Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Ah, Sweet nostalgia

The follow story is posted for those who this remember this wondeful moment in Mav's history.

And for those who hope the crowd be just as insane....at Game 3.

Moody Madness: Still crazy after all these years
Like the '84 game itself, Moody Madness stories go on and on
02:56 AM CDT on Thursday, April 22, 2004
By JAN HUBBARD / The Dallas Morning News

A headline writer, now long forgotten, elevated the event from unforgettable to legendary. In the April 27, 1984 edition of The Dallas Morning News, the Mavericks' bizarre victory over Seattle in the fifth and deciding game of their first-round playoff series was immortalized with this banner:

"Mavs win Moody madness" "Moody madness" became "Moody Madness" and now is a permanent part of Dallas basketball lore. And those who lived in Dallas at that time have always used it as a reference point to quantify the significance of any basketball event.

"That was almost as good as Moody Madness."
"I haven't heard a crowd that loud since Moody Madness."
"That was the craziest thing I've seen since Moody Madness."

Taken alone, the game was a classic. The Mavericks trailed by six points with less than a minute left in regulation, came back, tied the score and won, 105-104, in overtime.

But there was so much more.

Mavericks officials did not expect the team, which had not made the playoffs in its first three seasons, to capture the home-court advantage. A World Championship Tennis event was scheduled at Reunion Arena in the last week of April, so the Mavericks had to play at SMU's Moody Coliseum, which seated 8,000 fewer people. Preparing that facility for an NBA playoff game was a daunting, and sometimes comical, task.

The craziness never stopped, and it was the last second of the game – a second that took 14 minutes to play – that transformed the game into a fable.

Twenty years later, some of the principals and behind-the-scenes people remember the night as one that was maddening, challenging, extraordinary and exhilarating.

-- Go Mavs !
Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Ah, Sweet nostalgia

That's really cool.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default RE: Ah, Sweet nostalgia

I read in the article that the Mavs were selling copies of the game tape at Sound Wharehouse locations. Does anyone have one. I would absolutely love to see it.

I was just a tike when that game was played, and I have heard about it for years but I've never had the opportunity to see it.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

That sounds cool, although I wasn't even a fetus at that time... I think I'm gonna hook myself up with one of those tapes.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Mavsman, I think it has been about 20 years since they have been on sale. It might be atough one to get.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
...although I wasn't even a fetus at that time...
Me neither. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

They sent a tape of the game out to all the season ticket holders, I know it's around here somewhere. I never throw anything away.

I was there, it was our first season that we bought tickets. Moody was incredibly loud, the ending was surreal. Nobody had expected the Mavs to be in the playoffs, and beating Sikma and the Sonics was the beginning of a great run thru the rest of the 80s (if I recall right the Sonics got revenge the next year). That game was like cupid, it began a love affair between the team and dallas.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #8
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

grbh, you'd be surprised at some of the old junk you can dig up on ebay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote