Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #1
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Finley was a much better ball handler than THJ though even if he was mediocre at it. Problem with Fin is he had the same move every time against the defender. Ball up, out, down, then drive. Too predictable.

As far as this Dale Ellis thing goes...Seattle's Ellis, hell yes over Finley. Dallas's Ellis wasn't that player, so Fin for sure.
Ellis was on the verge of a major breakout with the Mavs, but they were simply too deep for him to take on a major role.
He was a legit starter, but no way was he moving Blackman or Aquirre to the bench.
They were in a position where they had to move him.

But damn...the Mavs made the worst trade in Mavs history (imo) when they traded Dale Ellis for Al Wood. That might be one of the most memorable unbalanced trades in NBA history for some of us old-timers.

They had a similar situation shortly after with Schrempf. They botched that one too by trading him and a 2nd rounder (Antonio Davis) for Herb Williams.

Mark Price for a 2nd rounder was another stupid move the Mavs made.

But to be honest, I'd take Schrempf over Fin in my dream 12.
My internal debate was between Schrempf and Ellis in my initial post.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-01-2022 at 09:06 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I have this gut feeling that the Heat are salivating at the prospect of adding Donovan Mitchell to a starting five with Butler, Bam, and Lowry. Especially, if they are going to keep pace with the Celtics. The problem is that Miami will need a third team to make it happen because the Jazz are not likely thrilled about the idea of taking on Duncan Robinson's four year contract. Mavs would be in a position to be the third team to make this work. The most straightforward trade being the Mavs send THJ and his three year contract (salary goes down every year) to Utah with Robinson coming to the Mavs. I am not sure that is a great deal for the Mavs but the following might make more sense:

Miami trades:
Robinson to the Mavs
Herro to the Jazz
Oladipo to the Jazz
Several 1st round draft picks to the Jazz

Utah trades:
Mitchell to the Heat
Jared Butler to the Heat (Rudy Gay also works)
Beverley to the Mavs

Mavs trade:
THJ to the Jazz
Powell to the Jazz

Outcome:
Miami receives Mitchell and Butler (or Gay)
Jazz receive Herro, Oladipo, THJ, Powell, draft picks
Mavs receive Robinson and Beverley

It is a lot for the Heat to give up for Mitchell but I am not sure they have much choice if they are going to compete with the Celtics. Boston absolutely won the offseason in my opinion given the additions of Brogdon and Gallo. Miami has to do something and Mitchell is the best option they have if they want to keep their core.

Note: Adding Butler or Gay is not necessary to make the trade work (Mitchell alone works), but the Jazz would need to trade one more player because I do not believe they have enough roster slots otherwise. They could waive Powell immediately as a third option.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I have this gut feeling that the Heat are salivating at the prospect of adding Donovan Mitchell to a starting five with Butler, Bam, and Lowry. Especially, if they are going to keep pace with the Celtics. The problem is that Miami will need a third team to make it happen because the Jazz are not likely thrilled about the idea of taking on Duncan Robinson's four year contract. Mavs would be in a position to be the third team to make this work. The most straightforward trade being the Mavs send THJ and his three year contract (salary goes down every year) to Utah with Robinson coming to the Mavs. I am not sure that is a great deal for the Mavs but the following might make more sense:

Miami trades:
Robinson to the Mavs
Herro to the Jazz
Oladipo to the Jazz
Several 1st round draft picks to the Jazz

Utah trades:
Mitchell to the Heat
Jared Butler to the Heat (Rudy Gay also works)
Beverley to the Mavs

Mavs trade:
THJ to the Jazz
Powell to the Jazz

Outcome:
Miami receives Mitchell and Butler (or Gay)
Jazz receive Herro, Oladipo, THJ, Powell, draft picks
Mavs receive Robinson and Beverley

It is a lot for the Heat to give up for Mitchell but I am not sure they have much choice if they are going to compete with the Celtics. Boston absolutely won the offseason in my opinion given the additions of Brogdon and Gallo. Miami has to do something and Mitchell is the best option they have if they want to keep their core.

Note: Adding Butler or Gay is not necessary to make the trade work (Mitchell alone works), but the Jazz would need to trade one more player because I do not believe they have enough roster slots otherwise. They could waive Powell immediately as a third option.
I?m not super interested in Robinson with Bertans on the roster. I saw somewhere earlier Mavs are shopping THJ. Robinson?s contract is rough though. Basically Bertans but longer I think.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
liqwidhalo

liqwidhalo has a spectacular aura aboutliqwidhalo has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Hell no to Duncan Robinson, rather keep Bertans.
liqwidhalo is offline   Reply With Quote