Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-12-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
LakerMania

LakerMania is on a distinguished road

Source: Mourning's kidney condition deteriorating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Alonzo Mourning's kidney condition has deteriorated and will probably prevent him from playing this season, a source close to the Miami Heat center said Thursday.

Mourning

The Heat released a statement confirming that Mourning would be sidelined indefinitely because "his chemistry levels have fallen below what his doctors feel is an acceptable level to play.''

Mourning, his agent and Heat coach Pat Riley declined to comment. The Heat said Riley would hold a news conference Friday to discuss the setback.

The All-Star center definitely will miss the start of the season, said the source close to Mourning, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The Heat opener is Oct. 30.

The 32-year-old Mourning was diagnosed with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in October 2000. He played just 13 games that season, but his condition gradually improved.

Last season the disease was in remission, meaning his kidneys stopped deteriorating. Medication improved his blood pressure, hemoglobin and cholesterol, all affected by his ailment. Mourning missed only seven games last season, playing so well he made the NBA All-Star team for the seventh time.

But Mourning has acknowledged that his prognosis is uncertain, and that a transplant might eventually be necessary. Sean Elliott of the San Antonio Spurs contracted a less serious form of focal glomerulosclerosis and required a transplant in 1999.

Mourning had been seeing a physician every two weeks for a checkup, and the latest round of tests apparently revealed a change in his condition.

Even with Mourning healthy, the Heat went 36-46 last season, and Riley missed the playoffs for the first time in his 20-year coaching career. Mourning is to make $20.6 million this season in the final year of a seven-year contract.

In a recent interview, Mourning said he hates going to the doctor.

"I'm petrified,'' he said, "because I'm afraid of what they're going to tell me.''

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent

Print story

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

With all the drugs taken in professional sports these days this will become more and more of a problem. It´s sad, but if Mournings kidney continues to deteriorate he won´t be back. That´s it for Zo.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate to hear this, but I can't say I am upset that the Zo to Dallas rumors will be over now. Best wishes Zo!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Who was the assholes who were trying to offer Finley and Nick for Zo? And were are teh ones who were in favor of the deal now? Im too glad that these rumors are over with thankk god we didnt trade for him or would there be a riot between Dallas Fans. Sorry to hear about Zo tho its a shame that he was once the 1 of the greatest centers in the game and now he is having kidney problems. Even more bad news for Riley.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:45 AM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

This was why I never wanted to trade for Zo in the first place, especially with a player like Finley. I was afraid problems would pop up at any given time. Poor Zo.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:27 AM   #6
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I feel bad for Zo because that is a serious situation. A life threatening situation.

From a basketball standpoint, I had no problem giving up NVE in a trade but to throw in Fin and maybe some others to get a deal done, I just didn't think it was worth it, regardless of Zo's health situation.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Zo no mo.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

As I expected, no cap relief for Heat.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote