Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Dustin

Dustin is on a distinguished road
Default The Hang out the "Ruskie for Free Marquee" Thread

Is there any way to ship Pavel somewhere?

He is behind one other developing center.

He is *6th* in line behind damp, diop, DJ, Dirk, and Crochere.

He is not showing he will contribute from what I've read.

We still need a 3rd pg, we want an additional shooter, and we are in trouble if josh goes down with injury.

Why waste a spot on a 4th (in actual practice 6th) center on a championship level team? Surely someone else out there with no centers would be marginally interested in a prospect, I don't see why we are...
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to get a 2nd for him.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Because he is 7-5 330 with decent mobility and soft hands. That is easily worth more than what he would bring back.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He's still very young. And unless you are talking about using him as part of a package to bring back, what better use is for the last spot on the roster? Hopefully he'll be ready in a couple years.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Guys... we're the best team in the West right now. Developing 4th or 5th string centers shouldn't even be on the radar right now. To me, as long as we stay as good as we were last year, and guys like Devin and Josh continue to improve, we'll be fine. Why make a bunch more moves if we already like what we've got? I know I do..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Dustin

Dustin is on a distinguished road

unless my math fails me (which it certainly may) we've got 3 slots for - ppod, JP, Marshall, a 3rd pg, potentially a josh howard backup(jefferies, ariza type), potentially pops.

Out of those, the one that would have the most trade value, and who is least likely to ever crack the floor for us, is, IMHO, ppod. So even if you traded him, for say, a second round draft choice which maybe would not be "equal value" to some, you gain not only the "liquidity" of a position, but you also gain whoever would be able to fill in his slot.

Last edited by Dustin; 07-12-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Pavel is raw as shit and he's already has a better game than Benga. It wouldn't suprise me if he breaks into the Mavs rotation by the end of the year, and seriously contends for the backup spot in 2008.

And I dont give a damn how good a team is, it always needs to invest in youth.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I like rawle marshall but his type is a dime a dozen. Could he eventually become something? Sure. Could any of the other extremely large number of athletic 6'5-6'7 guys that dont have a contract be just as good? Sure. The fact of the matter is that a 7-5 guy with pretty good mobility and soft hands is more valuable than an athletic 6-5 to 6-7 guy(ive heard all of those listed for him, personally i think he is closer to 6-5. It doesnt matter about the flexibility anyway. If we are using it for development, then pavel is as good a project as there is. If you want someone to be able to play, they need to be on the 12 man roster and cutting pavel or trading him doesnt help that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
agree.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Crochere? Why don't you go ahead and just call him crochet?

Just how many players do you want on the rotation? Let him be where he is, we could cut rawle before we cut him. And quite frankly, Powell should go first. He's 21, isn't he? Jeez, he's two years younger than me, let the guy develop.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

I was in on the trade PPod rally...but now I have seen the light and agree that Marshall would be the better loss. Marshall has proven he just can't shoot. A poor man's Quisy if you will. Looks like a good kid and he may one day turn into something but with Buckner coming back aboard and Griff looking like a sure re-sign there is no room for another 2-3 hybrid guy. We traded Quis and added Ager and Buck...Marshall is gonna have to go.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Pavel is raw as shit and he's already has a better game than Benga. It wouldn't suprise me if he breaks into the Mavs rotation by the end of the year, and seriously contends for the backup spot in 2008.

While I agree with you about investing in youth, I couldn't disagree more with you about Pavel's game. I know he is young and I am definitely willing to give him at least another year to see if continues to develop, but his game is NOWHERE near Mbenga's. I saw him play in the NBDL championship game and he looks almost identical to where he was when I saw him play the Chinese two years ago. Still about two seconds behind actual play. I know that that is coordination and it will take a while to catch up with his size, but come on. Mbenga is LIGHT YEARS ahead of him at this stage. Mbenga at least got some PT in the playoffs, while P-Pod had a hard time getting minutes in the NBDL championship game.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he's anywhere near benga either. I will say that marshall isn't showing a ton in this summer league.

I'm also not sold that pavel will be anything more than a bust at this point, hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't make that draft pick again that's for sure.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Pavel is only 20 big men take a while to develop. I haven't seen him play. Pavel probably has the most offensive upside in the pivot for the mavs.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 AM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Pavel has been better than mbenga in the summer league at least
madape is offline   Reply With Quote