Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #201
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Magic, Lakers, Nets all won today...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #202
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Still number 4
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #203
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Either this is misdirection, or Donnie has lost his damn mind...

The list of players the Mavericks won’t trade is growing
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2018/1...ade-is-growing

Quote:
The list of players the Mavs would offer in a trade has become incredibly small for a lottery team. That list is basically just Nerlens Noel, Josh McRoberts, Salah Mejri, and maybe Matthews.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-22-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #204
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Why not both?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #205
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

Smoke and mirrors, GM gamesmanship. He knows contending teams would value Barea and Harris, and that he'd probably like to clear Powell. Or if someone came beating down the doors for Curry or Ferrell.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #206
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Still #4 but what a tide shifting week. Also now 8.5 games back of the 8th seed with Pelicans and Clippers playing well, and Nuggets still hovering around. I think the writing is on the wall for the FO now.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #207
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Still #4 but what a tide shifting week. Also now 8.5 games back of the 8th seed with Pelicans and Clippers playing well, and Nuggets still hovering around. I think the writing is on the wall for the FO now.
Really hope we don't win more than a game or two between now and the ASB... Playoffs should be completely out of reach -- go into full, open & honest tank mode where we bench our vets and try to develop our youth.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #208
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

He's basically saying he wont give away useful vets on good contracts for garbage. And I don't blame him.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #209
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I like Doncic a lot, but I'd still take Porter over him... Maybe I'm still buying into the "next Durant" hype, but I just can't shake the notion that he could have the most upside in this draft.

My biggest problem with trying to project the Mavs top-10 is Young -- at what point does BPA edge out need? Still have Bamba over him, but #6 just seems too low for a player of his caliber. He likely won't be there when we pick, but what if he is?

Still don't think Sexton makes enough of an impact to overlook need -- doesn't make sense to try to pair him with DSJ... Also think Knox is way too similar to Barnes to crack my top-10... But I do finally have Mikal over Miles.

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley II
Michael Porter Jr
Luka Doncic
Mohamed Bamba
(Trae Young?)
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

Hello Dallas Mavs forum! This is my first post. I'm glad I found this thread. Since the Cowboys were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, I've been looking at the NBA draft since that's what the Mavs are playing for this season. Oooooh, I was so mad when we won those 4 games in a row; especially after we had just saddled ATL with a win. Smh lol

Anyways, some things I've read/heard about the 2018 draft prospects. I agree with Underdog. To me, Ayton is the clear #1 prospect on this board. He's the one player who appears to measure out a legit 7' feet. Both Bagley & Bamba I have seen listed anywhere from 6-9 to 7 feet, which lets you know they're probably both a lot closer to 6-9. Imo, Bamba is a clear drop off from the top tier talent in this draft. Bamba is the start of tier 2 for me.

I've heard it discussed on a couple of boards that Porter Jr likely won't even declare for the 2018 draft. The reason given is it's said to be very important to him to win a national championship in college & to win one for his home state of Missouri. I'm not sure how much validity you can give those reports, but I think it's definitely fair to question whether he declares or not.

Also, regarding Porter Jr, herniated discs are no joke. I had a herniated disc myself that required surgery 10 years ago. I haven't run or jump since. Basically due to doctor's recommendations. True, I'm not a professional athlete & if I were, I would most likely sacrifice some of my long term quality of life considerations for millions of dollars. Still, the point remains. Yes, you can do constant physical therapy & keep your core strong, but it's a chore, and your back will always be weakened. I think it's a major red flag. Knowing what I know about herniated discs, I doubt I would take Michael Porter Jr with a 1st round pick. He'd have to come back to college & prove it to me.

I've also read glowing reviews of Mikal Bridges across a half-dozen sites or so. Pretty much everyone has him as their dark horse/sleeper of the draft. Oh, and I heard one site list Sexton as a potential top 5 pick. He's near 20 ppg at 19.3 and his %s aren't too shabby (44.2% FG 36.8% 3PT 79.8% FT)

I really hope the Mavs can find a way to lose as many games as possible, get lucky & win the draft lottery and take Ayton. That's what I'm praying for.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #210
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Hello Dallas Mavs forum! This is my first post. I'm glad I found this thread. Since the Cowboys were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, I've been looking at the NBA draft since that's what the Mavs are playing for this season. Oooooh, I was so mad when we won those 4 games in a row; especially after we had just saddled ATL with a win. Smh lol

Anyways, some things I've read/heard about the 2018 draft prospects. I agree with Underdog. To me, Ayton is the clear #1 prospect on this board. He's the one player who appears to measure out a legit 7' feet. Both Bagley & Bamba I have seen listed anywhere from 6-9 to 7 feet, which lets you know they're probably both a lot closer to 6-9. Imo, Bamba is a clear drop off from the top tier talent in this draft. Bamba is the start of tier 2 for me.

I've heard it discussed on a couple of boards that Porter Jr likely won't even declare for the 2018 draft. The reason given is it's said to be very important to him to win a national championship in college & to win one for his home state of Missouri. I'm not sure how much validity you can give those reports, but I think it's definitely fair to question whether he declares or not.

Also, regarding Porter Jr, herniated discs are no joke. I had a herniated disc myself that required surgery 10 years ago. I haven't run or jump since. Basically due to doctor's recommendations. True, I'm not a professional athlete & if I were, I would most likely sacrifice some of my long term quality of life considerations for millions of dollars. Still, the point remains. Yes, you can do constant physical therapy & keep your core strong, but it's a chore, and your back will always be weakened. I think it's a major red flag. Knowing what I know about herniated discs, I doubt I would take Michael Porter Jr with a 1st round pick. He'd have to come back to college & prove it to me.

I've also read glowing reviews of Mikal Bridges across a half-dozen sites or so. Pretty much everyone has him as their dark horse/sleeper of the draft. Oh, and I heard one site list Sexton as a potential top 5 pick. He's near 20 ppg at 19.3 and his %s aren't too shabby (44.2% FG 36.8% 3PT 79.8% FT)

I really hope the Mavs can find a way to lose as many games as possible, get lucky & win the draft lottery and take Ayton. That's what I'm praying for.
Welcome to the board! Lots to unpack in your post...

1) Thanks for the info on Porter Jr, I hadn't heard the rumor that he might not declare. That would definitely change the top of the draft, no doubt... And was it a herniated disc? I'd heard that it might have just been a bulge, which means the disc hasn't actually ruptured and a full recovery is more likely. A herniation definitely changes my perspective on him.

2) Ayton is easily at the top of the heap, and I'd agree that Bamba is a cut below... I see Ayton, Bagley, Porter (if 100%) and Doncic as having franchise player potential, whereas I see Bamba as maxing out as an All-Star, at best. He just doesn't have the alpha mentality that the rest of them have.

3) Mikal Bridges is really starting to grow on me, and might even be in my second tier now. I could see him in a similar role as (even though he's a bit different than) Andre Igoudala in Golden State. He's a glue guy who can bring it on defense, help clean up the glass, and hit the open shot -- a guy who can play within himself and doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. He'd be an excellent Wesley Matthews replacement and fit well with Dennis.

4) Not really sold on Sexton with DSJ here, but I'd love to see him enter the top-5 discussion -- especially if Porter doesn't declare. The more guards that push their way up, the better chances we have of getting a guy we need, even if we land outside the top-5.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #211
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Matthews? That alone keeps me optimistic.

Remember what father Don said...if my lips are moving, then you know I'm lying.

It would, however, be unwise to overvalue Yogi and Kleber. They likely carry a lot of value in a trade.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #212
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Guys I wouldn't trade:
Smith
Kleber

End of list.

I'd even trade Dirk. He'd just get bought out and come back to us.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #213
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Welcome to the board! Lots to unpack in your post...

1) Thanks for the info on Porter Jr, I hadn't heard the rumor that he might not declare. That would definitely change the top of the draft, no doubt... And was it a herniated disc? I'd heard that it might have just been a bulge, which means the disc hasn't actually ruptured and a full recovery is more likely. A herniation definitely changes my perspective on him.

2) Ayton is easily at the top of the heap, and I'd agree that Bamba is a cut below... I see Ayton, Bagley, Porter (if 100%) and Doncic as having franchise player potential, whereas I see Bamba as maxing out as an All-Star, at best. He just doesn't have the alpha mentality that the rest of them have.

3) Mikal Bridges is really starting to grow on me, and might even be in my second tier now. I could see him in a similar role as (even though he's a bit different than) Andre Igoudala in Golden State. He's a glue guy who can bring it on defense, help clean up the glass, and hit the open shot -- a guy who can play within himself and doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. He'd be an excellent Wesley Matthews replacement and fit well with Dennis.

4) Not really sold on Sexton with DSJ here, but I'd love to see him enter the top-5 discussion -- especially if Porter doesn't declare. The more guards that push their way up, the better chances we have of getting a guy we need, even if we land outside the top-5.

Thank you. Always a pleasure to be around fellow MFFL'ers!

This article (https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...eturn-timeline) indicates Porter Jr had a microdiscectomy, which means his disc ruptured, and they cut a portion of the disc out. I've seen other articles that say he had surgery, which to my knowledge they don't do surgery for bulging discs. Usually they prescribe traction or therapy if it's just a bulging disc.

It's odd that they say Porter Jr is likely to return this season in that article. I wouldn't think so, wouldn't think it would be very smart to rush him back. I like the example they give of Dwight Howard in the article. Can you still play after a microdiscectomy? Yes. Will you be the same player? No. That's my fear for Porter Jr.

Here's another link I found, and in the video one of the analyst talks about Porter Jr really wanting to win a championship for his school. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-hope-missouri

So, apparently, it's known that Porter Jr has/had a strong desire for a successful college career. I remember reading one poster say on another forum they don't think Porter Jr would of declared for the draft this year even if he had stayed healthy, unless Mizzou won the national championship.

I agree. I don't like Sexton as a fit for the Mavs with DSJ. Not sure how I feel about Trae Young, either. I mean, if we're picking say 7th and everyone else is already gone (Ayton, Bagley Jr, Doncic, Bamba, Mikal Bridges, let's say Porter Jr too) and Young is just sitting there. I guess, I'd have to consider him if I felt he was the BPA. I'm really hoping the Mavs can find a future all star at SF, PF, or C in this draft. I was just mentioning Sexton as someone who is moving up mock drafts, which I agree the more guards that can move into that top 5 discussion the better!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #214
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Guys I wouldn't trade:
Smith
Kleber

End of list.

I'd even trade Dirk. He'd just get bought out and come back to us.
I know you're joking about Dirk (I hope), bit didn't the change the rule about getting bought out and returning to your previous team after Stackhoise said something about that years ago?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #215
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
So, apparently, it's known that Porter Jr has/had a strong desire for a successful college career. I remember reading one poster say on another forum they don't think Porter Jr would of declared for the draft this year even if he had stayed healthy, unless Mizzou won the national championship.
There is zero reason for him to stay in college another year. Unless teams do a physical on him and see something really bad, there is still no way he drops below 6 or 7. It is a crazy amount of risk on losing a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract. You love your school? Great! Make a donation and become a coach after you retire.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #216
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
There is zero reason for him to stay in college another year. Unless teams do a physical on him and see something really bad, there is still no way he drops below 6 or 7. It is a crazy amount of risk on losing a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract. You love your school? Great! Make a donation and become a coach after you retire.
I agree 100%. It's likely this is a sentiment Porter Jr expressed in high school, and once he talks to advisers that lay out the financial ramifications of staying in school, he'll almost certainly have a change of heart. That said, most prospects of his caliber come in with a one & done mindset. Apparently, Porter Jr does not have that mindset. I bet in his mind he thinks he'd come back, be the best player in college basketball, win a championship for Missouri, and go #1 overall in the 2019 draft. He may view being the drafted towards the bottom of the top 10 as unsatisfactory. Who knows?

I definitely think you have to leave the door open, at least partially, that Porter Jr might not declare for the 2018 draft.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #217
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I know you're joking about Dirk (I hope), bit didn't the change the rule about getting bought out and returning to your previous team after Stackhoise said something about that years ago?
The rule only applies to players. He can be traded, retire, and come back as an office guy.

But yeah, mostly kidding. If we're rebuilding, I want Smith and our 2018 pick hanging out with one of the best guys in league history. He makes the Mavs a reputable team and shows them that being in the NBA isn't just about making shoe/insurance commercials. It's about coming in to train every single day and about being patient with the FO and teammates.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #218
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Just learned something else I didn't know about Michael Porter Jr. His dad is an assistant coach for Missouri, and his brother is a fellow freshman on the team. Those are two factors that could definitely influence him to stay. Further explains the Mizzou pride angle too.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #219
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just learned something else I didn't know about Michael Porter Jr. His dad is an assistant coach for Missouri, and his brother is a fellow freshman on the team. Those are two factors that could definitely influence him to stay. Further explains the Mizzou pride angle too.
I could see it either way. The dad was hired as a coach and his brother offered and reclassified so they could play together. However, I think that was done to secure Michael Jr's signature.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #220
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Porter was set to go to Washington until they fired Lorenzo Romar or whoever their terrible coach was
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #221
mac222b
Diamond Member

Welcome Magnum!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #222
mac222b
Diamond Member

I’m all aboard the Bamba train btw. I think the dude has the potential to make a defense- any defense- top 5 perennially. Imagine if he is a better in every way Gobert. Not saying he is but it’s possible. Have heard he doesn’t have the motor or drive that Gobert does but we have a good system that would fit him here. A year with Dirk and a few with RC and DSJ for the next decade
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #223
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Welcome Magnum!
Thank you my good man!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #224
Underdog

Quote:
I’m all aboard the Bamba train btw. I think the dude has the potential to make a defense- any defense- top 5 perennially. Imagine if he is a better in every way Gobert. Not saying he is but it’s possible. Have heard he doesn’t have the motor or drive that Gobert does but we have a good system that would fit him here. A year with Dirk and a few with RC and DSJ for the next decade
Yeah, he had a killer game tonight -- 24 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals... Also nailed a pair of threes! (2-2)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-22-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #225
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I’m all aboard the Bamba train btw...
I feel like a DeAndre Jordan-like piece is somewhat outdated in the current NBA. It is nice to have a rebounder, shot blocker/rim protector (especially with the Mavs history of Centers), but I see Bamba's skill set as being a clear downgrade from what a player like Ayton/Bagley Jr/Doncic offer in upside & skill.

My other knock on Bamba is some scouting services have him listed at 6-9; although, everyone seems to agree his wingspan is 7-10!! And if you've ever seen any highlights of him flushing a one-hand jam you can see just how impressive his wingspan is. If the Mavericks do wind up in that 5-7 area & Bamba falls to them as the BPA, then I can live with it. Honestly, I think I still might prefer a Mikal Bridges type, maybe strongly prefer, but I can see why folks are attracted to Bamba. Also, there's always the chance Bamba can develop a mid range game & increase his FT% to a respectable level, so he's not a liability at the end of the game.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #226
saclare
Platinum Member

I have Bamba over Bridges in both talent and need for the Mavs. The ceiling is the roof with the kid. No telling what kind of offensive game he could develop, and his defense is already elite.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #227
saclare
Platinum Member

Can't find where I mentioned Trae Young usage rate, but ESPN tweeted this graphic:

Old 01-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #228
saclare
Platinum Member

Double post aka tried to make the pic smaller and failed -_-

Last edited by saclare; 01-23-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #229
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Whats the difference between Trae Young and Lonzo Ball?

Seems like a good setup for 100+ jokes

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-23-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #230
saclare
Platinum Member

Jaren Jackson Jr. with a 21 pt, 11 reb, 6 blk game hitting 11/12 FTs and 5/6 from the floor. No threes attempted but he's shooting 44.6% on them for the season (56 attempts).

Edit: Miles Bridges also went for 31 pts, 8 rebs, and 2 blks

Last edited by saclare; 01-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #231
saclare
Platinum Member

Mikal Bridges still shooting the ball tremendously well. How does his defense grade out? He would be a great fit next to DSJ if he's a plus defender.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #232
Underdog

Quote:
Mikal Bridges still shooting the ball tremendously well. How does his defense grade out? He would be a great fit next to DSJ if he's a plus defender.
He was a co-winner of Big East Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #233
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
He was a co-winner of Big East Defensive Player of the Year last season.
Yep. Didn't think I'd have time to do my own research at the time of the post, but multiple reports showing a 3 and D type who has blossomed this year. Definitely should be on the Mavs draft board.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #234
Underdog

Quote:
Yep. Didn't think I'd have time to do my own research at the time of the post, but multiple reports showing a 3 and D type who has blossomed this year. Definitely should be on the Mavs draft board.
Yeah, he was a 3&D player coming into the season -- it's starting to look like he's evolving past that... Not that he's there yet (and not that he'll ever get there), but there's been some hope that he could develop into another Kawhi Leonard.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-23-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #235
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I feel like a DeAndre Jordan-like piece is somewhat outdated in the current NBA. It is nice to have a rebounder, shot blocker/rim protector (especially with the Mavs history of Centers), but I see Bamba's skill set as being a clear downgrade from what a player like Ayton/Bagley Jr/Doncic offer in upside & skill.

