Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

WOW- the Kings will give LA all they can handle next year...it might even push them over the top...Dallas better make another move!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:12 PM   #2
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

reeds, they haven't made the first move yet. I sure hope the Mavs don't think they can go into next season with the current roster and actually contend. If Lewis deal happen, then the Mavs will be very very good and challenging to the Lakers, Spurs and Kings but if they don't and just stand pat.....
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that the Mavs should make a move, but if they do not, I do not agree that Sactown or LA is ahead of them. They will come together this season having the benefit of playing with each other. I just don't see how the Mavs are so much worse. They are one of the league's elite teams.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:17 PM   #4
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I do think the Mavs are an elite team, but I think they are a "baby-step" behind the Kings and Lakers. And considering they are all in the WEST- being great might not be great enough?????
Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
Red White and Blue

We went 3-1 in the reg season against both of them, and 4-1 in playoffs against the Kings. Both teams got better, Kings added Clark and Lakers get Rush. I know he's a rookie, but he can only help. If the Mavs sign Rashard Lewis then I think they have a good of a chance as any to come out of the west. If we sign him, the starting 5 we can put out there is 1 of the best out there and can really get the job done. I don't know if we can go into next season with the same roster and compete with guys who were already better than us, and be any better than them this next season.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Clark bores me - I doubt if he gets off of the bench on a regular basis for any of the western powerhouse teams.

Yawn.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
Red White and Blue

He may bore you, but it is a upgrade for sure, they still have Pollard and Funderburke as well. He will get off the bench for the Kings, but I rather have him getting off the bench for the Mavs rather than the Kings.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:29 AM   #8
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< We went 3-1 in the reg season against both of them, and 4-1 in playoffs against the Kings. Both teams got better, Kings added Clark and Lakers get Rush. I know he's a rookie, but he can only help. If the Mavs sign Rashard Lewis then I think they have a good of a chance as any to come out of the west. If we sign him, the starting 5 we can put out there is 1 of the best out there and can really get the job done. I don't know if we can go into next season with the same roster and compete with guys who were already better than us, and be any better than them this next season. >>

The Mavs were 1-3 against the Lakers in the regular season and 3-1 against the Kings in the regular season. The Kings, Bibby especially, turned it up a notch in the playoffs.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:26 AM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Keon Clark has officially become this offseason's Anthony Mason. If he contributes at all for the Kings, it will suprise me. The comment about him pushing the Kings past the Lakers is laughable. How the hell is Keon Clark going to do anything to slow down Shaq? I'd rather have Pollard on the floor for that purpose any day. Clark is a third rate center barely capable of starting in the NBA. Now he joins the list of the dozens of overpaid one-year-wonder centers. Clark, and all his new fans, are going to get a big dose of reality when he &quot;attempts&quot; to go up against the Western Conference big boys.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:05 AM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Keon Clark has officially become this offseason's Anthony Mason. If he contributes at all for the Kings, it will suprise me. The comment about him pushing the Kings past the Lakers is laughable. How the hell is Keon Clark going to do anything to slow down Shaq? I'd rather have Pollard on the floor for that purpose any day. Clark is a third rate center barely capable of starting in the NBA. Now he joins the list of the dozens of overpaid one-year-wonder centers. Clark, and all his new fans, are going to get a big dose of reality when he &quot;attempts&quot; to go up against the Western Conference big boys. >>

How is he overpaid? The deal he got was a 6 year 19 mill right? Or it had to come close because I know Kings have any salary cap room. I agree RWB, I would much rather have Clark coming off our bench then theres. Imagine when Webber and Divacs get into foul trouble and who do they bring up? Clark and Pollard. That tops are small foward and center combination if u want to count Lafrentz as a foward and Bradely or Esch as a center.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Keon Clark has officially become this offseason's Anthony Mason. If he contributes at all for the Kings, it will suprise me. The comment about him pushing the Kings past the Lakers is laughable. How the hell is Keon Clark going to do anything to slow down Shaq? I'd rather have Pollard on the floor for that purpose any day. Clark is a third rate center barely capable of starting in the NBA. Now he joins the list of the dozens of overpaid one-year-wonder centers. Clark, and all his new fans, are going to get a big dose of reality when he &quot;attempts&quot; to go up against the Western Conference big boys. >>

With all due respect (something you don't give a whole lot of to anybody else) Madape, it doesn't realy matter how Clark does against Shaq. What matters is what Clark can do against us: 18pts 15reb 1b on 3/7/02. We make Pollard look like an all-star so what the heck do you think Keon is going to look like when we play him 4 times a year and in the playoffs? It may be laughable to you that he is overrated in general but against us, he looks like an all-star so how laughable does that make us? Without any offseason moves, he will again. It may be debatable as to how much of a &quot;baby step&quot; we are behind the Kings but there is no debate that we are behind. Them adding Clark while we do nothing, no matter how small you think it might be, is not improving this situation.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:47 AM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Nellie- The only thing I really found &quot;laughable&quot; was the statement about Clark pushing the Kings past the Lakers. The Mavericks made a whole bunch of big guys look good last year. Thats what happens when you go small. In general, big guys tend to outrebound small guys.

If Clark is a better rebounder and defender than Pollard, it isn't by much. Clark is thinner and not as capable of bodying-up the big guys. In any case, he's going to have to fight for minutes with Pollard behind Divac. In all likelihood, he'll get about 10 minutes a game. The full exception for a guy that isn't likely to contribute much is overpaying in my book.

Old 08-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

I've made the comparison of Keon Clark to Lorenzo Williams in the past, but check this out:

Williams, 1995/1996
Weight: 230
Rebounds: 8.0
Blocks: 1.9

Keon Clark, 2001/2002
Weight: 220
Rebounds: 7.4
Blocks: 1.51

The Kings just gave up their full exception to a skinnier version of Lorenzo Williams.

Old 08-15-2002, 02:03 PM   #14
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Nellie- The only thing I really found &quot;laughable&quot; was the statement about Clark pushing the Kings past the Lakers. >>

After re-reading your comments, you are right. Your comment was fair and I agree.

<< The Mavericks made a whole bunch of big guys look good last year. Thats what happens when you go small. In general, big guys tend to outrebound small guys. >>

I agree with you to a cretain point but it realy doesn't do us any good because of all the second chance points we give up. Small ball is not a good excuse for poor defense and being out-sized.