Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default If I were GM...

Unless I’m missing some people, this is who I’ve got so far as next year’s roster.

Devin - 1
JET – 1/2
Ager - 2
Stack – 2/3
JHO – 2/3
Rawle - 3
Dirk - 4
Croshere – 4
Powell - 4
Benga – 4/5
Damp - 5
Diop - 5
Pavel - 5

PG:
You’d be hard pressed to find a quicker duo of PG’s in the league than JET and Devin. They both can get to the basket at will. The thing you have to be worried about with these two is the ability to set up teammates. The two of them combined to dish out only 7 assists a game in 58 minutes per game. The fact that the mavs made it as far as they did with such little playmaking ability stemming from their PG’s is amazing. Unfortunately, I don’t really see much out there that’s available that we can pick up through free agency. Marcus Banks is a young guy who has gotten better with experience. His numbers indicate he’s more of a playmaker than JET or Devin. So, I would like to give him a look, but it looks like the Lakers might be willing to throw way too much money at him or he could just resign with the Wolves.

SG/SF:
I tend to lump these two positions together on this team for one reason. We don’t really have any small forwards. I look at the depth chart and tend to think that we’ve got a lot of 2’s. That’s not really a bad thing, as premier SF’s have somewhat diminished recently. Rawle, to me, puts off a SF vibe…but he’s no where close to contributing. I’d like to get a guy in here who’s versatile, but not really a 2/3. I’d like to find a 3 who can fill in at the 4 when needed. There’s one guy out there who I’ve always found intriguing. Jared Jeffries. He’s still young. I think he’s 25. He’s 6’11” and has great quickness for a guy his size. He’s by no means a world beater, but his best days are ahead of him. If I couldn’t get him, I’d go after Buckner. I love Griffin, but Buckner is a better version of him. So, if I couldn’t get Jeffries, I’d go after Buck. Plan C, and probably the most expensive plan, would be James Posey. Good defender, can knock down the open 3. After his playoff performance and with his experience, I just assumed he’d be a bit more costly than the other two guys.

PF:
There’s not much that can be done here. Dirk’s gonna get a ton of minutes. Croshere (ugh – too redundant of a player for my tastes), Powell, and in some cases DJ will all see time as Dirk takes a breather. That group is serviceable enough to not warrant going out and overpaying for someone like Reggie Evans. If you can get Evans on the cheap…go for it. If not, I’d rather have Jeffries and have him take some minutes at the 4 when the Mavs are playing uptempo.

C:
We’re set here. Damp, Diop, DJ, and the project are enough. About the only guy out there that I’d want is Lorenzen Wright. I don’t know what kind of money he’d costs us, though. And, I don’t like the idea of Diop and DJ’s minutes being limited. I say make no changes here and roll with what you’ve got.

So…If I’m Donnie Nelson (errr…Cuban) and I’ve only got 2 roster spots available, here’s my list:

1) Jared Jeffries – I think he’s got the tools to be a valuable role player on a championship team. I like his size. I like his versatility. Good defensively. He seems like a character guy. His FT’s need work, but he’s a decent shooter. I’d expect more rebounds out of a guy who is 6’11” – but hey, that hasn’t stopped us from going after the KVH’s of the world. I have no idea what kind of money it will take to sign Jeffries, though.

2) Marcus Banks – If we’re going to see less of JET as the PG and more of JET as the SG we’re going to need someone who can give Devin a breather who is less than 4 decades old. Banks has improved significantly since entering the league. He’s a good distributor. He’s an excellent defender. From what I’ve read, Minnesota wants to keep him and the Lakers have expressed interest. I’m not sure he’d want to come to the Mavs if he knows he’ll have to compete with Devin and JET for playing time. I could easily see him getting 20-25 minutes, though.

3) Greg Buckner – I suppose a portion of me wanting to sign Buck is sentimental. I’ve always loved the way he plays. How hard he plays. Back in the day, the Mavericks sort of outgrew his game and both parties moved on. Since then, though, Buck has really improved his outside shot. His D is still very good. I think he fits the mold of what seems to be important to the organization right now. He’s a good defender, can hit an open shot, and he’d probably come cheap.

4) James Posey – He’d probably be further up the list if I felt we had a shot at convincing him to come here…or if I thought we could afford him.

5) Reggie Evans – I’d prefer some PG/SF depth…but if we strike out there, Evans would be a nice commodity off the bench for the right price.

Preferably, I’d like the Mavs to waive Rawle and maybe sign and trade PPod for one of the aforementioned players. I don’t see either of those guys helping…ever. And I don’t like the idea of having non-contributors on our bench.

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 07-07-2006 at 10:10 AM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Rawle making the cut this year. I'm increasingly inclined to see P-Pod's roster spot go to someone better as well. And by "someone better," I mean anyone with a chance to someday play in the NBA, or at least someone with a cool name like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I know I'd be buying one of those jerseys!
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

If Pops made the team, I'd just want my jersey to say "Pops" on the back.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good thread....but I think given the minutes, Devin can become a good enough "playmaker"...

I think we also need to be reminded that AJ's system seems to limit one guy holding the ball and making one pass for a shot...it is a movement offense...the points come...but the assists might get spread around a bit. Don't get me wrong, if Devin shows the play making ability required...he'll get enough dimes..

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I've just not been impressed with Devin's passing ability. He can get around anyone, but when help defense comes does he find the open man? I think that's yet to be seen.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he is still in process thats for certain...I'm betting a practice filled offseason and a healthy season will do wonders for the kid's game

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I would like Posey to come here a lot, but he already chose to stay with the Heat with his player option for the final year of his contract.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I would like Posey to come here a lot, but he already chose to stay with the Heat with his player option for the final year of his contract.
Oh...didn't see that. Cross him off the list I guess.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Jared Jeffries is a good thought. i have liked his game since his soph year at IU. He played pretty well in a game against us last season and he might be a decent option to spell Howard at the 3. Also, he might help us as another athletic body to throw at Diaw and others like him.

shoots a decent % as well, it seems.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."

Last edited by The Crippler; 07-07-2006 at 03:57 PM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Speaking about Jefferies......

Jeffries, Wizards reach impasse on deal

By John N. Mitchell
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
July 7, 2006

Negotiations between the Washington Wizards and restricted free agent Jared Jeffries have reached an impasse and no new negotiations are scheduled, according to Jeffries' agent.
"I would characterize the talks as both sides making an effort, but as of today it looks as if those efforts have been futile," agent Andy Miller said yesterday.
'We have spoken frequently. Jared likes Washington and the role that he has carved out there. The problem is because he is selfless and sacrifices for everyone on the team and does the intangibles, it's unfortunate but the role seems to be one not as valued as much as he would like."
Jeffries' worth to the team is the apparent sticking point. The Wizards' position appears to be that while Jeffries played an important role -- one in which he started 77 games and averaged 6.4 points and 4.9 rebounds -- they have no intentions of overpaying him. As a restricted free agent the Wizards can match any offer Jeffries receives.
The Wizards, at least for now, don't appear to be interested in doing a sign-and-trade, despite that fact that Philadelphia and Phoenix are believed to have approached the Wizards, who already have tendered Jeffries the required one-year qualifying offer.
Miller's position is that Jeffries' value to the Wizards is higher than what it is for other teams because he knows the system well. The 6-foot-11 Jeffries played all five positions last season.
"He wants to do something that he will be happy with over the next five years," Miller said.
In another development, the Orlando Sentinel reported that the Wizards have become the front runner for Magic shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson, who started all 82 games for the Magic last season.
Stevenson opted out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent. Stevenson is seeking more than the $3 million he was scheduled to make this season.
The Sentinel reported that Stevenson is looking to earn $4.5 million this season in the first year of what the player would like to be a four- or five-year contract. Stevenson averaged 11.0 points and 2.9 rebounds a game last season.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Dammit...the list I saw said Jeffries was unrestricted. Oh well...I can't see Washington not matching any offer we threw out.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

so a 2 yr offer would be the best offer then for jeffries? sounds pretty good if i'm reading that correctly
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Jefferies would be a solid addition.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Jefferies would be a solid addition.
what position? He looks too small for center and doesnt' seem to have enough game to back up dirk.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
what position? He looks too small for center and doesnt' seem to have enough game to back up dirk.
Umm, he's a G/F, so he'd take the place of Griff.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
...said the guy who's evidentally never seen him play.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
...said the guy who's evidentally never seen him play.
Lol, evidentally.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Most true, I was just going by his NBA bio. 6-10 guard and listed as a forward.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

He's a 6'11" forward...small forward. He could play some 4 if need be.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
He's a 6'11" forward...small forward. He could play some 4 if need be.
So he's a josh howard backup? I'm honestly trying to figure out where he plays on this team?

I assume we are talking about a bench player, is he a "glue guy" who will be happy understanding that role?

I heard some folks talking about him taking griffs spot, but I think of griff as more of a sg not sf.

Last edited by dude1394; 07-08-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

any intrest in stevenson. He failed in utah but hes been a solid player with a deadly shot.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #22
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I've never thought Stevenson had much of a jumper. Granted, I have not watched him in the last couple of years at Orl. has it improved? I know Hollinger doesn't like him (or Jeffries, I just read) and said he shoots most of his jumpers 1 ft inside the 3 point line, which we all know is the worst shot in basketball.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
So he's a josh howard backup? I'm honestly trying to figure out where he plays on this team?

I assume we are talking about a bench player, is he a "glue guy" who will be happy understanding that role?

I heard some folks talking about him taking griffs spot, but I think of griff as more of a sg not sf.
He's a backup 3 who can also spell Dirk. He's young. He's big. He's quick. He'd be a versatile guy to bring off the bench...and he's QUICK enough to stay with guys like Amare. He might be overpowered, but he could at least keep him in front better than anyone else we have.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
He's a backup 3 who can also spell Dirk. He's young. He's big. He's quick. He'd be a versatile guy to bring off the bench...and he's QUICK enough to stay with guys like Amare. He might be overpowered, but he could at least keep him in front better than anyone else we have.
So why are they letting him go? It looked like he wanted the mle?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Jefferies would be great as a backup for Josh, hes young and just as athletic. I think if we could get him we should.

Harris
Terry
Howard
Dirk
Diop

Bench: Damp, Mbenga, Stack, Croshere, Griffin, Ager, Powell, Jefferies, and Rawle

Thats versatility right there. Did you leave DA off the list for any reason or is he gone?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 AM   #26
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Yeah, I agree, Jefferies would be a great backup for Josh.

Quote:
Thats versatility right there. Did you leave DA off the list for any reason or is he gone?
I think that if we get James, we move DA to the coaching staff. If we don't, we'll re-sign him pretty late in the offseason.