Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-01-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default another Portland trade

with all the talk from articles about waiving whoever comes back for Fin, and Cubes seeming excited about TAW contract, and the unfinished retirement with Bradley, I thought this up. I'm sure every Portland possiblity has been discussed, but here we go.

Portland trades: NVE, Anderson, and Patterson
receives: Bradley, TAW and Fin

WHY: because Portland has a lot of youth, but not one dependable vet. Fin would be there to help, Telfair/Webster/Outlaw mature. Also the combination of DA and Patterson would be $15.4 in 05/06 and $16.5 in 06/07. which is very close to the 15.9 and 17.2 they would pay Fin. It's just the 3rd year thay'd have to worry about. BUT he would then be an expiring contract of 18.5, which would be valuable itself. And expires the same year as Ratliff's. Thats 30 mil in expiring in one year.
And the TAW and Bradley deals would be bought out.

Telfair/JAck
Fin/Webster
Miles/Krypaha
Randolph/Outlaw
Ratliff/Pryzbilla

Dallas trades: Fin,TAW, Bradley
receives: NVE, DA, and Patterson

WHY: NVE is waived for an immediate $12.7 in savings, Patterson would be bought out, and DA would be a good 2/3 off the bench. and is only on for the next 2 years at 9 mil per.
So Cubes saves money, and although Fin stays in West, he doesn't go to an immediate threat.

Jet/Harris
Daniels/DA
JHO/Stack
Dirk/KVH/JPO
Damp/(hunter?)/DJ

Also NVE's deal creates a lot of possiblities...................................... .................................................. ...pp?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: another Portland trade

Can NVE be traded w/o picking up his last year -- since it is a "team option"?
I don't see Patterson as a Mav ever -- since Nellie is still around, and called him, I believe, dumb as a rock.
Anderson might make a good bench guy.

Why include the Bradley and TAW extra though? Fin for Patterson/Anderson works, and then they could just cut the NVE contract, saving them from having to buy out Bradley and TAW. If Dallas immediately cut Patterson, he would still have 12M left to pay Patterson, and 14M for Anderson. 52 vs 102 is a big savings though.

This trade would be on the list, but not high on the list with what you are getting back, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand, Van Exel's contract does not include a team option for next year. Rather, it is simply a non-guaranteed contract. So he could be traded and then his new team could simply waive him.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure about the "non-guarenteed" or "team option"... I just remember reading that he had changed it so that the Mavs would make the trade from Denver. That might be semantics anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking trade, it's a big difference. If you're talking Portland simply being rid of him next year, then yes, I don't suppose it makes much of a difference one way or the other.

But still and all, since Portland evidently doesn't want to take on any additional salary, I can't see him traded.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote