Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Finley possibility

JD at LMF got me to thinking this morning after we heard the Orlando assistant GM's comments. He didn't specifically say that the Mavs and Orlando weren't going to trade -- he said the Magic weren't interested in Finley's contract. That leads to a natural question: Could their be a third team involved?

Here's a trade that makes some sense to me:

Dallas trades: Michael Finley
Dallas receives: Doug Christie and Tony Battie

Orlando trades: Doug Christie and Tony Battie
Orlando receives: Scot Pollard, Miller's contract, and Fred Jones

Indiana trades: Scot Pollard, Miller's contract, and Fred Jones
Indiana receives: Michael Finley

Dallas does it for the same reasons discussed when the rumor came out yesterday.

Orlando does it because they exchange expirers for expirers and get a young SG with upside in Fred Jones that could probably start for them.

Indiana does it because they're serious about competing for a title right now, and Finley would be an ideal 6th man for them and would fit nicely in a swing rotation with Artest and Jackson.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another Finley possibility

That looks like it would work for all three. It makes logical sense, with no one getting shafted. Therefore, it has no chance of ever happening............Sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Another Finley possibility

Quote:
Indiana does it because they're serious about competing for a title right now
Wish the Mavs were.

But still this trade makes more sense and IMO has a better chance of happening than the straight up trade with Orlando and I like it better than a straight up trade with Indy.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I like the deal from all 3 teams' points of view. Even Finley might like it in Indiana as they are a genuine contender as compared to Orlando.
Only issue I see is if Indiana is truly willing to fork out $52M over 3 yrs for a nice 6th man.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I just don't see the need for Finley in Indy. Stephen Jackson is a better play than Fin and will start at the SG. So do they trade for Fin to bring him off the bench?

Just doesn't make sense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

sounds like it works for everyone. I think orlando would love to get fred jones to team up with francis.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Fred Jones is only 26 years old, he is in the last year of his contract, he shoots it very well from 3, he is very athletic, he put up 11 ppg, and all three are expirers (Pollard, Jones, Millers contract). They would basically be spending $36,000,000 just in salary to "upgrade" Fred Jones to Michael Finley.

Not sure if it is worth it to the Pacers. Good idea for us though, just wish we could get Fred Jones too.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

I don't think we will be able to unload Fins deal, unless it is for absolute crap. NO WAY are we getting expiring deals for Fin. Best case scenario is to do something like Sacramento did with Webber, take back contracts that are not all that great but at least you get some serviceable players, and easier to deal pieces.

Of course we need to find a team as desperate as Philly.
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote