Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default Is Dallas Going K-Mart Shopping?

This was in the Dallas Morning News article this morning:

"Trade rumors will be circulating over the next 10 days before the deadline. While the Mavericks have been called by numerous teams, including Denver regarding Kenyon Martin, they are expected to be bystanders this trade season"

I proposed this trade in the General Mavs section but felt it warranted its own thread over here.

This trade works:

Dallas gives: VanHorn
Nuggets give: K-Mart and Voshon Lenard.

I read reports earlier in the season that Denver was looking to move Voshon. He has to be included in the deal to make it work salary wise.

Our lineup:

Diop/ Damp
Dirk/ Kenyon
Howard/ Stackhouse
Griffin/ Daniels/ Lenard
Terry/ Harris

Wow! Our second string would be better than most teams 1st string lineups. Denver gets a good playerin the meantime and potential cap relief. The Mavs get even more energy and athleticism coming off of the bench. Not to mention we would have someone that could match up with Amare in the future as well as Duncan, Brand etc...

I say we get this trade done now. Considering the potential cap relief Denver gets I think KVH would be enough, but I would throw in a future second rounder if I had to.

Edit: Not to mention Kenyon Martin is from Dallas. I think he would love playing here...even if it meant coming off of the bench as our sixth man. Plus..I hate the idea of Dirk playing Center but if he had to then I would much rather see a Dirk-K-Mart combo on the court than a Dirk-KVH

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 02-13-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

If Cuban would swallow the cap space it is a good deal for both parties. The Nuggets could resign Nene or go after a shooting guard in the offseason.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Not a good deal for the Nuggets. I understand they get cap space but they're going to want some sort of young gun in return. Maybe Marquis? I'd definately do it. Hell that trade sounds too good to be true. When you do these type of deals though you have to remember that Cuban isn't money friendly like he was in previous years. He'd make this deal 2 seasons ago. Now? I'm not so sure.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Hasn't Martin been having injury problems? I guess KVH has too.

I know KVH would love this trade because he wants to live in Denver.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Not a good deal for the Nuggets. I understand they get cap space but they're going to want some sort of young gun in return. Maybe Marquis? I'd definately do it. Hell that trade sounds too good to be true.
KVH coming off the books is going to mean extreme cap relief for whatever team he is on. I think trading him along with a future pick would get the job done. If Denver wanted anything more (like Marquis) they would have to throw someone else into the mix for salaries to match up.

This is the best I could come up with if they wanted Daniels and KVH in return:

Denver gets: Keith Van Horn, Marquis Daniels, future conditional draft pick.
Dallas gets: Kenyon Martin, Voshon Lenard, Eduardo Najera.

I'd still do this deal in a heartbeat. Najera is pure enegy off of the bench and could do a lot of our dirty work.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really see the need for eddie and i hate kenyon martin but i would do this deal. The first one for sure. The second one after some thought. I think depth at the wings are more important than depth for dirk because if dirk goes down the season is over. If one of the wings go down we would still have a shot. Would still do it but something interesting.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Depending on Martin's health, I'd pull the trigger on this (*edit: the first deal) in a second. We have to remember, however, what we're getting in Kenyon - "toughness", some defensive rebounding and so-so defense. He is a very different offensive animal from KVH (no 3-pt. shot, not great at taking it to the hole, etc.) and his numbers (despite playing a little under 8 min. more than KVH, aren't that much better). Martin Cannot create his own shot very well (which is why we saw his production fall so much after going to Denver) so how well will he fit on a team where he's going to be expected to be a role player? Will he accept a bench role well? I'd also be concerned about how healthy he is going into the future before droppin' so many Benjis. I personally think the guy is a bit overrated, he got his max deal riding on J-Kidd's coat tails (Kidd turned two above-average players in Jefferson and Martin into quasi-All-Stars) but if the price to play is KVH then I say play on.

*edit: not the second, I think Marquis & KVH is much more valuable than what Martin and Lenard might bring to the table.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-13-2006 at 05:21 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Mark Cuban wouldn't pay Steve Nash good money. After the Dampier fiasco, there's no way he swallows this turd of a contract. Kenyon isn't worth half the amount he's making.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Will he accept a bench role well?
I think that's the key question. He has a lot of pride but I think he may open himself to th idea if he got to play in Dallas

Old 02-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Mark Cuban wouldn't pay Steve Nash good money. After the Dampier fiasco, there's no way he swallows this turd of a contract. Kenyon isn't worth half the amount he's making.

For some strange reason I have a feeling the Knicks will end up trading for him.

edit: But in regards to your post. We need someone that can step up and fill in for Dirk if he ever goes down. Having Kenyon would do that for us. But I do agree that your contract questioning is legit.

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 02-13-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Guys we do not need to have someone who can fill in for dirk if he goes down. If dirk goes down the season is over. Thats it. Give it up go to the lotter hope to pull a SA and get a stud. Dont just try to limp to the playoffs to get spanked. If you mean for like a week or 2 then yeah thats fine but is that really a pressing need.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

I understand what you're saying, Five. Still, having Martin come off of the bench and alternating between PF and C with Dirk, Damp, and Diop would be huge.

I think fans would love his tougness and energy. We need all we can get to thrive in the wild west and dethrone that giant known as "Spurs"

Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Five-ofan
Guru

Oh i agree this is an upgrade i just get tired of the we need to plan for dirk going down thing. We might could win 1 game with dirk hurt so i guess if he got hurt at the end of the series it would be worth it but the whole planning for dirk to get hurt because we could still win thing is just not a big deal imo. If he goes down so do the mavs.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
For some strange reason I have a feeling the Knicks will end up trading for him.
I think I may have nailed this one. RealGm is talking about a possible trade that may go down between the Nuggets and Knicks for Kenyon. Link

Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
According to a league source, the Knicks have offered Penny Hardaway's expiring contract to Denver plus another player. The Knicks may be forced to part with rookie David Lee, but they insist on not giving up Frye.
The article states that the Nuggets are trying to land Steve Francis from Orlando but in order to do that they would have to get rid of K-Mart's contract. So essentially they need an expiring contract. Van Horn works in that scenario.

We have the tools to get this done! The only question is will Mark Cuban pull the trigger?

Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Purely from a talent stand point you would have to do it. From a chemistry perspective no thanks. Duncan is limping noticeabley. The Spurs aren't the same great team without him. If it weren't for Parker they would be a middle of the road team this season.

Last edited by jayC; 02-14-2006 at 05:23 PM.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Ok here it is. This is a 3-way trade that we could do with Orlando and Denver that makes everyone happy. What do you think?

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
-Keith Van Horn
-DJ Ilunga-Mbenga
-Josh Powell
Incoming
- Kenyon Martin
-Voshon Lenard

Change in team outlook: +9.2 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

Denver Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
-Kenyon Martin
-Earl Watson
-Eduardo Najera
-Voshon Lenard
-Nene Hilario

Incoming
-Keith Van Horn
-Josh Powell
-Steve Francis
-Bo Outlaw

Change in team outlook: -6.6 ppg, -4.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
-Steve Francis
-Bo Outlaw
Incoming
-DJ Ilunga-Mbenga
-Earl Watson
-Eduardo Najera
-Nene Hilario

Change in team outlook: -2.6 ppg, +1.3 rpg, and -1.9 apg.

Successful Scenario

Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok here it is. This is a 3-way trade that we could do with Orlando and Denver that makes everyone happy. What do you think?

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
-Keith Van Horn
-DJ Ilunga-Mbenga
-Josh Powell
Incoming
- Kenyon Martin
-Voshon Lenard
The Mavs would have to do that deal if available. There is just too much talent coming our way.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If you believe him, Cuban has made it patently clear that the Mavs will make no trades. For some odd reason...I believe him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #20
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
If you believe him, Cuban has made it patently clear that the Mavs will make no trades. For some odd reason...I believe him.
I wouldn't put much stock in Cuban's word in regards to trades. I don't see the Mavs pulling the trigger on any big trade, but I could see trading a guy like KVH if it made sense long term for the Mavs. Wether bringing in KMart is good long term or not, who knows. KMart would be a helluva player to come off the bench. I do know that for sure. I'd just worry about his ego.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I believe that the Mavs will either make a small trade or a major trade that is a steal. If we can get KMart for just KVH then we would have to do it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Fair enough. I think they stay put. Obviously if a lopsided deal that doesn't kill them financially for years comes along they would have to look at it though. But I think they stand pat.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #23
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

horrible contract, arthritic knees.

It's funny..when martin's free agency came up, every guy and his mother said denver to sign him for the max, and now he's one of the worst contracts in the league.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this guy will be okay with coming off the bench.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #25
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Ooh how great the risks, but then again, oh how glorious the reward~

Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
That's exactly what I was thinking. And coming off the bench forever pretty much, as he would never be starting as long as Dirk is a Maverick. Kenyon Martin is overrated. His "career" night was a 35 point outing against the Mavs. No, KVH is a perfect fit, thank you very much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #27
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If only he was making 10 millions dollars less...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #28
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
That's the key question. It seems as though he wouldn't be fond of that at all. But then again, if it meant getting to play for his hometown team who happens to be a championship contender, you may be surprised.

He has already landed his long-term lucrative contract so I don't think major PT minutes are a huge concern for him. He wouldn't be rotting on the bench either; Martin would be our designated sixth man: pure energy, excitement, passion, and swagger.

With that said, I wouldn't give up anything more than KVH and possibly DJ to get him.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #29
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's the key question. It seems as though he wouldn't be fond of that at all. But then again, if it meant getting to play for his hometown team who happens to be a championship contender, you may be surprised.

He has already landed his long-term lucrative contract so I don't think major PT minutes are a huge concern for him. He wouldn't be rotting on the bench either; Martin would be our designated sixth man: pure energy, excitement, passion, and swagger.

With that said, I wouldn't give up anything more than KVH and possibly DJ to get him.

I agree with you but we've already got that guy - Jerry Stackhouse. And Stack is much more of an offensive kick-in-the-rear than Martin (which is what you would want in a 6th man).
Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #30
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

if the team is looking to get something for KVH's expiring contract, then do the deal, K-mart will bring this team alot of grit, and defense toward the home stretch. K-mart's a dallas guy, he would be happy to be home, and the thought of a Nowitzki/k-mart front court in the future would be scary. The Pistons also pulled a trade for a expiring contract which possibly could have won them a championship. I think if the Mavs can pull this off, they would be front runners to win a title this year.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #31
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
The Pistons also pulled a trade for a expiring contract which possibly could have won them a championship.
I think you are overestimating the Pistons trade. They no longer have a backup point guard and Cato is nothing spectacular and probably won't see much playing time in the playoffs.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #32
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I think you are overestimating the Pistons trade. They no longer have a backup point guard and Cato is nothing spectacular and probably won't see much playing time in the playoffs.
i was meaning the trade that brought them Rasheed Wallace.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #33
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
if the team is looking to get something for KVH's expiring contract, then do the deal, K-mart will bring this team alot of grit, and defense toward the home stretch. K-mart's a dallas guy, he would be happy to be home, and the thought of a Nowitzki/k-mart front court in the future would be scary. The Pistons also pulled a trade for a expiring contract which possibly could have won them a championship. I think if the Mavs can pull this off, they would be front runners to win a title this year.
We're already the front-runner dawg.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #34
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

seems like a decent trade, and everybody loves kmart, and hes a great athlete. But im more concerned with his back, could this guy even play lots of minutes??
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

You do know the trade deadline is long gone right?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
You do know the trade deadline is long gone right?
*giggle*
Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #37
MFFL
Guru

New trades can be made in about 3 months.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #38
MFFL
Guru

Martin to Dallas is back in the rumor mill.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Say no to K-Mart.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #40
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

If the price is right then Martin would be a nice 3-4 back-up to Dirk and Howard.