Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 PM   #41
dirkformvp

dirkformvp is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Dallas/ Utah Trade for AK47

well i dont think that we will be trading jamison anytime soon unless the occasion calls for it, but AK wont be coming to soon anytime soon.
dirkformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #42
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Most of you don't realize how good AK is. The guy either is or shortly will be a better player than Jamison. There's no way Utah does this deal. AK is one of the best all around players in the NBA. The guy blocks shots, scores, rebounds, steals the ball, passes well and plays good man to man defense.

the guy is an all around stud.
Murphy, I don't disagree that Utah wouldn't do the deal. I wouldn't do it from Utah's perspective myself. I just don't think AK brings enough extra this year to justify it. In future years he probably would.

You wouldn't do it from Utah's persective? And you wouldn't do it from the Mavs perspective
hmmmm
interesting.

I'd honestly trade anyone on the team for AK except for Dirk and maybe steve
For Kirilenko, I'd give any two players (leaving aside contract issues), including Steve. I don't see how Cubes would turn down either deal. Of course, the Jazz would never do it. The argument that Kirilenko's career stats are lower than AJ's doesn't hold--he has been playing in Stockton and Malone's shadow until this season (though he's always brought it defensively, averaging more than 1.5 steals and 2 blocks a game in just 28 minutes for his career! This season he's averaging an otherworldly 2.5 blocks and 2.25 steals a game!).

Look at the stats more closely:
AJ averages 19.8 PPG, on 17 FGA and 5.3 FTA, with 7.4 RPG, 1 SPG, 2.1 TOPG, in 36 MPG, 45.5 FG%
AK averages 12 PPG on 8.2 FGA and 4.6 FTA, with 5.3 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 2 BPG, 1.6 TOPG, in 28 MPG, 47.6 FG%

so they are comparable on rebounding (adjusted for minutes, especially seeing how AK did increase his rebounds this year with more minutes), TOPG (again adjusted for minutes, though admittedly with AJ taking more shots, you would expect him to have even more TO's), and APG.

Where is AJ superior? One might point to scoring, b/c he averages 19.8 PPG over his career, and AK is just averaging 17.5 PPG this season. However, when you look more closely you see: a) AJ shoots a lower percentage b) AJ takes more shots. Besides, on a Mavs team with a bunch of scoring options, do you really need another scorer like AJ who scores 19.8 PPG for his career on 17 FGA? Or would you rather give up a few shots to Dirk, and have AK who scores 17.5 PPG on 11.8 FGA!!!

Where is AK superior? Higher shooting percentage, better contract, much better defense!

Consider this: In 19 games this season, AK has had

19 games with at least 1 block or steal
18 games with at least 2 of either blocks or steals or a combination
14 games with at least 1 of either blocks or steals and 2 of the other
7 games with at least 2 blocks and 2 steals

I know blocks and steals are not the ultimate measure of a defender, but this guy is a superior perimeter defender who blocks shots as well, and you wouldn't give up AJ and change to get him?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I know blocks and steals are not the ultimate measure of a defender, but this guy is a superior perimeter defender who blocks shots as well, and you wouldn't give up AJ and change to get him?[/quote]

yes bac, the Mavs would do this deal...but not in 100yrs do the Jazz!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote