Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-09-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Grammys

What did you guys think? I didn't watch the whole thing, but I was really excited to see that Outkast won album of the year. I would have preferred to see the White Stripes, but whaddya gonna do?

Thoughts?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Grammys

I lost faith in the Grammy's when the Soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" beat out "All That You Can't Leave Behind" for Album of the Year. edit: That was for the year 2001 by the way....

I will say, however that Andre 3000 is one entertaining performer. It's fun to see someone that doesn't have to take themselves so seriously all the time.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default RE:Grammys

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I lost faith in the Grammy's when the Soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" beat out "All That You Can't Leave Behind" for Album of the Year. edit: That was for the year 2001 by the way....

I will say, however that Andre 2000 is one entertaining performer. It's fun to see someone that doesn't have to take themselves so seriously all the time.

U2 - normally I'd be right there with you...but O' Brother was a phenomenal disc that literally changed the landscape of popular music. It was groundbreaking. While "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was incredible - it didn't create the tectonic shift that O Brother did. But, I understand you have a bias...

I was glad to see June Carter Cash get a little love (albeit posthumously) at the Grammys...
Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

while I respect the days gone by...........lets not give 59 (or whatever) life time achievement awards in one sitting......man that drug the whole thing out!!!

Beyonce stole the show with that freakin awesome song!!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Beyonce was good, but I thought that Christina song was nice. Well not the song so much.... I didn't notice the singing part. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

*What was up with Christinas hair? I swear she looked her best before she made it big. She looks more and more tricked out every year.

*I thought it was cool to see Sting sing with Sean Paul. Talk about two singers on opposite ends of the spectrum hooking up.

*Is it me or is Ellen Degeneres's comedy routine getting old and stale?

*Outkast was off the hook, and what do you call those dance moves that Andre 2000 was dishing out?

*Can someone please tell George Clinton that's it time to hang it up. He HAS lost the funk, im sorry.

*June Carter Cash? Best country vocal artist? hmmm, I guess I'm in the minority in trying to figure out how she won other than what it looked like.

*Justin Timberlake is getting on my nerves...the guy seemed to show up in everybody elses set. Did anybody notice he just somehow appeared on stage with the Black Eyed Peas. That's ok Justin, I think the BEP's can handle it without you.

*Anybody notice how 50 cent dissed Evanessence when they beat him out for newcomer of the year. How pathetic!!

*Does the Grammy's never have a host? They needed one this year.

*Here's a thought. How did Janet Jackson get cut off from the Grammy's and Justin seemed to be everywhere. Boy, I think Justin just threw Janet under the bus it didn't even look back. Great Guy!!

*Overall, was not impressed as I was in past years. This is supposed to be the Super Bowl of the Music awards and it turned into a Super DUD!!
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

First of all, it's Andre 3000, fellas. And as far as his dancing goes...I think it just adds to his greatness.

Though I too hated Justin Timberlake being out there with the Black Eyed Peas, he did in fact sing the chorus on the recorded version of the song, so it was his right to be out there.

I enjoyed the George Clinton performance alot.

The Grammy's traditionally has a host, but this year decided to have a collection of comedians do it. One host is definitely better, John Stewart did a great job a few years ago.

50 walking across the stage was a little rough, but he should have won the award. All respect due to Evanescence, but 50 changed rap this year, becoming the most played artist on the radio since Biggie. If you look at the top 10 hip-hop songs this year, 50 is on at least four of them.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #8
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Timberlake only got on the show under the condition that he apologize on the air. Janet Jackson refused.

Really mad that I missed it. I heard Arturo Sandoval was off the hook.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I can sum up my interest in the Grammys in one word.....

Someone pull my finger so I can get it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Arturo WAS off the hook, P-Fuzz.. big time. That was my highlight, outside of the Funk stuff and Prince/Beyonce. Although I do agree that George Clinton has some work to do...

also... what has happened to Rock? I mean, the Foo Fighters were aiiight, but man.. maybe Rock really is dead.

And, of course, I was sickened by the propaganda-fest at the end by the recording academy dude. It's insulting to my intelligence to be called a part of the music family... NO... I'm a customer, you numbnuts.. and I only pay for a high quality product.

Oh yeah.. did anybody else see Madonna laughing at Yoko Ono, then all of a sudden get serious and mouth, "oh, she's so sweet," once she saw that the camera was on her? I don't like Yoko, but man, I hate Madonna, too. What a fake. Someone remind her she's from Michigan, and not whatever semi-British country her accent would suggest (and yes, she was faking a British accent long before Guy Ritchie).

And Sting wore a dress. Dude? Even in a dress, he had it together more than the goober he shared the stage with. Sean Paul? Ummm.. no.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

How was Prince? He was the only reason I wanted to watch it, and i missed him.

Why do people hate Yoko Ono? Was she really to blame for breaking up the Beatles?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:32 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Prince was one of the few acts I saw (primarily because he was on first). I thought, "There's a dude who used to put out good music. I'll watch for a minute."

He was pretty good, and Beyonce looked and sounded great with him.

I wish his part could have been longer. I might have watched.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
How was Prince? He was the only reason I wanted to watch it, and i missed him.

Why do people hate Yoko Ono? Was she really to blame for breaking up the Beatles?
Yoko who?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I can sum up my interest in the Grammys in one word.....

Someone pull my finger so I can get it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I had no idea they were on tv until this morning's coverage on the radio.

Damn I'm out of the loop.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:11 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I will say, however that Andre 3000 is one entertaining performer. It's fun to see someone that doesn't have to take themselves so seriously all the time.
I must agree with Xerxes. "O Brother Where Art Thou?" was the better album. If not better, it was at least in the same class as "All That You Can't Leave Behind".
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:55 AM   #16
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Quote:

I will say, however that Andre 2000 is one entertaining performer. It's fun to see someone that doesn't have to take themselves so seriously all the time.

U2 - normally I'd be right there with you...but O' Brother was a phenomenal disc that literally changed the landscape of popular music. It was groundbreaking. While "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was incredible - it didn't create the tectonic shift that O Brother did. But, I understand you have a bias...

I was glad to see June Carter Cash get a little love (albeit posthumously) at the Grammys...

Oh Brother was a great album and was definately better than "All that You Can't Leave Behind", but how was it groundbreaking or how did it change the face of popular music? Bluegrass (not a new form of music) was only popular for about half a year afterward and country music radio still sucks horribly. It would have been nice if it had started a trend, but if it has I haven't noticed it. Do you know of groups that I am missing out on? Alison Krause "New Favorite" is nice, but it is the only one I have noticed since Oh Brother. The Dixie Chicks cd was also bluegrass, but who can listen to them?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:14 AM   #17
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Good points, FJ. But - believe it or not- we're still in the bluegrass boom. OBWAT? opened mainstream America's eyes to Alison Krauss, new Ricky Skaggs music, Nickel Creek, and others. These artists have all seen a dramatic increase in record sales after OBWAT? and the only reason it has slowed is b/c none of these "torch bearers of bluegrass" have had a new album out in a while. Skaggs did put out 2 the second half of last year although one was a "live" album featruing him and doc watson and earl scruggs.

Mainstream Country radio (as I have previously stated) is dictated my consulltants in NYC (no offense, Kiki)...and that is only part of the problem.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, I believe that there's probably a little more traditional country music being played now on the radio now than at any other point in the past 5 years or so...at least that seems to be the case.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 AM   #19
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

That's true Xerxes OBWAT did somewhat turn me on to Alison Krauss and I would have probably never heard of Nickel Creek otherwise. I haven't listened to the Ricky Skaggs CDs yet, I guess I'll have to try one of them out. Do you recommend the live or the studio cd?

Quote:
Mainstream Country radio (as I have previously stated) is dictated my consulltants in NYC (no offense, Kiki)...and that is only part of the problem.
I think it is Kiki's fault. Get a rope!
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
XERXES
Diamond Member

Skaggs started his own label about 4 or 5 years ago. Any of the albums (I think there are 3 or 4 including the new ones) on his new label are great if you dig bluegrass. His last live album is really extraordinary. There is a song on there called "simple life" that is one of my favorite tunes in the last year or two.

On a related note, Skaggs is one of the (if not the) nicest and classiest people in the music business I've ever spent much time around...