Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steven Jackson's Agent Rips Nellie a new one.

Pretty disparaging talk coming from an agent. I'm not sure I've ever seen this type of rant before. Old Nellie sure does leave a wake.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4636820
Quote:
"No one trusts Don Nelson," Stevens said. "When Nelson was in Milwaukee, Wayne Embry trusted him and brought him in, and he betrayed Embry. In Dallas, Mark Cuban took damn good care of him and his son [Donnie Nelson Jr.], and he betrayed Cuban. In Golden State, Chris Mullin hired him and trusted him and Nelson backstabbed him by reaching out to president Robert Rowell and blaming Mullin for everything that was going wrong with the Warriors."
Stevens blamed Nelson for the breakup of the promising Warriors team that upset top-seeded Dallas in the first round of the 2007 playoffs. The breakup of that squad is one of the main reasons Jackson wants to go elsewhere, according to his agent.
"Chris Mullin wanted to re-sign Baron Davis, but Nelson nipped that in the bud," Stevens said. "Then he helped put together the trade that got rid of Jason Richardson. Then the Warriors lost Matt Barnes. Nelson loses the trust of all his players."
Warriors general manager Larry Riley could not be reached for comment.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 11-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to hear Nellie's response.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I bet Cuban is quietly giggling
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

It's funny because I don't think the NBA can fine agents for talking, so after Jackson got fined for asking for a trade he got his agent to be his mouthpiece.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4 View Post
It's funny because I don't think the NBA can fine agents for talking, so after Jackson got fined for asking for a trade he got his agent to be his mouthpiece.

Yep, smart move.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Would be a great lawyer, he buddies up with the media, with wise cracks, distracting remarks, getting it off topic. He'll put a positive spin on it, that's one man's opinion, blah, blah, blah. It's becoming a joke. Nellie has practically begged for Warriors brass to fire him. Unfortunately he's dealing with the cheap....well 2nd cheapest owner in the league. No matter how far the boat is sinking, he's not letting Nellie go with 2 years left with out signed concessions by Nellie. How much are beers at AA? It's 11 bucks at Oracle. As long as season tickets move, the owner could careless about the product. One of the Bay Area writers predicted that soon after Nellie got an extension, after 1 playoff run and a 9th seed in 2008, Nellie will finish the seaosn in Hawaii. I guess he was proven wrong, or someone had beat Nellie to the punch and did not want to give Cohan's lawyers ammunition. After both winning seasons, there was question if Nellie would be back at all. After last year's debacle, there was no questionmark as to his return, Cohan would not eat the contract. Lets see how much of this Nellie can take. What is he 24 wins from being the all time winningest coach? I'm hoping he doesn't get it at all. he ran a great team into the ground, one Mullin had built up. Now he's letting Randoph rot on the bench again, for who knows what, Randolph had the best summer of any GSW, not only at summer league but also Olympic Camp.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

crazy story.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
This isn't a response to the remarks by Jackson' agent, but it's kind of typical of Nelson's self-pity, entitlement and denial of responsibility.

Quote:
[Nelson] was asked how often he questions why he left his retirement retreat in Maui. Nelson laughed.

“Almost after every loss,” he said. “I think a guy coaching at my age deserves to coach a veteran team. Like Phil Jackson — a team like that would be nice. But I’ve been dealt a rebuilding deal, and I’m willing to do it and try to enjoy it as much as I can, and Curry certainly helps me enjoy that.”

Quote:
November 11, 2009
Stephen Curry Gets Rude Welcome on Warriors
By KAREN CROUSE

OAKLAND, Calif. — After the worst game of his nascent N.B.A. career, Stephen Curry stood in the Warriors’ locker room and applied an ice pack to the knee of his extended left leg. He glanced warily over his left shoulder at his Golden State teammate Stephen Jackson, who was convivially holding court with reporters at his corner locker at Oracle Arena.

At Davidson, Curry thrived in transition, but his end-to-end from North Carolina to Northern California is testing his inner compass. It has not been easy to trade a collegial atmosphere for a turf war in which those on his side do not necessarily have his back.

The N.B.A. exhibition season was only hours old when Warriors guard Monta Ellis announced that he did not want to play alongside Curry in what is an undeniably quick but also undersized backcourt. This was after Jackson, a 10th-year forward, expressed a desire to be traded because the organization keeps getting younger, not better.

The Warriors, who advanced to the second round of the playoffs three seasons ago, have devolved into dysfunction not seen in the N.B.A. since the Knicks had their loathe triangle of Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown and Stephon Marbury.

“I wasn’t there in New York, so it’s hard to speak on it,” Jackson said when asked his impression of those Knicks teams. “But from the outside, I could see that it was pretty discombobulated.” He added, “We’re almost in the same position.”

It’s a tough spot for Curry, a sliver of sunshine trying to penetrate a dense fog. His selection by the Warriors at No. 7 in June’s draft was met with lusty boos by Madison Square Garden fans who knew that the Knicks, picking eighth, had been prepared to pounce on him.

“We didn’t think he’d be there for us,” Warriors Coach Don Nelson said. “He ended up being this gift.”

Curry says he does not rue the way the picks fell in the draft. Well, maybe a wee bit.

“Playing in Madison Square Garden every night, living in New York, that would have been fun,” Curry said after a recent practice, looking ahead to Friday’s game at the Garden against the Knicks. “But I think it’s going to be like a normal game for me on Friday. I’m going to talk to the coaches, and there’s going to be that exchange — ‘I wish I had you.’ ‘Yeah, but I’m happy where I am right now’ — and then we’ll just get back to the basketball.”

He has the upbeat attitude of someone who trusts that life is inherently good. He is understated in his appearance and his demeanor, favoring a clean-cut look set off by jeans and sneakers, and sirs and ma’ams over slurs and damns.

Ellis and Jackson have sharper edges. Neither played in college before entering the N.B.A., their path less paved than that of Curry, who followed in the footsteps of his father, Dell, a former N.B.A. player, and gained a national following during Davidson’s run to a regional final in the 2008 N.C.A.A. tournament.

Jackson, who played in the Continental Basketball Association and in Venezuela before making his N.B.A. debut with the Nets, looked at the arc of Curry’s life and said: “I’m kind of jealous because I was raised in a household with just my mom, and he had both his parents. I had to work, didn’t go to college, came up the hard way.”

After last Friday’s 28-point loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, Jackson stuffed a thick wad of bills into his jeans pocket, reached for a watch with more diamonds than a deck of cards and added: “When I came into training camp, I didn’t know what to expect, but this kid works hard. He brings it every night. He’s a good kid.”

The days can stretch interminably without the routine of college to fill the hours away from the basketball court.

“You get bored a little bit, especially if you’re in an unfamiliar setting,” Curry said, adding, “For me, not knowing where to go and what things to do kind of caught me off guard at first.”

With nowhere else to go, he lingered in the weight room after practices and did extra lifting.

“Just trying to find something to keep myself occupied so I don’t go crazy sitting in my apartment all day,” he said.

At 6 feet 3 inches and 185 pounds, Curry needs to bulk up, but not that way. The coaching staff placed him on a strict lifting schedule after his arms became so fatigued that it adversely affected his shot.

Navigating his new life has become easier in some respects. One of Curry’s friends from home, Chris Strachan, moved in with him “so I don’t have to go home to an empty apartment,” he said. He bought a GPS unit for his Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle and has used it to find his bearings on the Bay Area’s web of freeways.

The basketball court has been a tougher place to negotiate. In the loss to the Clippers, Curry picked up two quick fouls while trying to guard Eric Gordon, who finished with 25 points.

“I’m a rookie,” Curry said afterward, “so stuff I used to do in college to defend bigger guys, I can’t do.”

In their season opener against Houston, the Warriors (2-4) were trailing by 3 points in the final seconds when Curry grabbed the rebound of a teammate’s missed 3. Ellis was open on the wing, and clamoring for the ball, but Curry was not sure he had time to make the pass.

After a moment’s hesitation, Curry made a layup to make the Warriors’ margin of defeat a point, and walked off the court with Ellis glaring at him. During a recent show on KNBR-AM, the Warriors’ flagship radio station, callers said that Ellis, when he brings the ball upcourt, seldom passes to Curry.

“The N.B.A., there’s a lot of chaos sometimes,” Curry said diplomatically. “A lot of things going on throughout the year. I came in with an open mind and ready to work hard, and Coach Nelson just keeps encouraging me to be myself and be a professional and handle my business.”

Nelson, in his fourth season as the Warriors’ coach, is 22 victories from supplanting Lenny Wilkens as the coach with the most wins in N.B.A. history. But during a timeout against the Clippers, his players seemed less interested in tapping into his deep well of knowledge than in taking the measure of the break dancers performing on the court.

The 69-year-old Nelson was cursed out by Jackson during a preseason game last month and was criticized by Jackson’s agent in a recent ESPN interview. Nelson, who at one point had four players younger than 25 on the floor against the Clippers, was asked how often he questions why he left his retirement retreat in Maui. Nelson laughed.

“Almost after every loss,” he said. “I think a guy coaching at my age deserves to coach a veteran team. Like Phil Jackson — a team like that would be nice. But I’ve been dealt a rebuilding deal, and I’m willing to do it and try to enjoy it as much as I can, and Curry certainly helps me enjoy that.”
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson, Ellis Have Confrontation At Practice

Nov 12, 2009 5:34 PM EST
Warriors coach Don Nelson and guard Monta Ellis had a war of words during Thursday's practice in New York.

Ellis kicked off the argument when he asked Nelson: "Coach, why do I get blamed for everything?"

"What have I ever blamed you for?" Nelson asked in response.

"For everything. Everything. People not knowing their plays. I didn't do this. I didn't do that," Ellis said.

Nelson then waved off Ellis and left the practice facility.

Ellis refused to talk to media after the spat and his teammates tried to calm him down.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Nelson yelled at Ellis in front of the entire team after he was one of a few players that weren't quite ready to begin practice on time.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
This isn't a response to the remarks by Jackson' agent, but it's kind of typical of Nelson's self-pity, entitlement and denial of responsibility.
Quote:
[Nelson] was asked how often he questions why he left his retirement retreat in Maui. Nelson laughed.

What a laugh nellie. You run off everyone and trade everyone..then whine bitch and moan about who you have. You did it here, you do it everywhere. Look in the mirror dude.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote