Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-02-2006, 02:02 AM   #281
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I still hate their guts, but want them to beat phoenix. I'm not sure about the new lakers style. The suns really are pathetic defensively and even less physical.
Same here, I really don't see the Lakers getting past the Clippers. This is as far as they'll go. They were able to play a little better defensively over a completley offensvie minded team. The Clips will pound the ball inside with Brand and Kaman and it shouldnt be close. The Lakers might steal a game or two, but I don't see it going past 5-6 games.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #282
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Same here, I really don't see the Lakers getting past the Clippers. This is as far as they'll go. They were able to play a little better defensively over a completley offensvie minded team. The Clips will pound the ball inside with Brand and Kaman and it shouldnt be close. The Lakers might steal a game or two, but I don't see it going past 5-6 games.
Along those same lines, the Lakers bigs won't have the same decided advantage that they have had against the Suns. Phil's plan for the Suns was perfect. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with for the Clippers.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #283
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
What's most intriguing to be about this series is Kwame. Has he finally found whatever it was he was missing to be a quality starter?
Yes. He was missing an opponent with a 6'7", 220 pound starting center.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #284
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Yes. He was missing an opponent with a 6'7", 220 pound starting center.
Maybe so, but that has nothing to do with him passing the ball well.

I know the world has pretty much given up on Kwame Brown, but the kid's still got enormous potential. He was drafted 1st overall for a reason. He's not just another scrub that coaches want to give a chance just because he's a seven footer. He's got a whole arsenal of skills. Aside from being an athletic freak, he's got a decent post-game, plays pretty good defense, and his passing out of the post is nothing short of excellent.

Remember, he's still young. He just turned 24 in March, so for all intents and purposes, this was his rookie season, and it was a solid one. If he's finally got himself a pair, then he just might end up having himself an impressive NBA career.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #285
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not nearly the same situation, but let's not forget how many people had given up on Jermaine O'neal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #286
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.... here's my conspiracy theory post... first one ever. Okay, so I figured they would announce the MVP award before he gets knocked out of the playoffs. So they don't do it today.... perhaps the league has mandated that the Suns win tonight?

Anyone with me? Huh? Hello?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #287
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think its all rigged.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #288
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit it's kind of strange how they wait for these awards. COY, then Sixth Man...Will the DPOY be announced before MVP?

It is extremely anti-climactic with the results leaked two weeks before the announcement.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #289
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Okay.... here's my conspiracy theory post... first one ever. Okay, so I figured they would announce the MVP award before he gets knocked out of the playoffs. So they don't do it today.... perhaps the league has mandated that the Suns win tonight?

Anyone with me? Huh? Hello?
I call 'em like I see 'em.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #290
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Looks like there's gonna be at least one more game.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #291
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Looks like there's gonna be at least one more game.
There may be several, nashty. There may be several.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #292
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I just don't see how they are down to this team.... really......
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #293
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The artistry that Steve Nash has brought to this game tonight is beyind belief. The way he scores his baskets...no one else scores them that way. It's almost as though he is a combination of a guy from forty years past and forty years hence. Truly the most unique player to grace the hardwood these days.

The Suns are showing the Lakers how a championship-pedigree team behaves when the series is on the line. I pity the purple and gold.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #294
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The artistry that Steve Nash has brought to this game tonight is beyind belief. The way he scores his baskets...no one else scores them that way. It's almost as though he is a combination of a guy from forty years past and forty years hence. Truly the most unique player to grace the hardwood these days.

The Suns are showing the Lakers how a championship-pedigree team behaves when the series is on the line. I pity the purple and gold.
LOL.

Where was this "most unique player to grace the hardwood these days" when the Lakers were taking a commanding 3-1 lead in the series? The Lakers just have to win one of the next two games.

And I think Kobe and the Zen-master has far more "championship-pedigree" between the two of them than the entire Phoenix team. They've actually won a few of them.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #295
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Man, what the hell was that play by Raja?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #296
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Raja Bell:

Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #297
chumdawg
Guru

Some people might call Raja Bell a dirty player. I just call him dirty.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #298
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

there is obviously a double standard here.

Kobe elbowed bell a few plays ago, and his ass should've been tossed (2nd technical foul), but the refs swallowed their whistle. That elbow to the head by Kobe was clearly intentional. I love how Doug Collins never mentioned that, but Raja Bell retaliating is somehow a possible suspension in game 6.

what a joke.

Last edited by rakesh.s; 05-03-2006 at 12:08 AM.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #299
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
LOL.

Where was this "most unique player to grace the hardwood these days" when the Lakers were taking a commanding 3-1 lead in the series? The Lakers just have to win one of the next two games.

And I think Kobe and the Zen-master has far more "championship-pedigree" between the two of them than the entire Phoenix team. They've actually won a few of them.
He was laying in wait, MFFL. He was laying in wait.

Kobe and the Zen-master have never done it with the likes of Kwame Brown, Smash Parker, Luke Walton, and Sasha Danilovic. It's a different team for them, these days.

Nash's Suns, on the other hand--or at least Nash and Marion and Bell--are wizened by their hard-fought tilts against the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs in the previous year. They have the experience edge on this young and outmatched Lakers team.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #300
chumdawg
Guru

Steve Nash and his Suns are WAY under Kobe's skin!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #301
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What are you going to say Chum when Phoenix gets knocked out of the playoffs by these Lakers??? What then?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #302
chumdawg
Guru

I haven't given it even the slightest moment of thought, Dan. I consider it a rather far-fetched scenario.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #303
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Haha... OK man... OK... I have a bit of advice for you and your MVP though... Start considering it!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #304
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
there is obviously a double standard here.

Kobe elbowed bell a few plays ago, and his ass should've been tossed (2nd technical foul), but the refs swallowed their whistle. That elbow to the head by Kobe was clearly intentional. I love how Doug Collins never mentioned that, but Raja Bell retaliating is somehow a possible suspension in game 6.

what a joke.
Raja Bell absolutely deserves a suspension for that foul. I missed Kobe's elbow, so I can't say anything about that. But I am absolutely disgusted by Bell's behavior. Not only did he clothesline Kobe, but he intentionally followed through on it and made sure Kobe went straight to the ground. When did Bell turn into such an a-hole? When he was on the Mavs he was one of my favorite players. Now, I can't stand the guy.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #305
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The only people who can stand guys like Raja Bell and Bruce Bowen are their own team's fans. When you can't stop a guy, I guess you kick him in the face or give him a running lariat!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #306
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He was laying in wait, MFFL. He was laying in wait.
LOL.

He was just waiting for the Lakers to get overconfident and now he'll make his ninja nerve strike and send Kobe home crying.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #307
chumdawg
Guru

Ninja nerve strike, indeed! It is SO coming!

Hey, that wasn't Kobe that Bell clotheslined, was it? If it was, I'm pretty sure he'd be out not only for the next game but also for the whole next season.

The Suns asserted their dominance tonight (in more ways than one) and showed the Lakers what they are up against if they have designs on actually taking this series. The fun and games are over now. Now is when the rubber meets the road.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #308
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I assume these posts are at least a little bit tongue and cheek. I don't see how a team has "championship pedigree" when I'm pretty sure the only player who has ever been on a finals squad is Raja Bell. He played a total of 30 minues for the 00-01 Sixers who were crushed in the finals by, ahem, Phil's Lakers.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #309
Stranger
Golden Member

If the Suns can win in LA, they've got a great shot at taking the series, but we're still talking about the first round and the number 7 seed here.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #310
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Keep talking shit you overrated little turd nugget D'Antoni... Your team will be going home soon enough!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #311
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, my goodness, I just saw the replay, and to my shock it WAS Kobe that Raja clotheslined. My respect for the man just went up 100-fold! Congratulations, Raja. You are now the only guy in all of basketball--league offices included--who is not afraid of Kobe Bryant.

And...I think we all saw how fast Kobe retreated from that.

Last edited by chumdawg; 05-03-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #312
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
I assume these posts are at least a little bit tongue and cheek. I don't see how a team has "championship pedigree" when I'm pretty sure the only player who has ever been on a finals squad is Raja Bell. He played a total of 30 minues for the 00-01 Sixers who were crushed in the finals by, ahem, Phil's Lakers.
I mean it in relative terms, Stranger. The Lakers have a bunch of guys who have probably never even been in a meaningful playoff game.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #313
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

They were in three meaningfull playoff WINS against DA SUNS!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #314
chumdawg
Guru

Gimme a break! That's when the Suns were playing possum!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #315
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

So does anyone think that Nash's 4 assists made Boris Diaw the player that he was tonight? I doubt it.

(25 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnover)

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #316
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh, my goodness, I just saw the replay, and to my shock it WAS Kobe that Raja clotheslined. My respect for the man just went up 100-fold! Congratulations, Raja. You are now the only guy in all of basketball--league offices included--who is not afraid of Kobe Bryant.

And...I think we all saw how fast Kobe retreated from that.
Seriously man... Are you kidding me???

So taking Kobe on as a challenge means you have to resort to clotheslines??? If that increases your respect for Bell then... Well, I will just be nice...

Oh, and what did you want Kobe to do? Jump up and punch him in the mouth??? Nah, he would rather punch them where it hurts... By taking away the second round from the FAKE MVP.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #317
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Surely your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek Chum... Surely!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #318
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Phil Jackson had a great couple of comments when asked about whether or not Bell should be suspended... He basically said: "Nah, why would he... He didn't throw a punch or anything like that... We want him out there"

Haha... I enjoyed that... Get ready for Game 6 Suns... Get ready!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #319
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Seriously man... Are you kidding me???

So taking Kobe on as a challenge means you have to resort to clotheslines??? If that increases your respect for Bell then... Well, I will just be nice...

Oh, and what did you want Kobe to do? Jump up and punch him in the mouth??? Nah, he would rather punch them where it hurts... By taking away the second round from the FAKE MVP.
Exactly. And Kobe said that they were playing 80's style physical basketball out there, the kind that he grew up playing. The kind that Bill Lambier used to play.

So yes, I am saying that Raja Bell pretty much has bigger nuts than anyone else currently going. That's the way the game was played at one time. A team didn't just sit there and let a guy score 81 against them, if they had any pride about them.

Praise Raja Bell. I'm here to tell you, if a guy was throwing elbows into my jaw, I'd respond, too. And I wouldn't care if he was the most protected guy in the NBA. I'd put that guy flat on his ass, just like Raja Bell did.

Kobe may say that he liked it, but Kobe will remember it.

And isn't that what hard fouls are about? You want them to remember it, right?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #320
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

There is a difference between a hard foul and that crap Raja pulled... Most hard fouls dont get you tossed... And most don't potentially cost your team by getting you suspended in the playoffs... That was REAL smart on his part!