Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Pitchforks!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Richard
Quote:
[i]Yes, Fin deserves to be criticized for having the ball knocked away in that situation. However, Nellie deserves as much or more of the blame for screwing up on a brain dead coaching decision.
I agree they both deserve some blame for that. Just don't let fin off the hook entirely and the ball wasn't knocked away, he just lost the handle on it and it squirted up in the air. Iron hand Mike.
Exactly. Fin is not good at handling the ball. So why would the coach draw up a play that requires him to create on his own in that situation? There is no defense of Don Nelson in this situation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #42
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Did Mike make the best out of a bad situation? No. But he should never have been put in that situation.

When you think about it, that is Nelson's calling card. He likes to put players in positions to fail. Some examples...

1. He tried to make Antoine Walker a "point forward", even though he'd never played a similar role in his entire career. When Walker arrived, he raved about how he finally had located the point forward he was looking for. By the end of the season, when he had fallen out of love with Walker, he griped that Walker just wasn't very good in the point forward role, as it were somehow Walker's fault.

2. He tried/is trying to make Dirk Nowitzki a center and the anchor of the defense. Dirk Nowitzki is NOT a center. Dirk's skills are suited to the PF spot, and Dirk has been an All-NBA performer there for several years. So what do you do? Tell the guy to play center. He's better suited to defending the power forward spot and defending "in space", so what do you do? Tell him to grind it out down low and protect the rim.

There are a lot more, but those are just a couple that come to my mind.

Nellie puts players in positions to fail.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:05 AM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add another.

3. He tried/is trying to make Antoine Walker a center. The dude is a power forward, and you went out and got him knowing that AND knowing that your best player was a power forward. And all because you hated LaFrentz, Nellie. Dumb move. Hopefully we'll be able to convert Walker into something better than LaFrentz in the offseason.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #44
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Pitchforks!

Quote:
I will watch them every game. But the last 4 minutes was depressing. Why did we run so many plays for Daniels? And why did Finley get that play called for him?
Why the Mavs don't attack the basket in the clutch? It is proved that under pressure their jumpshots don't get in.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:23 AM   #45
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I was amazed with how much Walker choked last night.

The guy simply could not make a lay up. Not placing the blame squarely on his shoulders ofcourse because obviously he wasnt the only

one to miss a layup, but the supposable Chicago/Dallas scenario or Goldenstate/Dallas scenario that both revolve around bringing in a big

man in that is an expert at (I cant believe im saying this considering this is the NBA) making layups, should help us out a lot.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #46
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's like banging your head against the wall.

Richard, no one is letting Fin off the hook. His number was called and he didn't deliver, but most fans realize that he shouldn't have had his number called in the first place. Not when he's struggled for 2 games, and Nelson having better options at his disposal at that time.

Can you name me another coach that would watch a player struggle like Fin has and then put the ball in his hands in that situation?

And I'm not sure what replays you've been watching, but Peja got a hand on the ball.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #47
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
There is no reason for him to be starting ahead of Daniels
I'll give you one........Daniels mightnot be here next year.

Quote:
2) Nellie needs to go right now. He holds this team back more than any opponent or player. He simply does too much crap. I am disgusted with his selections. In fact, it would be fitting if they lose the next two and Cuban fires his butt.
I agree with you totally here. Nellie's decision making process and play selection is almost at the same level as Steve Francis.

But let me ask you this.......If you fire Nellie, who do you replace him with.........Dr Jack Ramsey?

Or maybe one of the fired eastern conference coach's bunch........scratch Jim O'Brien off that list BTW.

Byron Scott would be an interesting fit........but after the way he lost his players attention after all the success they had, not to mention the success of his successor Lawerence Frank, I'm not sure he's the right man for the job.

And dont bring up Pat Riley, either. He will not be coming here or anywhere lese for that matter. With the success they have had in Miami with there young talent, not to mention the all-of-a-sudden bright future they now have down there, its hard to imagine Riles leaving his sweet gig in heavenly Miami for any other job, even coaching the Lakers. It just aint happenin so give up that dream........

So who does that leave you with..........Rudy T.

Would you want him here more then Nellie.

Fact is, I just dont think there too are many good free agent coachs to go after to replace Nellie.

Thus Nellie might be the best choice for coach of the Mavs right now.........unless they promote from within the ranks.

If they do the latter, they better hurry up before Del Harris ends up as GM in Toronto.

I would like to see Avery Johnson brought in as an assistant coach to Nellie next season, and then after as season under his belt move Nellie to GM and Avery over to head coach...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #48
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, under the "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" departmant, I just read on another board that Nellie is saying on the radio maybe the play was designed to go to Dirk but he passed it off.

IF so... maybe Nellie shouldn't be getting much heat for calling a bad play. I would still say Fin failed under pressure, as he did both games BUT I would even have to give him some credit for at least not passing the hot potato money ball and having the guts to try. If Dirk really bailed on the play that was called with so little effort that I didn't even notice he got the ball, then that is pretty discouarging on his level of guts too - and he was the ONLY one who I thought HAD shown much guts under pressure. Ouch. That just leaves Eddie! I think I felt better about the mavs when I thought it was just Nellie and Fin who blew the last play.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #49
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Thought the announcer had a great point that is true. That if he had someone down there who would take some of the brunt of being the only big guy out there he would be an even better defender. He had two blocks attributed to him and many other contests.
Collins made that point, and I think he's dead-on. Dirk just doesn't have the physical skills to be a dominant player defensively. But Dirk would definitely hold his own and not be a weak link in a lineup of average-to-good defenders.

Bird may have had even less athleticism than Dirk, but in a lineup of Parrish, McHale (or Cornbread Maxwell), Ainge, Johnson, Bird was more than adequate defensively.
Well the concept is not exactly new. That´s what I wanted the Mavs to do for the last two offseasons. Surround Dirk with defensive minded players. If you´ve got Nash, Fin and Dirk on your team the other two players better be good defenders. If you pair Dirk with a 4/5 who can hold his own down low, Dirk himself will look much better on the defensive end.

Unfortunatly the Mavs chose another direction by asking Dirk to play center and anchor the D. He´s defenitly not suited to play that role, even though he´s been the best defender out of the main guys in this series so far.

I don´t buy the argument of Dirk having to be a defensive standout to give the Mavs a chance to win it all. Was Bird an outstanding defender? No. Was Magic? No. If your franchise player isn´t a defensive stud you need to surround him with good defenders. That concept is really simple. Try to keep the team balanced. An all out offense team hasn´t worked before and it won´t work now IMO.

As for Nellies playcalling at the end of the game. Yeah it´s been horrible, but I´ve become used to it. More often then not the Mavs will win despite poor coaching. Right now I really hope we lose the next two, Nellie gets fired and there´ll finally be some changes into the right direction. Wich means byby Walker. Unfortunatly it´s too late to deal Fin now, who´s clearly on the decline. I said it the last two offseasons and it really wasn´t hard to imagine that if we´d keep Fin any longer we´ll be stuck with his pretty huge contract while his skills dimish. Well that´s what happened. He´ll probably lose his starting spot to Daniels soon (if we can keep Daniels, which might take a good part of the MLE, so say goodby to Tag).

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM   #50
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Suddenly everybody understands how bad Nellie is to the team,where were you 2 years ago?
If we would have signed Rick Carlisle before the Pacers,we would have been impossible to beat;Jerry Sloan is not a bad way to go,if we could convince him to jump ship from Utah,he could have a serious impact on this Franchise.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
I was amazed with how much Walker choked last night.

The guy simply could not make a lay up. Not placing the blame squarely on his shoulders ofcourse because obviously he wasnt the only

one to miss a layup, but the supposable Chicago/Dallas scenario or Goldenstate/Dallas scenario that both revolve around bringing in a big

man in that is an expert at (I cant believe im saying this considering this is the NBA) making layups, should help us out a lot.
He can't make a layup for two reasons and they are inter-related.

1. He doesn't have great hops.
2. He does NOT want to get fouled because he knows it's like giving away points.

Bad combination.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Richard
Hey guys, under the "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" departmant, I just read on another board that Nellie is saying on the radio maybe the play was designed to go to Dirk but he passed it off.

IF so... maybe Nellie shouldn't be getting much heat for calling a bad play. I would still say Fin failed under pressure, as he did both games BUT I would even have to give him some credit for at least not passing the hot potato money ball and having the guts to try. If Dirk really bailed on the play that was called with so little effort that I didn't even notice he got the ball, then that is pretty discouarging on his level of guts too - and he was the ONLY one who I thought HAD shown much guts under pressure. Ouch. That just leaves Eddie! I think I felt better about the mavs when I thought it was just Nellie and Fin who blew the last play.
I just heard a clip on The Ticket and he definitely didn't say that Dirk passed it off. He said that it was designed for Finley and that the play had worked well for the team this year.

Now, perhaps he's talking out of his ass and out of his mouth at the same time. So, perhaps he's said two different things. Out of his ass, he said what he needed to do to save his ass. Out of his mouth, he said the truth.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #53
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[i]I just heard a clip on The Ticket and he definitely didn't say that Dirk passed it off. He said that it was designed for Finley and that the play had worked well for the team this year.

Now, perhaps he's talking out of his ass and out of his mouth at the same time. So, perhaps he's said two different things. Out of his ass, he said what he needed to do to save his ass. Out of his mouth, he said the truth.
Hehe. Well, one thing I think it is safe to say about Nellie, any time, and that is anyone who bets too much on Nellie telling any certain "truth" is crazier than us mavs fans who stuck with the mavs through the 90's.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 PM   #54
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Max Power-
What are you smoking? Nobody puts there best offensive player on the other team's best offensive player, regardless of how good a defender he is. You wouldn't have seen KG or Duncan guarding Webber. Fact is, Dirk is a decent defender. You think he's worse than Duncan or KG? Then how is it that Dirk lights it up against them?
A big, big part of defense is help-side. There are very few one-on-one stoppers out there. You've got your Ben Wallace's, but the list is short. It so happens that Najera IS one of the better on the ball defenders in the league at times. All of the all-star big men, get taken to school by the other good offensive big men.
No, Dirk isn't in there taking charges, but he can't afford to try. We can't afford to have him on the bench if he doesn't get the call. As it is, he will get fouls that are a result of our poor perimeter defense. You don't see Duncan and KG taking charges either. Blocking shots is another big part of defense, and Dirk gets blocks.
We all know Dirk hasn't been a good defender in the past. Not true this year. As far as this series goes, Dirk is flat getting it done defensively. Miller and Divac are no slouches on offense. The Kings big men have really torn us up so far, right? For you to come on this board and criticize Dirk's defense these 2 games is ludicrous, irresponsible, and, frankly, in poor taste.

You want to talk about Dirk demanding the ball for the final shot? You think he didn't want it? What is he supposed to do? Tell them team not to run the play the coach called? The same coach who drafted him and built the team around him? It's just not as simple as demanding a pass from a teammate. There may come a day when what Dirk wants is more important than what the coach wants, but it is a delicate situation and you can't expect him to sieze control of the team at that moment. It certainly looks like Dirk's power is growing, but to go against the coach is a monumental step. Would KG go against Saunders in the same situation?
You want the Finley bashing to stop? It will stop when he decides to play defense, rebound, and take the ball to the basket, other than once in a blue moon. It will stop when he decides to be the "heart and soul" or "leader" he is supposed to be and show up more often than not, when it counts. Besides, we are all talking about this series only. Finley deserves plenty of criticism for this series, so that's what he's getting. Nothing more, nothing less. And nobody is on here singing Nash's praises, or making excuses for him. He deserves criticism, and he's getting it. Dirk doesn't deserve it, so he's NOT getting it.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #55
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Day1MavsFan
Max Power-
What are you smoking?
What are YOU smoking? I didn't make a personal insult towards you but I'm willing to start anytime you like - your intelligence would make an easy target.

Quote:
Nobody puts there best offensive player on the other team's best offensive player, regardless of how good a defender he is. You wouldn't have seen KG or Duncan guarding Webber.
When the game is on the line - yes they do. For the first 3/4 of the game, no. Why get in foul trouble?

Quote:
Fact is, Dirk is a decent defender.
You have a VERY liberal definition of decent. I have never seen anyone who is not a Mavs fan who will call him that.

Quote:
You think he's worse than Duncan or KG? Then how is it that Dirk lights it up against them?
Great defense can't always stop great offense. But great defense is better than "decent" defense.

Quote:
A big, big part of defense is help-side. There are very few one-on-one stoppers out there. You've got your Ben Wallace's, but the list is short. It so happens that Najera IS one of the better on the ball defenders in the league at times.
You lost me here. You think NAJERA is one of the better defenders in the league? Please.

Quote:
All of the all-star big men, get taken to school by the other good offensive big men.
No, Dirk isn't in there taking charges, but he can't afford to try. We can't afford to have him on the bench if he doesn't get the call. As it is, he will get fouls that are a result of our poor perimeter defense. You don't see Duncan and KG taking charges either.
The other two players that you mentioned play a lot more physical than Dirk and thus the refs allow it because it is "part of their game". It should be part of Dirk's game too.

Quote:
Blocking shots is another big part of defense, and Dirk gets blocks.
Dirk got 5 blocks in game one. And what was the shooting percentage of the Kings that game?

Quote:
We all know Dirk hasn't been a good defender in the past. Not true this year. As far as this series goes, Dirk is flat getting it done defensively. Miller and Divac are no slouches on offense. The Kings big men have really torn us up so far, right? For you to come on this board and criticize Dirk's defense these 2 games is ludicrous, irresponsible, and, frankly, in poor taste.
Miller is injured - badly injured. He shouldn't even be playing right now. Divac is washed up. For you to think otherwise is ludicrous and irresponsible.

And I don't give a rat's ass what you think of my taste.

Quote:
You want to talk about Dirk demanding the ball for the final shot? You think he didn't want it?
Prove he wanted it.

Quote:
What is he supposed to do? Tell them team not to run the play the coach called? The same coach who drafted him and built the team around him? It's just not as simple as demanding a pass from a teammate. There may come a day when what Dirk wants is more important than what the coach wants, but it is a delicate situation and you can't expect him to sieze control of the team at that moment. It certainly looks like Dirk's power is growing, but to go against the coach is a monumental step. Would KG go against Saunders in the same situation?
Jordan got a bad coach fired. So did Magic. Both of them got their coaches fired very early in their career. I think them doing so made the next coach do the job the way he is supposed to AND GET THE BALL TO DIRK IN THE CRITICAL POSSESSIONS.

Quote:
You want the Finley bashing to stop? It will stop when he decides to play defense, rebound, and take the ball to the basket, other than once in a blue moon. It will stop when he decides to be the "heart and soul" or "leader" he is supposed to be and show up more often than not, when it counts. Besides, we are all talking about this series only. Finley deserves plenty of criticism for this series, so that's what he's getting. Nothing more, nothing less.
The funny thing is this. Finley didn't receive much praise on this board (or any other) for the incredible post season he had last year. When he's off, he gets ripped. When Finley is on, he gets ignored. REAAALLLY fair treatment.

Quote:
And nobody is on here singing Nash's praises, or making excuses for him. He deserves criticism, and he's getting it. Dirk doesn't deserve it, so he's NOT getting it.
The Mavs can win this series if Finley has a bad series and Nash has a good series. The Mavs CAN NOT win the series if Finley has the good series and Nash continues to stink it up. Yet Finley is getting the rips. REAAALLLY fair treatment again.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #56
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

back to Finley....he is no on court leader....he just cant get it ON THE COURT.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #57
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
back to Finley....he is no on court leader....he just cant get it ON THE COURT.
He sure did play well last year in the WCF against the Spurs. Mavs fans have short memories I guess.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #58
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even have an issue with finley in this series. But if a player isn't getting it done, the coach needs to fine another way. It looks to me like he's hurt and notoriously he comes back slow. HOWEVER and this one is all about want to and guts. He does NOT take it to the hoop. Anyone and I mean anyone can sit out there and throw up 3ptr's. But no one gets a free pass when they are not hitting them nor rebounding.

When mike is hitting 3ptrs this is a really tough team to beat. But if he's not then we have to go somewhere else. Mike may have used to be the leader on the floor but he is not any longer. Both dirk and stevie are more important. Mainly it's because mikes game has stagnated to be honest.

I don't know if he works as hard on his game as the others, but I doubt it, since there isn't any improvement in it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #59
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Max Power-
What are you smoking?
What are YOU smoking? I didn't make a personal insult towards you but I'm willing to start anytime you like - your intelligence would make an easy target.

Quote:
Nobody puts there best offensive player on the other team's best offensive player, regardless of how good a defender he is. You wouldn't have seen KG or Duncan guarding Webber.
When the game is on the line - yes they do. For the first 3/4 of the game, no. Why get in foul trouble?

Quote:
You have a VERY liberal definition of decent. I have never seen anyone who is not a Mavs fan who will call him that.

Quote:
You think he's worse than Duncan or KG? Then how is it that Dirk lights it up against them?
Great defense can't always stop great offense. But great defense is better than "decent" defense.

Quote:
A big, big part of defense is help-side. There are very few one-on-one stoppers out there. You've got your Ben Wallace's, but the list is short. It so happens that Najera IS one of the better on the ball defenders in the league at times.
You lost me here. You think NAJERA is one of the better defenders in the league? Please.

Quote:
All of the all-star big men, get taken to school by the other good offensive big men.
No, Dirk isn't in there taking charges, but he can't afford to try. We can't afford to have him on the bench if he doesn't get the call. As it is, he will get fouls that are a result of our poor perimeter defense. You don't see Duncan and KG taking charges either.
The other two players that you mentioned play a lot more physical than Dirk and thus the refs allow it because it is "part of their game". It should be part of Dirk's game too.

Quote:
Dirk got 5 blocks in game one. And what was the shooting percentage of the Kings that game?

Quote:
Miller is injured - badly injured. He shouldn't even be playing right now. Divac is washed up. For you to think otherwise is ludicrous and irresponsible.

Quote:
You want to talk about Dirk demanding the ball for the final shot? You think he didn't want it?
Prove he wanted it.

Quote:
What is he supposed to do? Tell them team not to run the play the coach called? The same coach who drafted him and built the team around him? It's just not as simple as demanding a pass from a teammate. There may come a day when what Dirk wants is more important than what the coach wants, but it is a delicate situation and you can't expect him to sieze control of the team at that moment. It certainly looks like Dirk's power is growing, but to go against the coach is a monumental step. Would KG go against Saunders in the same situation?
Jordan got a bad coach fired. So did Magic. Both of them got their coaches fired very early in their career. I think them doing so made the next coach do the job the way he is supposed to AND GET THE BALL TO DIRK IN THE CRITICAL POSSESSIONS.

Quote:
You want the Finley bashing to stop? It will stop when he decides to play defense, rebound, and take the ball to the basket, other than once in a blue moon. It will stop when he decides to be the "heart and soul" or "leader" he is supposed to be and show up more often than not, when it counts. Besides, we are all talking about this series only. Finley deserves plenty of criticism for this series, so that's what he's getting. Nothing more, nothing less.
The funny thing is this. Finley didn't receive much praise on this board (or any other) for the incredible post season he had last year. When he's off, he gets ripped. When Finley is on, he gets ignored. REAAALLLY fair treatment.

Quote:
And nobody is on here singing Nash's praises, or making excuses for him. He deserves criticism, and he's getting it. Dirk doesn't deserve it, so he's NOT getting it.
The Mavs can win this series if Finley has a bad series and Nash has a good series. The Mavs CAN NOT win the series if Finley has the good series and Nash continues to stink it up. Yet Finley is getting the rips. REAAALLLY fair treatment again.
Lordy these point-by-point conversations are a whip. By the end of them you forget what the whole point is.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #60
superman

superman is on a distinguished road

I for one thought that Dirk played extremely good help defense in both games. He's blocking shots and changing shots at the rim, and his hands have been active in the passing lanes. I'm impressed with Dirk's defense.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #61
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

[quote]
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Max Power-
What are you smoking?
Quote:
You took that as a insult? Please. You making comments about my intelligence is undoubtedly an insult, however, and that makes you a hypocrite.

Quote:
Quote:
So, you agree with me 3/4 of the time.

Quote:
Quote:
That's because of the past. It takes a while for people to get over a reputation and start saying the "new truth".

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it never does against Dirk, considering how good he is in the playoffs and when the game is on the line. Uhh, yes great defense would be better than decent defense every time, and your point is what?

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, at times, as I said. You saw it against Webber. If you watch much, you have seen it against Yao, and even Shaq on occasion, as well as lots of big men. So, then who are all the great defenders, if you know so much?

Quote:
Quote:
I won't argue that Dirk could be more physical, and that it might make him even better. But being physical and a good defender aren't necessarily synonymous, see D. Fortson. So, maybe those two do play more physical, but that doesn't mean they are better defenders than is Dirk. I might agree that they are slightly ahead of him, but that's it.

Quote:
Quote:
It was zero on those 5 shots. So, now you are blaming it all on Dirk? You think giving up a high fg% means that EVERY SINGLE player on the team didn't play good D? Please be logical. If you can recount shots against Dirk then fine, otherwise you have no point.

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't heard anybody say that Miller is still injured. He looks ineffective, not injured. I don't see him limping around. He averages 14 points on 51% shooting in 36 minutes. Vlade averages 10 points on 47% shooting in 28 minutes. You'd think those averages would go up against our soft post defenders, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prove he wanted it.
What, you think this is a playground?

Quote:
Quote:
You are right, and I thought of them. You should be the one to say that Dirk isn't on their level, as you think less of him than I do. So, he doesn't have that kind of power, yet.

Quote:
Quote:
Incredible post season? What a joke. One good series, does not an incredible post season make. He sucked the first two series. He wasn't ignored by me in that Spurs series. He kept us in it while Dirk was hurt and the others struggled. I was ready to ship him out of here before that series, then I decided I'd give him another year.

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, but Nash IS getting ripped. Not as much as Finley, because he isn't sucking as bad. Another thing that gets Finley ripped is his lack of effort, which is not the case with Steve. Finley isn't going to the hole or rebounding or playing defense. At least Nash is putting a little more effort in.

Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #62
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Incredible post season? What a joke. One good series, does not an incredible post season make. He sucked the first two series. He wasn't ignored by me in that Spurs series. He kept us in it while Dirk was hurt and the others struggled. I was ready to ship him out of here before that series, then I decided I'd give him another year.
Finley averaged 19.3 points, 6.0 boards (2nd on the team), chipped in 3.7 assists, and led the Mavs in steals for the Sacremento series. I guess you didn't notice that did you?

Quote:
You're right, but Nash IS getting ripped. Not as much as Finley, because he isn't sucking as bad. Another thing that gets Finley ripped is his lack of effort, which is not the case with Steve. Finley isn't going to the hole or rebounding or playing defense. At least Nash is putting a little more effort in.
Where is this Nash criticism? The only people who even mention Nash are the Finley fans who are pointing out that Finley isn't the only one stinking out there. And as I pointed out, Nash is KILLING us where Finley is only hurting us.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 AM   #63
dude1394
Guru

Here's one: Stevie

PopcornMachine.net has a feature that lets you see how a player does in the time that he is there. Here are the mavs in the 4th quarter.

Dal-Sac

Eddie - FG 2-3, Reb 7(5Off)
AJ - FG 0-1
JHo - FG 0-4, Reb 5 (4Off)
Marq - FG 1-3, FT 2-2, Reb 2
pb[Nash - FG 1-8, 3PT 0-2, FT 1-2 (ouch)[/b]
Dirk - FG 3-6, 3Pt 0-1, FT 2-2, Reb 2
Mike - FG 0-2, 3Pt 0-1, Reb 1.

Maybe Eddie should have taken the last shot.