Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delonte West: "Signs point to me being back"

Mavericks guard Delonte West dishes on his desire to return to the Dallas, how he feels about Dirk Nowitzki, his relationship with LeBron James and how he ended up hanging out with Dez Bryant over the weekend.

Quote:
On if he expects to return to the Mavericks:

"Yeah, definitely. It's in the Lord's hands and he'll work it out that way but all signs point to me being back here. First and foremost I definitely understand how Rick Carlisle wants to play. What he feels is the right recipe for success ... and that fits to my game. Then I'm the ultimate team player man, you know I can do so much. That's why I really don't do one thing great, cause I do everything good."

On his offseason plans:

"Well my season just began, ya know. It's tough not to stay in the gym because first of all we went out not the way we wanted to, No. 1, so that's tough to swallow. No. 2, you can't go on vacation, those guys are still playing the playoffs. They're still getting better every day, every game, so every day I try to find myself in the gym once or twice a day and try to keep that same high level and keep my body ready. You stay ready you don't have to get ready."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. I love what he brings on and off the floor - so long as we can avoid that deadly Terry/West pairing that killed us defensively all year.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I don't know if West is intentionally being funny or not, but I find his "I'm not great at any one thing because I'm good at everything" to be quite hilarious. I would welcome this guy back.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

I would take him back, no question!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Awesome. I love what he brings on and off the floor - so long as we can avoid that deadly Terry/West pairing that killed us defensively all year.
I have a feeling that half of that equation won't be in a Mavs uniform next season...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Love it.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
As UD stated, you're getting one or the other back next year more than likely...both seems a little far-fetched.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

West is OK, he should come back. But he did not impress me much as a "core" player. His defense was average at best and his decision making reminded me of JJB 3-4yrs ago.

Bottom line,... his role should be much smaller next season.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
As UD stated, you're getting one or the other back next year more than likely...both seems a little far-fetched.
If both Terry and Delonte are on the Mavs roster next season, then it'll be because something went horribly wrong this summer...

Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
West is OK, he should come back. But he did not impress me much as a "core" player. His defense was average at best and his decision making reminded me of JJB 3-4yrs ago.

No one has said he was a core player. He's a player who is pretty valuable based on his versatility on offense and as an additional weapon as an option for a defender. He's likely a guy who pads stats on a crappy team, but is a guy that most teams will truly value who have championship aspirations.

Side-note, I think his performance vs OKC in the Playoffs is still skewed. He basically played in the series climbing uphill with the nasty food issue he had to deal with. He didn't look very spry or full of life leading up to Game 1.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Erod

Erod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these parts

Well, Howard and DWilliams sure as hell ain't on their way here, so West's chances are looking dandy.
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Saying his defense was average at best shows what you know about basketball.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Well, Howard and DWilliams sure as hell ain't on their way here, so West's chances are looking dandy.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
mavs777
Diamond Member

The perfect situation for Delonte is if both Kidd and Deron are on board to come back, he could then get all of his minutes at his natural position at SG, he dribbles a bit too much and at PG that hurts ball rotations at times, but his defense and ability at the 2 position is perfect. In a perfect world Deron signs here and Kidd resigns for a realistic amount as well as West maybe you draft terrence ross. Roster so far

PG: Deron/Kidd
SG: West/Roddy/Terrence Ross
SF: Marion/ FA/ Terrence Ross
PF: Dirk/ FA
C: FA/ Brandon Wright/Ian Mahinmi
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping we lock up Delonte on the cheap for 2 or 3 years. 2.5 million a year would be what I'd want. He's a winning rotation player. He's the kind of guy you see on Denver/Indiana/Philadelphia. He doesn't take anything off the board while providing good defense, good shooting, and decent passing. What do you guys think it will cost to retain him?

I think we can trust him with Rick coaching. His toughness was solidified for me when he had that gruesome finger injury and didn't flinch. If Wade had done that to his finger he would have needed a stretcher and a maybe a neck brace.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If both Terry and Delonte are on the Mavs roster next season, then it'll be because something went horribly wrong this summer...
I tend agree...but I'm also ready to admit that I have NO IDEA how this off season is going to go down.

Other than my tendency to be a pessimistic fan, I'm willing to wait to see if the Front Office can pull off something surprising.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Ask Westbrook and Harden how great he was. Ask Derek Fisher, too. lol.

West could not guard ANYONE during the playoffs (not quick and physical enough). And he played 6th most minutes on our team, which is a huge role in a playoff series. If you play such a big role as a defensive stopper, then you better do your (defensive) job on a very high level. And not on a level slightly better than Jet Terry.

Last edited by markus1234; 05-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ask Westbrook and Harden how great he was. Ask Derek Fisher, too. lol.

West could not guard ANYONE during the playoffs (not quick and physical enough). And he played 6th most minutes on our team, which is a huge role in a playoff series. If you play such a big role as a defensive stopper, then you better do your (defensive) job on a very high level. And not on a level slightly better than Jet Terry.
Can we judge his defense over the whole of his time here instead of 4 games when he was sick? You can't stop people from making pull up jumpers. Westbrook and Harden are all-world offensive players. Fisher was hitting shots because he made pact with someone evil to punish Mav and Spur fans.

He can guard 1s and 2s despite his height. He is a solid rotation player on a potential contending team.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, guys.

I think we should get redzwestisbest's opinion on whether Delonte is worth resigning or not.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
Underdog

I don't know where this Scott McGuire guy has been the past decade, but his recent flurry of posts have been spot-on...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't know where this Scott McGuire guy has been the past decade, but his recent flurry of posts have been spot-on...
I usually just read, but this is such a pivotal offseason. I'm plugging in to seeing what will happen and also to bounce ideas off others. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have to agree with his decision making. That went for Vince as well. It probably takes a while for a team to really pop the ball. Cubes has always been a big proponent of that. That said its another's reason why I was not on board with busting up the team.

Year 1. Ruined this year.
Year 2. They will not have played enough to really compete for the championship (IMO)
Year 3. This will have to be when they honestly target an solid run.
Year 4. Dirks contract is up and he's an old dude... Well see how he feels.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I wouldn't mind having Delonte back
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Delonte was ok...not great, not terrible.

There is definitely potential for greatness there, but something has always held him back. Could it be that he's a grade A wacko? I tend to think so, and that's not something that will be remedied anytime soon, unfortunately.

West on 1 or 2 year deal for close to the minimum - stop gap style - would be fine. A higher level of commitment than that would illicit a sizable head shake from me.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I highly, highly recommend listening to the interview that these quotes came from. Delonte has some really cool things to say about Dirk, and he's just a fantastic interview overall.

I freaking love Delonte West.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I highly, highly recommend listening to the interview that these quotes came from. Delonte has some really cool things to say about Dirk, and he's just a fantastic interview overall.

Wow, no joke...great listen. Thanks for the recommendation.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

If Delonte is back next year that probably means the Mavs missed out on Deron Williams. I can't see them both being on the team next year. Delonte will command $3M minimum next season - unless he wants to give the Mavs a discount - and that won't fit the Mavs salary cap with Dirk + Deron + Trix + Haywood. It could fit if Haywood is amnestied but any money freed up by amnesty would need to be used for a replacement center.
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:

Damn.. what a great listen. Totally didn't click the link, but what a great attitude and such a headstrong mentality.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_Jeff_| View Post
If Delonte is back next year that probably means the Mavs missed out on Jason Terry.
fyp
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #31
tc29

tc29 is on a distinguished road

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ext-season.ece

Any thoughts on Koponen? Feels like if we land DWill and successfully package off Odom, Roddy, Marion for another piece (Gasol?), he's a cheap option if Delonte commands $2.5-3 million next year.
tc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

His stats in the regular season were undeniably strong, and he's a team player. I remember Kirk Hinrich brought up around here many times as a player of interest, but Delonte had the better season. Same type of player.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc29 View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ext-season.ece

Any thoughts on Koponen? Feels like if we land DWill and successfully package off Odom, Roddy, Marion for another piece (Gasol?), he's a cheap option if Delonte commands $2.5-3 million next year.
I'd love to see what Petteri Koponen and Nick Calathes can do. Maybe we can work some Spur magic on good cheap young players.

Are we allowed to put them into Summer league or invite them to camp without signing them to contracts?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
I'd love to see what Petteri Koponen and Nick Calathes can do. Maybe we can work some Spur magic on good cheap young players.

Are we allowed to put them into Summer league or invite them to camp without signing them to contracts?
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the answer is Summer League, yes, Training Camp, no.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #35
mavs777
Diamond Member

Calathes is the significantly better player of the 2.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #36
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Calathes is the significantly better player of the 2.
I really have no clue about Petteri Koponen honestly. He's 24 and was good enough to get drafted in the 1st round as a 19y/o. He and Calathes look a little similar from youtube videos. Tall for PG, average athletes, good vision but not a traditional PG. can shoot decently.

What is the latest news on Calathes coming anyway?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
Scott McGuire

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the answer is Summer League, yes, Training Camp, no.
Thanks for answer. I wish it wasn't true for training camp.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #38
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
I really have no clue about Petteri Koponen honestly. He's 24 and was good enough to get drafted in the 1st round as a 19y/o. He and Calathes look a little similar from youtube videos. Tall for PG, average athletes, good vision but not a traditional PG. can shoot decently.

What is the latest news on Calathes coming anyway?
Koponen doesn't have the handles really to make it in the NBA, Calathes can do everything but shoot, he played a big role in the europe A league and greece A league for good teams, he's got good handles, and is a great passer, his game fits the NBA game much more than the structured europe style game. All that being said he wouldn't come over unless he got a minutes guarentee, and being the backup maynot even be good enough.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Koponen doesn't have the handles really to make it in the NBA, Calathes can do everything but shoot, he played a big role in the europe A league and greece A league for good teams, he's got good handles, and is a great passer, his game fits the NBA game much more than the structured europe style game. All that being said he wouldn't come over unless he got a minutes guarentee, and being the backup maynot even be good enough.
How much is he getting paid over there? Can't be more than an NBA backup. Money will talk and since he was a 2nd rounder we can structure a deal however we want.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
mavs777
Diamond Member

Not sure exactly how much it is but it is a 7 digit number, he is also comfortable in greece and would be due for a pay raise whenever it is his contract is up.