Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #81
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Finley, Jamison to Portland? Say it aint so!

If this is true & Nellie wants to go small,
Nash
Delk
Wells
Dirk
Sheed
Thats a damn good blend of offense & defense. Throw in Walkers average to slightly above average D & Best, Bradley & Howard off of the bench & by late in the season or next season, we would be a decent to good defensive team without giving up any offense.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Finley, Jamison to Portland? Say it aint so!

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I've got a question for everyone on this topic. If this trade were real, home much longer do you think it would set the Mavs back in jelling for this season?

Personally, I think that we would be at least 30 games into the season before we would have a decent chances of jelling.
LRB: I guess the better question is how many games are you (or better, the Mavs) willing to toss in order to have the best possible chance to win a ring?....

MFF: WOULDN'T BE TO concerned with mindset of Finley, he has been in trade talk for the past several seasons...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #83
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
If this is true & Nellie wants to go small,
Nash
Delk
Wells
Dirk
Sheed
Thats a damn good blend of offense & defense. Throw in Walkers average to slightly above average D & Best, Bradley & Howard off of the bench & by late in the season or next season, we would be a decent to good defensive team without giving up any offense.
dirk, if they traded Jamison, Walker would not come off the bench...he is not that type of guy....he needs touches, his ego to be stroked, and a starting spot to be happy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #84
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

I did not really mena start the game small, I was refering to an in game sub. If Nellie went small, as I stated above, we would actualy have some guys on the floor that enyoyed playing D.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #85
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
I've got a question for everyone on this topic. If this trade were real, home much longer do you think it would set the Mavs back in jelling for this season?

Personally, I think that we would be at least 30 games into the season before we would have a decent chances of jelling.
LRB: I guess the better question is how many games are you (or better, the Mavs) willing to toss in order to have the best possible chance to win a ring?....

MFF: WOULDN'T BE TO concerned with mindset of Finley, he has been in trade talk for the past several seasons...
Sike, the question that I was really trying to ask is are we willing to throw away a chance to win this year for a possible better chance in future years? This trade wouldn't definitely throw away this years opportunity, but it would start to bring it into jeapordy if we took too long to jell. If we take too long we might not even make the playoffs. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

I agree then, we would have a whole line that truely can play some authentic "D"....like a breath of fresh air....oh well, this trade won't happen now..wait until the deadline.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #87
sike
The Preacha

[quote]
[quote]
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB This trade wouldn't definitely throw away this years opportunity, but it would start to bring it into jeapordy if we took too long to jell. If we take too long we might not even make the playoffs. Unlikely, but not impossible.
LRB,
you need to explain "why?" the trade would "throw away" this year??? what are you baseing this on???? is there any evidence to say that this trade would ruin team chemistry anymore that it seems to be right now...
or are you just speaking about logistics...it would take too much time to learn the system....(poor Fortson, he never will learn)

Old 11-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #88
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

[quote]
[quote]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB This trade wouldn't definitely throw away this years opportunity, but it would start to bring it into jeapordy if we took too long to jell. If we take too long we might not even make the playoffs. Unlikely, but not impossible.
LRB,
you need to explain "why?" the trade would "throw away" this year??? what are you baseing this on???? is there any evidence to say that this trade would ruin team chemistry anymore that it seems to be right now...
or are you just speaking about logistics...it would take too much time to learn the system....(poor Fortson, he never will learn)
If the trade did go through, we would basically have to start over in jelling as a team. There are some questions about the personalities of Bonzi and Rasheed that might make jelling more difficult. If this team takes too long to jell we will not have a good chance of getting homecourt advantage and in the extreme example not even making the playoffs. If we do make the playoffs we could very easily end up like Houston did the year they had Hakeem, Pippen, and Barkley together. The took too long to jell and didn't do anything in the playoffs. That team had serious chemistry issues. That would be a gamble on bringing in 2 known players with existing chemistry issues.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #89
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

There is the possibility that the Mavs organization doesn't believe that this current group will 'gel' in a manner that would truly give them the opportunity to compete for a title. Also, it's conceivable that even if this team does 'gel' and reaches it's potential that they STILL wouldn't be able to play enough defense to compete for the title as the West continues to improve.

Yes, it would be a risky move. But, it could have greater rewards than the current group. However, it could also have the potential to blow up in the Mavs' face (similar to the current group)

How long would it take to gel? Yes, it would take longer. However, I'm willing to bet that the team would at least consistently play better defense while they were attempting to gel on the offensive side.

Is it worth taking a look at this trade? of course
Is it worth making the deal?...alot of issues to discuss both pro and con
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #90
echo

echo is on a distinguished road

I know this trade is probably only rumour, but I have no doubt the Mavs are interested in Sheed. I'm interested in Sheed! Yes he has baggage and yes he has an attitude, but there isn't another big man available who could make the impact Sheed could. Sorry folks Jermaine O'Neal and Ben Wallace are not available this year!

This rumoured deal also makes a lot of sense salary cap wise. Sheed would get one year to prove his worth, and if chemistry issues existed he would be sign-and-trade material next year. Fin and AJ's max contracts for 5 more years eliminated.

Also, Finley doesn't have a lot of value folks. With his contract and age, he would be the most difficult Mav to move. If the Mavs braintrust thinks he is in decline they know they would have to package him with someone else. Not a knock on Fin, but it is the truth.

Anyway this trade is only a rumor, but it's fun to speculate! I personally think the Mavs should be calling the Jazz to inquire about Ostertag's availibility. In 25 minutes a game, he sure could add some beef in the middle.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #91
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Is it worth making the deal?...alot of issues to discuss both pro and con
Murphy, I definitely agree with you on this one.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:25 PM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyway this trade is only a rumor, but it's fun to speculate! I personally think the Mavs should be calling the Jazz to inquire about Ostertag's availibility. In 25 minutes a game, he sure could add some beef in the middle.
good thing no one covers their walls with posters anymore. Between Bradley and Ostertag we would be on nearly 75% of all dunk posters worldwide.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #93
echo

No posters here! But Ostertag is, well beefy, and does clog up the lane, play defense, board and block shots. If I recall correctly, he isn't intimidated by Shaq. Anyway it's just fun speculation. I think the Mavs will eventually gel, but I don't like our odds of beating the Lakers or Spurs (with Duncan) this year.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:04 PM   #94
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I dont think we need to trade for Tag and if we do we shouldnt give up very much cause all indications have him coming to dallas next year and not for big money either
Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #95
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i would much rather do a walker/finley trade for derek anderson/wallace, then to swap to great character guys for the abyss that is wells and wallace.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:49 PM   #96
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
and as far as this trade is concerned, would PORT do the deal if the Mavs offered Walker instead of Jamsion? I see Walker as taking too many shots from Dirk....and Jamison i see as needing more touches......both could be accomplished with the removal of Walker!

it all may be dead point now, but it seems like trades like this that are romored now may have new life when teams are desperately looking for that extra piece at the deadline....so wait and see...the Mavs have pieces to trade..and those pieces will be of maximum value as teams try to make playoff pushes....
I agree with this totally. Jamison has some great qualities that this team needs badly.

1. Jamison has incredible character and a team instinct that fits in nicely with Dirk and Steve.
2. Jamison's shooting percentage is much higher than Walker's.
3. Jamison's has better hands receiving bullet passes when he is in the paint.
4. Jamison gets his shot off much quicker than Walker's and won't be blocked nearly as often.
5. Jamison finishes better than almost everyone on this team around the basket, he uses the board extremely well.
6. The Mavs need someone who can clean up after missed shots and put them back as easily as Jamison.

This is a major ROLE that the Mavs need badly. And Jamison is willing to do this role.

As far as getting rid of Walker, the only thing we will really miss is his passing. But, I think Nellie is overrating the point forward idea. It would be nice to have a player like this, but I believe Walker is not that man. These are some of the things we get rid of by dealing Walker.

1. Turnovers galore.
2. a 38% shooter.
3. a bad decision maker, especially with the game on the line.
4. Having to decide whether to extend his huge contract. I would rather worry about resigning Sheed.
5. a quasi-leader that no one really wants as a leader.

Fin is definately on the downside of his career, with shooting percentage hitting career lows last year, and looking to be even WORSE this year. He made some huge plays last night for us, but they are too few and far between for someone with his huge salary. I would miss Fin as a person that has a heart of gold. He was the backbone of this franchise for many years. But sooner or later we have to trade him within two years or we will be stuck with a huge contract for a bench player. The sooner we trade him, the more value we will get in return.

The only drawback of the Fin/Walker trade for Wells/Wallace would be the possibility of a complete rebelling of Wells/Wallace from the rest of the team. Can they relate to a bunch of good guys and become working members of a team that they used to call "soft", or will they segregate themselves from the others and look for escapism through the smoke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Remember how the Walker deal came on the very day that the Warrior's players were eligible to be traded again. It could be the same thing all over again with this trade. In other words, the deal won't be consumated until Dec. 21st when Walker is eligible to be traded. Let the waiting begin.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #97
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Wallace is a talent no doubt, but I want nothing to do with the talented Bozo Wells. Phil Simms said something today about Bill Parcells when he got the Cowboys job. One of his first things to do as the Cowboy coach was to get rid of the rats. Rats kill the interior of a team. Bozo Wells is a rat!

I also really like Jamison. I hope he is a Mav for a long time. There could be a future trade for the Mavs, but now is not the time. I would much rather have Jamison long term than Walker, eventhough he has been fine here. Although I think Jamison has more trade value than Walker.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:52 PM   #98
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Anyway this trade is only a rumor, but it's fun to speculate! I personally think the Mavs should be calling the Jazz to inquire about Ostertag's availibility. In 25 minutes a game, he sure could add some beef in the middle.[/quote]

Aren't the Jazz in first place in the Midwest right now? That won't last, but maybe the Jazz can make a run at the number 8 playoff spot. Doubtful, but could be something to go for. We have nothing that would interest them for Ostertag. Maybe Howard but the Mavs don't want to trade Howard. Ostertag is a free agent next year, so they could either get something more from him or get his cap space next year.

I keep on repeating the Ostertag and Dale Davis are very real candidates next year for the Mavs. A good chance both will hit free agency next year. Davis will almost positively hit fa, Ostertag has a good chance.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:48 PM   #99
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I disagree. I think more teams would take walker. He is a little more versatile and his contract is shorter. ALthough id rather have Jamison on our team cuz he fits us better
Old 11-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #100
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I think it just depends on what the individual team wants, or need for that matter. I like keeping jamison here..he's a great player that has good work ethic. I like Walker for now

Im sure we'll get some type of propositional trades from other teams involving both walker and jamison, but we need jamison much more so than Walker. Jamison is a true s/f that prefers to play closer to the basket and can do the little things that put a team ove the top while also providing the potential to come through majorly in the clutch if needed. Walker is older and more experienced..but we already have a great p/f in dirk ...lets see how things work out, and if they dont, then see what we can get for walker.

Cuban should definitely not trade any of the big three ..it'll mess with the team more than most people suspect ...Dirk, nash, and fin have a special bond that should not be broken up.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #101
sike
The Preacha

give me AJ for sure!

Old 11-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #102
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

i heard about this in the papers. i dont think they will do this though
Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #103
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Duplicate post. [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #104
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Reading about the mav's interest in Bonzi made me think about this old thread. Looking back, would you do this trade? Does this trade change Cuban's decision on Nash, as well as Nelly's decision on coaching?

Hypothetical roster, assuming Nash was signed and the same trades were made:

Wallace/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/KVB/Hendu
Josh/Najera/TAW
Bonzi/Daniels
Nash/JET

(Nash, master of the run-n-gun) + (Bonzi/Daniels, post-up guards) + (Dirk/Rasheed/KVB, three 6'10"- 7' who can shoot the three) + (JET, deadly 3 point shooting 6th man) = Nelly's dream team?

Would have been fun to watch.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #105
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

That would have been amazing. Cuban should have made that trade.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #106
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Speedy
Reading about the mav's interest in Bonzi made me think about this old thread. Looking back, would you do this trade? Does this trade change Cuban's decision on Nash, as well as Nelly's decision on coaching?

Hypothetical roster, assuming Nash was signed and the same trades were made:

Wallace/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/KVB/Hendu
Josh/Najera/TAW
Bonzi/Daniels
Nash/JET

(Nash, master of the run-n-gun) + (Bonzi/Daniels, post-up guards) + (Dirk/Rasheed/KVB, three 6'10"- 7' who can shoot the three) + (JET, deadly 3 point shooting 6th man) = Nelly's dream team?

Would have been fun to watch.
You're dead on with that one.....
Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #107
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

This would have been the greatest trade in Mavs history.
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #108
Murphy3
Guru

Did you forget about the Big German?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #109
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Wallace/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/KVB/Hendu
Josh/Najera/TAW
Bonzi/Daniels
Nash/JET

If Bonzi & Sheeds head are right with ball this roster wins 63 games a year and is punking the entire league.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #110
echo

Quote:
Originally posted by: echo
I know this trade is probably only rumour, but I have no doubt the Mavs are interested in Sheed. I'm interested in Sheed! Yes he has baggage and yes he has an attitude, but there isn't another big man available who could make the impact Sheed could. Sorry folks Jermaine O'Neal and Ben Wallace are not available this year!

This rumoured deal also makes a lot of sense salary cap wise. Sheed would get one year to prove his worth, and if chemistry issues existed he would be sign-and-trade material next year. Fin and AJ's max contracts for 5 more years eliminated.

Also, Finley doesn't have a lot of value folks. With his contract and age, he would be the most difficult Mav to move. If the Mavs braintrust thinks he is in decline they know they would have to package him with someone else. Not a knock on Fin, but it is the truth.

Wow I just realized this was one of my first posts here. Notice how right I was about Finley's value? No wonder those peeps at db.com ran me off their board!!!

Anyway Sheed has a championship ring now.

And I was wrong about Ostertag [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #111
cripple balls

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Did you forget about the Big German?
oh yeah. f-me
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #112
cripple balls

Quote:
Originally posted by: PepperTheMavsFan41
Wallace/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/KVB/Hendu
Josh/Najera/TAW
Bonzi/Daniels
Nash/JET

If Bonzi & Sheeds head are right with ball this roster wins 63 games a year and is punking the entire league.
It definitley would be badass. Wallace isnt a center though. I would prefer Dampier, Dirk, Wallace, Bonzi & Nash and bringing in Josh as your six man.