Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to date your best friends little sister?
Yes, you should never date your best friends sister 6 14.63%
No, its fine 11 26.83%
No, as long as you talk to him first. 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #201
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
if you don't think that people are people and have had the exact same problems throughout the centuries(in the most part)...then I'd suggest that you might need to actually look at the problems of past cultures and compare them with ours today...most are the same.
Now, this is an interesting proposition. A lot of the bible is written for the benefits of a small group of people whose number one priority in life was simply to survive. To say that 2000 years later everyone in the civilized world faces the same plight is...well, just not the case at all.

There was a time when it was necessary to go forth and multiply. Now you can have only one kid in China, what with all the overcrowding of the population. How do you reconcile something like this?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #202
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

There was a time when it was necessary to go forth and multiply. Now you can have only one kid in China, what with all the overcrowding of the population. How do you reconcile something like this?
well bud, that was a command given to a specific group when there were no other people.

that is only a problem is one fails to use logic. For as you well pointed out, people never really had an issue populating...its all the other stuff that we've got issues with

and when I spoke to the commonality of people's "problms" from one generation to the next, I was thinking more of social issues (being peace makers, helping the poor, the widow, the orphan), personal/spiritual issues (loving your neighbor,your enemy, the problem of pride and arrogance, loving and serving God from a pure conscience and full heart, etc)

of course there are a very small number of ethical issues that we have thay the Biblical culture did not (cloning, stem cell, etc) but most moral issues that are common to men in our time, were also common to all men of all time. Dispite our advances in the realm of science, art, etc, humanity is still pretty much the same...that is what I meant that we have mostly the same "problems"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 09-01-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #203
D-Ball

D-Ball will become famous soon enough

So 5-0, have you come any closer to a decision?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #204
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

To me, sike, those things aren't really the thrust of the bible, the way I see it. Those kind of social mores predate the bible, and they continue to exist in plentiful quantity among individuals and cultures who don't sucribe to the bible and may not have even read it.

I see the thrust of the bible as a historical artifact: a sort of guide, or cultural handbook, for a very oppressed group of people. Their struggle for survival absolutely informed their worldview, and the bible is a reflection of that.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #205
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
To me, sike, those things aren't really the thrust of the bible, the way I see it. Those kind of social mores predate the bible, and they continue to exist in plentiful quantity among individuals and cultures who don't sucribe to the bible and may not have even read it.

I see the thrust of the bible as a historical artifact: a sort of guide, or cultural handbook, for a very oppressed group of people. Their struggle for survival absolutely informed their worldview, and the bible is a reflection of that.
well, then you disagree about what the Bible says about itself. That is straight forward and plain to see. The Bible is very clear as to it's "thrust". It is not written has a history text to tell a people's story but rather as a guidebook for men to come to God.

Oh, I agree that there is a moral law that God has put into the heart of every man, that is why we see in every culture at least a sense of right and wrong.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #206
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ball
So 5-0, have you come any closer to a decision?
great question!

all this hijacking has gotten us away from the point of this thread...

Last edited by sike; 09-01-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #207
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

bump? whatever happened?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #208
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I decided against it. Way too many reasons not to. We may revisit it in a year or so when she is in college too but for now, i will stick to dating other people that are in college. It came down to aside from the possibility of screwing up things with my best friend who btw did say he was totally fine with it if I decided too, I would feel more than a little creepy dating a girl in HS when im a junior in college. That just seems a little weird to me. Not to mention we live in different towns as well so again just way to many reasons not to. Its cool though, I think im gonna end up dating someone in my business analysis class.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #209
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you . Sounds like the right thing to do. Revisit when she is a little older.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #210
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

How about the mom?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #211
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Sounds like a good decision 5-0, I'm glad it worked out for you.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #212
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

New Poll Question: Is it okay for your best friend to date YOUR little sister?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #213
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have an older sister but yeah i would be cool with them dating. It would depend on the best friend though. I happen to know mine is a great guy so it wouldnt bother me but if I knew he was a dog then no it wouldnt.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #214
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It depends on the friend, but I'd prolly tell him that he could do better than my sister

I prolly wouldn't have a porblem with it though.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #215
Five-ofan
Guru

Just an fyi, this is a GOD AWFUL idea for anyone else that thinks about trying this. We never actually ended up dating and its still messing everything up. Just stay as far away from this as possible.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #216
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

lol I forgot about this thread. This needs to be moved to the classic threads section if we ever make one.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #217
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wow, i had to re-read this. I wish you had the ability to give yourself positive rep, cause i would give myself like a kajillion points. hilarious zingers in every post, while still being thought-provoking? amazing posting skills. I should teach a class.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #218
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Lol at this thread and BBL

Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #219
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Just an fyi, this is a GOD AWFUL idea for anyone else that thinks about trying this. We never actually ended up dating and its still messing everything up. Just stay as far away from this as possible.
I don't want to be this guy, but....

I TOLD YOU SO
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 PM   #220
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

shoulda just doinked her and been done with it. no need for a relationship.

oh crap, i'm starting again...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #221
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

^he said doinked....
Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #222
fluid.forty.one

I second the doinking motion.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #223
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I second the doinking motion.
I move that we discontinue the demeaning doinking discussion directly, and diligently.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #224
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

haha, this thread is awesome! i forgot about this one too....so funny...Like this hasn't happened many times before, and every time the end result is a freaking train wreck.

BBL is right....tackle drunk bitches.

Edit, anyone know what movie that last quote is from?, Positive rep for the winner, and don't google it!

Last edited by MavsX; 05-23-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #225
Five-ofan
Guru

We never did have a relationship bbl, thats where the problem arose. Im still friends with her brother and to a certain extent still friends with her but its just an odd situation.

edit- this thread was hilarious though.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-23-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #226
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
Edit, anyone know what movie that last quote is from?, Positive rep for the winner, and don't google it!
If you are talking about the tackle drunk bitches quote.. that's from 40 year old virgin. That was funny, written into every mans DNA is the code to "tackle drunk bitches".

Giggle.

Tags
classic threads