My other knock on Bamba is some scouting services have him listed at 6-9; although, everyone seems to agree his wingspan is 7-10!! And if you've ever seen any highlights of him flushing a one-hand jam you can see just how impressive his wingspan is. If the Mavericks do wind up in that 5-7 area & Bamba falls to them as the BPA, then I can live with it. Honestly, I think I still might prefer a Mikal Bridges type, maybe strongly prefer, but I can see why folks are attracted to Bamba. Also, there's always the chance Bamba can develop a mid range game & increase his FT% to a respectable level, so he's not a liability at the end of the game.
I totally can see that line of thinking and not even saying its wrong. Small ball rules the day. But Gobert is still an incredibly valuable piece that any team would kill to have. And from what I've seen and read Bamba has the potential to be better offensively and defensively. Doesn't mean he will be. It would take time and patience and who knows if he has the mentality or intangibles. But Bamba looks pretty freakish to me and if he ever puts it together it could be scary good. In 5 years he and Junior would both be around 25 and ready to enter their prime together. Can you imagine that pick and roll?

I also really like Mikal Bridges a lot and wouldn't be bummed to have him at all. He has some of the non-flashy game and athleticism of Kawhi. Starting to really warm to him and feel like this is might be an 8! man draft after all
Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 AM   #236
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I totally can see that line of thinking and not even saying its wrong. Small ball rules the day. But Gobert is still an incredibly valuable piece that any team would kill to have. And from what I've seen and read Bamba has the potential to be better offensively and defensively. Doesn't mean he will be. It would take time and patience and who knows if he has the mentality or intangibles. But Bamba looks pretty freakish to me and if he ever puts it together it could be scary good. In 5 years he and Junior would both be around 25 and ready to enter their prime together. Can you imagine that pick and roll?

I also really like Mikal Bridges a lot and wouldn't be bummed to have him at all. He has some of the non-flashy game and athleticism of Kawhi. Starting to really warm to him and feel like this is might be an 8! man draft after all

I've watched some more videos & read some more mocks/fan forums/etc. There does seem to be a strong sentiment for Bamba. Some people actually have him rated ahead of Ayton and Bagley. Some people really like Bamba's upside, including on the offensive end, and some people think Ayton is underdeveloped and more in a project mold.

I gotta admit after looking at some more clips of Bamba he has more upside on the offensive end than I was giving him credit for. He has some touch on his jumper and his overall form isn't awful. He shoots 61.9% from the line on 3.3 FTA per game, so that tells you his floor is decent for a shot blocker. He gets very little arch on his jump shot, and his release point is far too low. So, he really needs to totally break his shot down & rework the mechanics from the beginning. For example, if he were a 6-2 guard shooting that flat and with a release point that low, he'd get 1/3 of his shots blocked. He's only able to get away with it because of his height & wingspan. In the pros that's going to have to change for him to increase his percentages. I do agree that he has the tools to develop into a decent, if not above average, shooter tho. Although, I'll also say his shot selection at times is atrocious. I think Carlisle would cure him of that pretty quickly tho lol.

I don't see it with Ayton being a project. I'll leave the door open that there's more weaknesses to his game than I originally indicated because it seems to be a prevailing thought & I haven't watched much more than 30-45 min worth of Youtube highlights on the guy. Still, we're 20 games into a college season here & Ayton is averaging 19.7 ppg compared to a guy like Bamba at 12.4 ppg. Ayton also shoots 71.6 % from the line on 5.1 FTA per game, so I think there's a clear edge in his shooting ability. Ayton's form is much more polished too. He could stand to not bring the ball down so low before his release as often & finish a bit higher in his release point, but he has a much better follow through motion than Bamba & better touch, rotation on his ball. His jump shot is much more NBA ready.

Ayton may also be the better rebounder, although they're both superior. Clearly Bamba is a special shot blocker. One of the shots I watched him block vs either Duke or Kansas was incredible going back across is body with his left hand to block the shot at its apex. Very special shot blocker.

I really can't knock Bagley for much. Any deficiencies he has, and you're just forced to remember he could be a high school senior right now. Bagley does seem like the weaker of the 3 on defense, but also a much better scorer around the basket than Ayton is and definitely Bamba. Just looked up Bagley's FT% this yr, 61.7% on 7.0 FTA, yuck! Bagley's form looks solid imo, from what I've seen anyways. Those results leave a lot to be desired tho.

Boy, what I saw from Trae Young tonight was impressive vs Kansas. Basically, said so everyone thinks I'm just a scorer & 3 point shooter? Well then, watch me get my teammates involved, handle/take care of the ball, and still get 26 on improved shot selection. Young is probably very deserving of top 3 overall consideration at this point.

I hear a lot of people say Doncic is the best overall player in this draft. I need to watch more tape on him. I think a kid his age doing what he's doing in the 2nd best league in the world & I'm pretty much sold that he's a top 3 pick. Honestly I think he's the guy I'm rooting for the Mavs to land the most, outside of Ayton.

Also heard very good things about Mikal Bridges (again), Jaren Jackson Jr, and even some guys down the pecking order. Some people still really seem to like Colin Sexton (looking forward to seeing him & Trae Young go at it on Saturday). A lot of people are still very high on Miles Bridges, even the A&M product Robert Williams gets talked about in that top 10-12 range. A lot of folks are high on Wendall Carter Jr & Kevin Knox too. Hear some talk about Bruce Brown & Troy Brown in that top 10-13 area too. I see this 2nd tier expanding.

I agree. I can definitely see this being a 8 or 9 deep player draft come June.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 01-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #237
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Not sure where else to put this. Maybe I should start a Tank Watch thread lol.

Orlando saddled the Sad Sac Kings with a W tonight!! Love it when two teams ahead of us in the race for the worst record this year play each other & somebody has to take the W. LOL
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 AM   #238
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before but every time I read about or watch Doncic, I seriously think he would fit this team and RC like a glove and the fact he is without a doubt one of the top 5 players in this draft just really makes him perfect to me. I'm rooting for him being the guy, I'd obviously take any of them but I don't think any of the top 5 guys would fit and have the impact on this team like Doncic. If we somehow won the 1st pick we prolly won't take him over one of the bigs and I'll be happy with any of them like I said but man crush levels is reaching ridiculous proportions with Doncic and the idea that we could have a young do it all guy that could fit with any lineup we throw out there without sacrificing anything like we currently do.

There I go getting my hopes up again... damn you people.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:45 AM   #239
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I've said it before but every time I read about or watch Doncic, I seriously think he would fit this team and RC like a glove and the fact he is without a doubt one of the top 5 players in this draft just really makes him perfect to me. I'm rooting for him being the guy, I'd obviously take any of them but I don't think any of the top 5 guys would fit and have the impact on this team like Doncic. If we somehow won the 1st pick we prolly won't take him over one of the bigs and I'll be happy with any of them like I said but man crush levels is reaching ridiculous proportions with Doncic and the idea that we could have a young do it all guy that could fit with any lineup we throw out there without sacrificing anything like we currently do.

There I go getting my hopes up again... damn you people.
^^^ LOL

I just watched about an hour of highlights on Doncic and watched some highlights of player comps. I had heard Doncic is a playmaker, shooter, with incredible court vision. I really didn't see the court vision, not on a spectacular level. He shows flashes. What I did see is an incredible handle and a guy who can get wherever he wants to on the floor. One of the best comps I saw was Brandon Roy. I think the way he moves with the ball on the floor is very similar to Roy.

What worries me about Doncic is he seems to need to have the ball in his hand at all times. He obviously has a green light with his team, like all the time, and he takes some very bad shots. I think it's fair to question whether he & DSJ can co-exist like that, but to be honest, as ball dominant as Doncic is, he's going to have to learn how to play without the ball no matter what team he goes to.

I still really, REALLY like the guy & I'm like you. I kinda hope the Mavs land him, maybe even more than I'm hoping for Ayton. It's kinda 1 & 1A for me. I think his poor shot selection is a symptom of his youth, and if you can fix that & teach him to play a bit more under control, you have the makings of a generational 2 guard on your hands. At times he even reminds me of T-Mac, if T-Mac played below the rim.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #240
Underdog

Quote:
Not sure where else to put this. Maybe I should start a Tank Watch thread lol.

Orlando saddled the Sad Sac Kings with a W tonight!! Love it when two teams ahead of us in the race for the worst record this year play each other & somebody has to take the W. LOL
This is a good thread to put it in -- we're pretty much position-watching and player-assessing here.

Today could be a big day for the standings... Obviously the Mavs play against Houston, but Atlanta, Phoenix, Memphis, and Chicago are also playing.