Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default So Im looking for a roommate on Craigslist

and I get the following message.

Quote:
# you can be fined more than $10,000 for each discriminatory ad, plus damages in court, plus loss of license if you are a professional

# avoid phrases which could be interpreted as discriminating by race/color/origin (e.g. "hispanic area" or "asian building"), religion (e.g. "christian household"), age / familial status (e.g. "no kids" or "prefer student"), disability, or sexual orientation
http://www.craigslist.org/about/FHA.html

I'm looking for a young person like myself, female preferred, maybe a student and I definitely dont want kids (its a tiny 2-bedroom), but if I post those preferences I can not only be fined $10,000 I can also be sued?!? So instead of being free to ask whatever I want in an ad, I had to put a generic ad up and screen calls (about 35 so far, all out of the age range I wanted or with kids, or male...)

Just seems pretty ridiculous. I mean I'm not posting anything offensive. It's not like I'm a huge property manager trying to keep the city segregated on racial lines. I'm just looking to sublet a 2bedroom apartment I leased in my name.

Government gone to far.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-19-2007 at 01:55 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have to prove their citizenship?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all

I think those restrictions apply more when you're leasing out a whole unit, rather than just a room. If you're looking for a roommate common sense would argue that you should be able to say 'no kids' or 'prefer another student' or 'no minorities.' just kidding on that last one.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to Email the site admin and see if it was okay to ask for "no breeders or crackers" in my ad just to see if those were considered bad enough to warrant an immediate ban.

Anyway, there is an exemption for small property owners to make the decision based on age and all that, but they still cannot advertise with "phrases which could be interpreted as discriminating"

and no there isnt anything about citizenship. I could ask for proof if I wanted I guess.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-19-2007 at 02:31 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's your apartment. You get to make the decision ultimately, you should be able to advertise how you want. Next thing you know you won't be able to turn someone down for a date because of their race, gender, religion...

Oh and if you need help picking your young female student roommate, just ummm post some pictures here, and d-m.com will be of course happy to help you pick the right one.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If I had my way, there wouldn't be an FHA.

Then you'd only have to worry about whatever crazy laws Arizona came up with. Just like how the founding fathers intended it!
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i would think that if the ad was inappropriate they would just remove the ad. Common sense tells me all those threats and promises by craigslist are there just for legal jargon. They would just remove the link....

and that is bullshit, free f&cking country..you decided who you want to live with based on what is comfortable with you

at the end of your ad, you should put "no crips", for no cripples.

haha, next thing you know they move in and they sue you to make you install a electric ramp and elevator

Last edited by MavsX; 05-21-2007 at 01:40 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote