML 5. I think battery draining is also in issue too. Another thing that i personally believe is why they said no to flash is this: how many websites on the internet have free games that are embedded on the site in flash? Like a million, right? Well, what are some of the hottest apps in the app store? Games. Yes, that's right. It is my opinion that if Jobs allowed flash on the iPhone, then people could play games on web pages, which would reduce people downloading and playing games from the app store. This, in turn would/could reduce revenue for apple and also for app developers. Which probably funks up their whole business model regarding the app store. Not to mention now they have that crappy iAd service or whatever. What do you guys think?
The biggest thing, to me, is that Flash is a standard that is controlled by another company.. thus, Adobe could make decisions, if they wanted, that would intentionally affect Apple strategically. Aspects of new Flash versions that Apple would be virtually forced to support could potentially have significant effects on the way the device operates, or the way they have to design Safari or the OS, or whatever.

Flash is so widespread that if you choose to support it on a device with such a tightly controlled design & architecture as the iPhone, you basically put yourself into a forced partnership with Adobe. Every decision they make can have impact on a part of your business that shows it needs to be tightly controlled to succeed (up to this point).

It's simple self-interest. If you had the choice of adopting an open standard or a closed standard, and can still make money hand over fist adopting the open standard, that's what you do. That means the only one controlling your cash register is you.

Last edited by Rhylan; 06-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote