Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #521
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Not saying you're wrong. I just think it'll go the other way. Outside of Harrison Barnes, we don't have a good history of getting FAs to come here.

Wes will not opt out of his deal. He'd literally have to hate money to do that. The narrative in the NBA this offseason is backup players signed in 2016 will be earning more than starters who sign this offseason. Wes is on 2015 money. He's not giving that up. He can opt in to $18.6 mil next year. There will be better players this offseason who sign 2 year deals for less than $18.6 mil.
Wes is going to be 32 years old shortly after next season starts, and he's coming off his best season since the injury -- this summer would be an excellent time to opt out and try to negotiate a longterm contract somewhere, especially if he could get somewhere in the ballpark of $12-15m per year... Contracts are guaranteed in this league, health isn't (especially for an aging player) -- it's ALWAYS better to lock up the longterm deal than take the quick cash. Any agent worth their salt will tell you that.

Quote:
We all do it. But, you're just saying what you'd wish for, but it's not reality. Wes is opting in. It's foolish to think otherwise.
I don't think you know enough about the cap to presume to know me.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #522
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wes is going to be 32 years old shortly after next season starts, and he's coming off his best season since the injury -- this summer would be an excellent time to opt out and try to negotiate a longterm somewhere, especially if he could get somewhere in the ballpark of $12-15m per year... Contracts are guaranteed in this league, health isn't (especially for an aging player) -- it's ALWAYS better to lock up the longterm deal than take the quick cash. Any agent worth their salt will tell you that.

I don't think you know enough about the cap to presume to know me.

I don't know what to say. Wes is opting in.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #523
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I'm sure Wes is either opting in with us or doing a longer term deal with us for lesser per year.
I could see him opting-in, but Dallas ins't going to be the team to give him a longterm deal if he's looking for one... Cuban was loyal as hell to Wes by honoring that contract after DeAndra pulled out, but there's no way in hell we owe him anything once this contract is up -- especially since he doesn't fit into our longterm plans.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #524
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

So far no Tyreke Evans trade. Wojo tweeted sources say the Grizzlies will try to resign him if they can't trade him. I hope that means they'll get him back in the lineup this season. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #525
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I like having this pick from the Harris deal.

Fwiw, nbadraft.net currently has Bates-Diop going 50th. I would anticipate the POR pick being around 47. I like Chandler Hutchinson in that area. I think there's a good chance taking a flier on a guy like Billy Preston could pay off big time if he's still there.

Not to mention, maybe we can package it with our early 2nd & move up to the late 1st round if someone we like is failing.

Most of all I just love having Harris out of the lineup. Big win for Team Tank today!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #526
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
I like having this pick from the Harris deal.

Fwiw, nbadraft.net currently has Bates-Diop going 50th. I would anticipate the POR pick being around 47. I like Chandler Hutchinson in that area. I think there's a good chance taking a flier on a guy like Billy Preston could pay off big time if he's still there.

Not to mention, maybe we can package it with our early 2nd & move up to the late 1st round if someone we like is failing.

Most of all I just love having Harris out of the lineup. Big win for Team Tank today!
@bobbykaralla: Nelson said adding Portland's second round pick could give the Mavs the flexibility to package picks together and move up come draft night.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #527
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Who are we pulling for tonight ATL or ORL?

Probably gonna be a very close game with ORL having no Payton or Gordon & ATL unable to deal anyone.

ATL gets CLE tomorrow at home & CLE will probably be very short-handed for that game. Since I think ORL is more talented & they're getting Vucevic back soon, I kinda wanna see ATL win tonight & maybe even knock off CLE tomorrow. That would be sweet!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #528
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Atlanta, easy. They are much less talented than Orlando.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #529
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Atlanta, easy. They are much less talented than Orlando.
Yeah, I mean that's the initial thought for sure. I think the front office showed us today that they're going to do their best to try & get the highest draft pick possible.

So, I wanna root for that top spot, but the other thought is if ATL is just worse than we are & is going to finish with a worse record than us anyways, then you really want ORL to win because that's the team we're really competing with to finish with a worse record than.

It's getting late enough in the process to start contemplating these things. Towards the end of March these types of decisions for rooting interests should be pretty clear. Right now it's pretty fun for me to speculate!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #530
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Tyreke didn't get moved. Hopefully Memphis can win a few soon.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #531
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Great news Tyreke didn't get moved. Hopefully Memphis can win a few soon.
I second that notion! That's almost as good a news as the Mavs trading Harris.

Also really good to see PHX acquire Payton. All of those moves increase the chances of DAL finishing with a worse record than MEM & PHX. I've been beginning to think that ORL is strong enough to finish in the 28 win range, which should put them behind DAL, anyways.

That just leaves ATL & SAC as our main competition. BKN & CHI very close behind. Easy to see a path to a top 3 pick now tho
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #532
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

a POR loss to SAC tonight would be SWEET!!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #533
saclare
Platinum Member

If anyone has any doubt in the Mavs tank effort after last night...

We closed out the 3rd with four undrafted players and DSJ. Four! And that was with the game in reach. I can see a trend of Carlisle going to the younger guys more and more while limiting the vets minutes in the 2nd half, or maybe even just capping their minutes per game. Time will tell, but there was no shortage of tank effort last night by all.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #534
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
If anyone has any doubt in the Mavs tank effort after last night...

We closed out the 3rd with four undrafted players and DSJ. Four! And that was with the game in reach. I can see a trend of Carlisle going to the younger guys more and more while limiting the vets minutes in the 2nd half, or maybe even just capping their minutes per game. Time will tell, but there was no shortage of tank effort last night by all.
Awesome to hear!! I didn't stay up to watch this one because I couldn't see the Mavs beating GSW @ Golden State.

I hope they employ the exact same strategy vs SAC on Tues. We owe them a W lol!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #535
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Lottery watch - Strength of remaining schedule

8) Bulls +2.0 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Nets +1.5 (13th hardest schedule)
5) Grizzlies +1.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
5) Magic +1.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
4) Kings +1.0 (11th hardest schedule)
3) Suns +0.5 (3rd hardest schedule)
1) Hawks === (18th hardest schedule)
1) Mavs === (24th hardest schedule)

27 games left

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #536
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Awesome to hear!! I didn't stay up to watch this one because I couldn't see the Mavs beating GSW @ Golden State.

I hope they employ the exact same strategy vs SAC on Tues. We owe them a W lol!
Yea once I saw the start of the 4th going the same way, I was good to tap out. Those west coast games can be a drag the next morning. But I had seen enough of DSJ and others to hit the hay. No interest in watching that lineup get racked up on by GSW.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #537
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
No interest in watching that lineup get racked up on by GSW.
But you guys missed out on the Salah highlights of his no-look between the legs pass, his fast break/dunks!
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #538
saclare
Platinum Member

This could be interesting...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...turning-season

Sounds like his health is in a good place, at the least. Would be cool to see him in some game action.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #539
Underdog

Quote:

Sounds like his health is in a good place, at the least. Would be cool to see him in some game action.
Oh hell yeah.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #540
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

5) Nets +1.5 (13th hardest schedule)
5) Grizzlies +1.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
5) Magic +1.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
4) Kings +1.0 (11th hardest schedule)
3) Suns +0.5 (3rd hardest schedule)

27 games left

There is another way to look at this with some optimism if you are team tank. At the 24th hardest schedule, that means we will face a lot of teams either competing with us in tanking, in which case we get the chance to lose against them and set them back in the tank standings and the Mavs are easily just as bad as most of them if not worse, so still decent chance the Mavs lose. Or, the team we're playing is a fridge playoff team fighting to make the playoffs. I'm almost more afraid to play against top 10 teams that are safely in the playoffs, as there is always a chance of catching a team on a bad night for them/they got complacent and the young guys catching fire against them as they aim to prove themselves in the league.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #541
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No idea why he would take the risk of getting injured again when he will likely be a top 5 pick. Could potentially lose millions if he comes back and plays poorly/gets hurt again, but as a Mavs fan and a team that could be looking at him I sure hope he gets a few games in. If he comes back 100% he shoots back up in to contention for #1 overall.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 AM   #542
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

At least the Bulls won tonight...
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #543
Underdog

@Dave_Matter: Porter Jr. on next year. "I've thought about it. It's not one way or the other. (The NBA) is still up in the air for me."

Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #544
Underdog

@MavsDraft: Teams in attendance for Mo Bamba today include Philadelphia, Minnesota, Miami, Donnie Nelson and Dallas, Orlando, and many others

Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #545
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@MavsDraft: Teams in attendance for Mo Bamba today include Philadelphia, Minnesota, Miami, Donnie Nelson and Dallas, Orlando, and many others
I'd love Bamba, but Dallas will be visiting every prospect in the top 10 without question.

And it's still unclear how the draft goes. I'm not even positive right now that Ayton and Bagley are shoe-ins for 1 and 2. Ayton is more likely at 1, but I think 2 could be a surprise.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #546
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd love Bamba, but Dallas will be visiting every prospect in the top 10 without question.

And it's still unclear how the draft goes. I'm not even positive right now that Ayton and Bagley are shoe-ins for 1 and 2. Ayton is more likely at 1, but I think 2 could be a surprise.
My list as of today is:

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Luka Doncic
3. Marvin Bagley
4. Michael Porter (assuming positive health reports going into draft)
5. Toss up between Mohamed Bamba and Jaren Jackson Jr.

Some might try to suggest Trae Young.. yeah, no. No reason to go there with DSJ on the roster.

If we land 1-4 we are golden. There is a big part of me that wants to go all in on Luka. Everyone is in love with terms like "ceiling" and "floor" with the former being his downside, but to me the guy screams "champion". I would encourage everyone to watch his game by game tape, not just the compilations. It's amazing how much he impacts every possession.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 02-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #547
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I would love Luka here. The way he is dominating professionals at age 18-19 can’t be denied
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #548
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe it's just the eye test, but Trae Young looks like he has a veeery short wingspan. That definitely matters at the next level. BUT, he could this year's DSJ in quality of player that might fall. Can't see him out of the top 7 though.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #549
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

8) Bulls +1.5 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Grizzlies +1.0 (23rd hardest schedule)
5) Nets +0.5 (13th hardest schedule)
5) Magic +0.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
3) Mavs === (24th hardest schedule)
3) Kings === (11th hardest schedule)
2) Suns -0.5 (3rd hardest schedule)
1) Hawks -1.0 (18th hardest schedule)

26 games left

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-11-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #550
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

8) Bulls +1.5 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Nets +0.5 (13th hardest schedule)
5) Magic +0.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
3) Mavs === (24th hardest schedule)
3) Kings === (11th hardest schedule)
2) Suns -0.5 (3rd hardest schedule)
1) Hawks -1.0 (18th hardest schedule)

26 games left

We need a top 3 pick. Top 4 if someone takes Young ahead of us.

Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, or bust.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #551
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
We need a top 3 pick. Top 4 if someone takes Young ahead of us.

Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, or bust.
Totally disagree. Jaren Jackson and Bamba have huge potential. They aren't as established as those three you mentioned, but Bamba especially gets better with each game. Jackson is more of a work in progress, but he has the tools for sure.

I just feel like wasting our lives freaking out about the draft every season isn't worth it. Mavs are terrible and that's all you can really ask for.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #552
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Totally disagree. Jaren Jackson and Bamba have huge potential. They aren't as established as those three you mentioned, but Bamba especially gets better with each game. Jackson is more of a work in progress, but he has the tools for sure.

I just feel like wasting our lives freaking out about the draft every season isn't worth it. Mavs are terrible and that's all you can really ask for.
Fair point that no matter where we pick we are terrible enough to get a blue-chip prospect, that being said I strongly believe that we need someone with a proven offensive game. The difference between drafting Ayton and Bamba is the same difference last year between DSJ and Ntlikina (not to that extent obviously, Bamba and JJJr. are both doing well). IMO you get very limited opportunities in the draft so you better use them on guys that can drop 20 a regular basis.

I’d be much happier drafting one of those three I mentioned, and either resigning Salah or signing Capela.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #553
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

5) Nets +1.0 (13th hardest schedule)
5) Magic +1.0 (23rd hardest schedule)
1) Suns === (3rd hardest schedule)
1) Kings === (11th hardest schedule)

25 games left

Things are vicious. Four teams competing for 1st. Three more tied one game back. 1-7 all within a single game.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-11-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #554
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

So, we're either getting an Ayton/Doncic or a Bamba/Mikal. Honestly, I lean towards Bamba/Mikal/JJ Jr. over most others besides Ayton anyways. I'd happily trade a #1 overall (and more) for two of those together.

- Bagley is a beast, but I worry about him defensively. We need bigs that can defend the paint, block shots along with offense.

- Porter Jr. can be the best in the draft, or never get his HS groove back. Jumping from HS to the NBA with a major injury in between, seems too risky to me when the hope is to not have a 7 year+ rebuild. I'd rather go safe to at least try to capitalize on Barnes timeline.

- Doncic. I don't have an educated feeling aginst him. I feel the same way I did with him as I did with Ball. Just not sure if it all translates at a high level. Maybe I'm just averse to hype.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #555
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
So, we're either getting an Ayton/Doncic or a Bamba/Mikal. Honestly, I lean towards Bamba/Mikal/JJ Jr. over most others besides Ayton anyways. I'd happily trade a #1 overall (and more) for two of those together.

- Bagley is a beast, but I worry about him defensively. We need bigs that can defend the paint, block shots along with offense.

- Porter Jr. can be the best in the draft, or never get his HS groove back. Jumping from HS to the NBA with a major injury in between, seems too risky to me when the hope is to not have a 7 year+ rebuild. I'd rather go safe to at least try to capitalize on Barnes timeline.

- Doncic. I don't have an educated feeling aginst him. I feel the same way I did with him as I did with Ball. Just not sure if it all translates at a high level. Maybe I'm just averse to hype.
This is how I feel for the most part as well -- defense matters, and none of these guys totally suck at offense (even Bamba, for as much as people want to knock his offensive skills). Ayton isn't the strongest defender, but he's still a net positive. Porter Jr. is a big mystery, given his health and lost year of development, but he at least was a solid perimeter defender in high school... It's Doncic and Bagley that have me worried on that end of the floor, which is my biggest aversion to drafting either of them.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-12-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #556
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

No one is doing a better job of tanking than the Memphis Grizzlies. They're the new frontrunner for worst record this season.

If anyone in the Mavs FO is paying attention, they should pull out a notepad & take notes.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #557
Underdog

Quote:
No one is doing a better job of tanking than the Memphis Grizzlies. They're the new frontrunner for worst record this season.

If anyone in the Mavs FO is paying attention, they should pull out a notepad & take notes.
The Mavs benched all their veterans last night -- don't know what else they can do to tank other than break DSJ's knees.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #558
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Mavs benched all their veterans last night -- don't know what else they can do to tank other than break DSJ's knees.
Sit the vets they sat last night against the Lakers. Sit Barnes against the Rockets. Not that that guarantees a loss either way. I think we can still beat some of these teams with our vets sitting just by virtue of Rick and young hungry legs. But it would've more likely led to 2 losses instead of a split
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #559
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Dallas has done several things lately towards a tank. The difference is Memphis has done everything they possibly can to tank. It's no accident they're 1-6 since they announced Conley Jr was being shut down for the season.

Look at the box score for their games vs PHX and vs ATL. Look at Gasol's minutes. Look at the players who received the most minutes compared to those players usual minutes. They pulled Tyreke from the lineup. They dealed James Ennis away pretty much just to get him off the roster, and take a late 2nd round pick back. They cut the player they received in return. Their real motive there was James Ennis helps us win games, he has to go!

When Memphis winds up with a top 4 pick this year, they'll have earned it. They are leaving no stone unturned... outside of maybe they could have taken a 2nd round pick for Evans, but I assume they're going to ration his minutes in tight games or vs key opponents the way they've been doing with Gasol.

The Mavs haven't gone that far yet.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #560
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Sit the vets they sat last night against the Lakers. Sit Barnes against the Rockets. Not that that guarantees a loss either way. I think we can still beat some of these teams with our vets sitting just by virtue of Rick and young hungry legs. But it would've more likely led to 2 losses instead of a split
This is very true too. Against a worse opponent the tank effort has to be better. Memphis wasn't fooling around. They were down by 25 pts going into the 4th qtr vs ATL, they did not let their starters back in for significant minutes. If Memphis is playing a bottom 8 team that competes with them for lottery balls, they limit Gasol's minutes. They don't do it vs GSW, but then play them his usual minutes vs PHX. They don't do it like that. They're smart about it.

Granted, HOU let the Mavs hang around last night. But, that happens some times. All you can do is plan ahead & see how it rolls out. I guess be mindful that some teams like the Thunder play down to their competition too.