Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #201
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The "You Know" competition bits they had at the Ticket are pure genius!!!

I would love to see this start back up, you know!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #202
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone listening to Bob and Dan?

They are freaking stomping out my Mavericks soul big time right now.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #203
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't listen to bob and dan when it comes to basketball.. neither of them are worth listening to when it comes to talking about the game of hoops...or baseball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #204
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but Bob is my leader.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #205
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Bob also..but there really isn't anyone worth listening to when it comes to basketball talk on either Theticket or 103.3.

Last night was nothing but encouraging except for one thing..the Mavs lost. Josh Howard didn't play. Dirk played poorly... yet the Mavs were right there. They played pretty good defense. They busted their asses. They came up just short against the Lakers when their second leading scorer was out and Dirk had an off night. Personally, I believe it's a step forward.. the only step forward that I've seen this season. Yes, they beat the Spurs, but that was just by hitting outside jumpers. The Mavs took the ball to the rim more.. they rebounding the ball. Hey, I want the win, but last night was a nice step in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #206
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Darn straight Murph.

I'm a huge Sturm fan but I have zero interest in his baseball or basketball opinions.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #207
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Sturm is the Sports GURU

As for our Mavs...reality sucks and so does our team.

Like it or not, the window has closed and it will be perhaps another 10 years before we start to tast genuine success again.

Hey it was fun while it lasted. The more things change the more they stay the same...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #208
Murphy3
Guru

If Green can continue to play at this level, the Mavs will be making some serious noise starting right now.. and if they can flip stackhouse for a usable piece...well, the more pieces the merrier.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #209
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Sturm is the Sports GURU

As for our Mavs...reality sucks and so does our team.

Like it or not, the window has closed and it will be perhaps another 10 years before we start to tast genuine success again.

Hey it was fun while it lasted. The more things change the more they stay the same...
You're a coward...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-12-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: no need to insult women with my comment...
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #210
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll do it here.

I was listening to the Hardline discuss Mavs today. This is generally a mistake (as it is for all Ticket shows, really). Well Corby stated how amazing it was that the Mavs were already so close to .500 again. He said that at 2-7, he would have bet a lot of money that the Mavs would never see .500 for the rest of the season.

That statement, right there, should tell you all you ever need to know about his basketball knowledge. Does he have any idea how poorly this team would have to play to not finish the season with 41 wins, much less not even get close?

I mean my goodness. I know people are down on the Mavs, but are people really dumb enough to think that they're THAT bad? I was absolutely shocked at his statement.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #211
Murphy3
Guru

Corby and Rhines know absolutely nothing about basketball.... I can handle their football and baseball talk, but they are terrible when it comes to speaking basketball. In general, I'd say that there's probably 20-30 guys on this forum that could do a better job of talking basketball than anyone that's on the airwaves in the metroplex.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #212
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
In general, I'd say that there's probably 20-30 guys on this forum that could do a better job of talking basketball than anyone that's on the airwaves in the metroplex.
I'd take that as a compliment, but I know you weren't referring to me...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #213
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd take that as a compliment, but I know you weren't referring to me...

He wasn't talking about guys who make fart jokes, UD...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 11-21-2008 at 04:41 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #214
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
He wasn't talking about guys who make fart jokes, UD...
Farts don't always have to be a joke, Sike...

Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #215
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the Dallas sports talk radio landscape is getting more crowded. Rhyner probably has mixed emotions about this. On one hand his nemesis Russ Martin got fired. On the other Ben and Skin are more likely to take ratings from the Hardline than Galloway.

---------------

Dallas radio station 105.3 changes format to all-sports talk radio, sacks DJ Russ Martin
By Pegasus News wire

Radio station KLLI-FM (105.3) is changing its format to an all-sports talk radio station, and has dismissed afternoon drive-time DJ Russ Martin, replacing him with The Ben and Skin Show, which had been on in the middle of the day.

Posted by T.G.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #216
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's pretty shocking.

I never cared for him much, but he's been around forever.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-09-2008 at 06:30 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #217
92bDad
Platinum Member

I didn't even know about 105.3 until seeing the story last night.

I usually flip between The Ticket and ESPN radio...now I'll have to listen to 105.3 to see if any of the shows catch my attention.

As it is now, the shows I listen to are:

The Michael Irvin Sho
Bob and Dan
Randy Galloway

Outside of those three, the rest are channel surf and skip the commercials!!!

I've got some episodes of Greggo and hope that he stays sober...addiction/substance abuse just freakin sucks, regardless of the substance and/or the person caught in the grip of addiction.

As it is, regarding the shows, I lean towards the shows that focus on SPORTS...the schtick that come out and is referenced as "Guy Talk" is for the most part nothing that interests me. Nothing against it, it's just not something that trips my entertainment button...when they are all schtick, I tend to find some tunes to listen to until they get back to sports talk.

So here's to giving 105.3 a shot!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #218
Murphy3
Guru

Wow, you're actually able to listen to The Michael Irvin Show? That is a very, very hard listen.. and that's coming from a guy that absolutely loved watching the guy play.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #219
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The Hardline is in decline, but Ben and Skin are not drive time hosts. Not even close.

However, I will probably make it a habit of trying to catch their Mavs' segments.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #220
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

How are Ben and Skin going to be entertaining for any extended period of time?

Who else are they going to have on the station?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #221
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

How will they be entertaining? Not sure that's possible. But what they will do is their stupid skits and laugh at themselves for 3 hours like they always do.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #222
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
How are Ben and Skin going to be entertaining for any extended period of time?

Who else are they going to have on the station?
Former Aggie great Greg Hill & K. Scott are on mid days. Mr. Generic Pete Stein is teamed with another generic host from 7 to 10. Based on the mix I heard it sounds like they're going for the more caller driven style that works on the east coast.

Last edited by dirno2000; 12-09-2008 at 08:14 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #223
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Former Aggie great Greg Hill & K. Scott are on mid days. Mr. Generic Pete Stein is teamed with another generic host from 7 to 10. Based on the mix I heard it sounds like they're going for the more caller driven style that works on the east coast.
If Pete Stein is hosting your morning drive show, you have nothing. Less than nothing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #224
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If Pete Stein is hosting your morning drive show, you have nothing. Less than nothing.
No, 7pm to 10 pm...the throw away time slot. I don't know who's hosting the morning show. Fisher?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #225
Murphy3
Guru

Ben and Skin are fine when they are talking sports.. but when they try to be funny, they are not a good listen. They think way too highly of their friends that they've always invited onto their shows.

As for Pete Stein.... he is TERRIBLE....

edited .. sport

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-09-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #226
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who could KScott have co-hosted with?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #227
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
No, 7pm to 10 pm...the throw away time slot. I don't know who's hosting the morning show. Fisher?
Ohhhh. That makes MUCH more sense.

I flipped over there this morning after hearing about this last ngiht, and it was Jagger and whoever he does a show with. And they were not even hinting at sports. They were taking calls and it sounded like they were staying.

So...that's weird.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #228
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh they poached Kscott.... I like that guy...only when he's barely there with some other Ticket show, but still I like him.

This will fail.

I look forward to White Elephant day tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #229
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The other thing is, with the holiday's coming up how deep is The Ticket going to have to dig into the talent barrell to avoid going to the network. Ben and Skin, K. Scott and Stein were all vacation go to guys.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #230
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Greggo try to get a job with 105.3?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #231
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Yea, Greggo and Fish were going to do a show but it went to Ben and Skin. I would have had some interest in that.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #232
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Wow, you're actually able to listen to The Michael Irvin Show? That is a very, very hard listen.. and that's coming from a guy that absolutely loved watching the guy play.
Murph,

Funny, I believe the Irvin show is perhaps one of the more entertaining and sports oriented shows. I put it up there with Bob Sturm!!!

I also appreciate the fact that they can get into "Cultural" or Race talk without getting message board stupid.

I also like hearing some of the "Player" insight from Irvin...he brings a fresh perspective to the airwaves.

Now as for this 105.3...I tried to listen to them last night on the way home, and I found that I kept switching back to the Galloway show. Last night 105.3 felt like back when I was stationed in Ft.Hood and I had to listen to some small town mono-tone generic news guys trying to do sports. It was like NPR doing sports...it was turrible.

The Dallas sports market is a tough one to penetrate, given you already have two big players, the national ESPN and the local in the Ticket.

There best bet would be to change the format into a Talk radio format, similar to the KLIF, where they could have Political Talk, Etertainment Talk, Life Talk and Sport Talk depending on the time of day. Put some engagin sports talent on during times that ESPN and the Ticket are week...develop a following and at a strategic time, move the talent to a more challenging/competitive time slot.

Best of luck to them...I always enjoy having sports options...but first impression was not very good.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #233
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #234
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Some of Corby's tickers were pretty funny this morning. Bob is struggling to keep them brief.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #235
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I think they should move Corby to ticker guy full time. That was some funny stuff (most of it). I am eagerly anticipating the drive home shift. That should be radio chaos.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #236
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I caught the tail end of a segment where it sounded like the Musers were talking about an upcoming book about the Ticket. Is there anything to that?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #237
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They first said they're having a sort of...event...at the House of Blues where all the hosts will be on stage with a moderator, and they will "tell all" about 15 years of Ticket history, and it will not be on the air. Much of it has never been aired, so they say.

I admit I am very intrigued, and I intend to find out how much the tickets are on Friday morning when they go on sale before I make a call on this one. Apparently there's also a book that will be sold at this party.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #238
Murphy3
Guru

I'll definitely buy the book.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #239
92bDad
Platinum Member

What is your favorite Ticket or other sports radio bit?

For me it has to be when the Ticket was up in Green Bay for a Cowboys - Packers game...I forget who, I think it was Gordo...snuck out onto the Packers field and went out to stomp on the "G" at mid-field.

If I remember correctly, there was an arrest...

All of it was live as a bit on the Ticket and I must admit, I laughed througout that entire bit!!!

I would love to catch a replay of that episode on the ticket!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #240
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

green rocks from outer space

Tags
emotifluff, fluff enhancing drugs, got a bit fluffy in here