Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

I actually advocate keeping the team intact for now. However, I just want to throw out one trade idea.

Dallas trades: PG Nick Van Exel (11.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 26.9 minutes)
C Raef LaFrentz (9.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.6 minutes)
C Tariq Abdul-Wahad (9.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.6 minutes)
PG Avery Johnson (3.9 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 10.1 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Karl Malone (19.4 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 3.9 apg in 35.8 minutes)
PG John Stockton (10.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 7.6 apg in 27.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.3 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and +4.6 apg.

Utah trades: PF Karl Malone (19.4 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 3.9 apg in 35.8 minutes)
PG John Stockton (10.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 7.6 apg in 27.9 minutes)
Utah receives: PG Nick Van Exel (11.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 30 games)
C Raef LaFrentz (9.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26 games)
C Tariq Abdul-Wahad (9.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26 games)
PG Avery Johnson (3.9 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 28 games)
Change in team outlook: -5.3 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and -4.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I think it makes a lot of sense for Utah as they get a veteran point guard and a young center for two guys who are in the last year of their contracts.

On paper, I think the trade works for Dallas. I think John Stockton is the more ideal backup as he is very efficient in his production and needs only 15-20 minutes a night. I think Nelson would stay away from using the two point guard lineup if Stockton were here. Malone would be the best inside presence we've had since . . . Roy Tarpley? He's an intelligent veteran player who knows how to pass out of the post. He can provide the big body to guard the Duncans, Webbers, and Garnetts. But if the two don't work out, we'll have a lot of free cap space for the future to get a Jermaine O'Neal, etc. . .

Thoughts?

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

This is acutally a decent fantasy trade. But it just the kind of trade that can never happen. Utah can't trade Stockton AND Malone. Besides, Utah is salary conscious and TAW and Raef's long-term deal vs. the fact that this is the final year of both Malone and Stockton's contracts makes this doubly unlikely.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
Charlie Brown

just so ya'll know . . .

i'm not endorsing this trade . . . i actually don't think i'd pull the trigger on this one. i'm just wondering what you guys thought . . .

with that said, i am a big fan of both nve and raef, but i just don't think they're very good fits here . . . nve gets way too much playing time as the backup point guard and even if nelson were to reduce his minutes, i think nve would get very disgruntled and disrupt team chemistry. i like raef, but nelson's whole notion of bringing in raef was to pull shaq away from the basket. but i think we need to start worrying more about the Kings than the Lakers at this point. we need to find a more traditional inside presence rather than a soft 3-point shooting big man who gets schooled by vlade everytime he plays him.

Old 01-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
Charlie Brown

yeah, i agree with you, dooby. it is very unlikely. just brainstorming here about the types of players we could potentially bring in if the mavs weaknesses continue to be exposed.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

For the record, there are circumstances where I'd bring Malone to Dallas. There are probably circumstances where he'd want to come here. The problem is I have a hard time thinking of circumstances where Utah would want to trade him to Dallas.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote