Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 10-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brush with a childhood hero

ok, maybe only EvilMav will like this thread... But I had to let people know about this.

I was in buffalo on business yesterday. Waiting for my return flight, who do i see? None other than my favorite basketball player growing up - who i actually patterned my game after, no lie. I somehow mustered up the courage to talk to him, shake his hand, and had a short, decent conversation with him.

Who was this? none other than:

it was actually pretty nerve-wracking.

I may never wash my hand again.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-19-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you have found a better picture of your hero Pelohaus than the one where he gave up the game winner to Christian freakin' Laettner!?!?!?!

Just kidding. Cool. Former Mavericks great!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, not such a great picture of Feldhaus.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

BBL - you are the biggest Laettner fan I know. Even bigger than me and that's saying a lot. Cool story. What did you guys talk about?
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha... That's awesome, and I'm envious BBL. It's amazing who you sometimes run into or see when you are a frequent flyer ...
Old 10-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I ran into Chris Bosh a few months ago at PF Changs Northpark. I didn't have the nerve to interrupt his conversation. Looked like he was with his family. I thought it was pretty funny, actually. Everyone in his party was dressed really nice except for Bosh. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt!

Anyway, cool for you BBL.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

cool beans

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean the Mavericks are in the race for L8ner?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

So now that I can tell that people are actually somewhat interested, I can give the full story.

I passed him as I was walking to get lunch at the airport. I decided if he was still at his gate when i left the restaurant, I'd walk up and introduce myself.

So he was, and I walked up to him. Told him I recognized him, told him i was a huge fan of his growing up - of course mentioned the '92 game (which i'm sure he's never heard before, right?). I actually sat down 2 seats away from him and asked him what he was up to these days (I said I last saw that he was trying to bid to buy the grizzlies). He said he was really heavily involved in business ventures and real estate, and actually said that the grizzlies thing was still a possibility (he was actually wearing a grizzlies shirt). Not to overstay my welcome, I got up, said it was nice to meet him, shook his hand, and went on my way.

i probably blurted all that stuff out cause I was pretty nervous.

he was actually really nice and seemed gracious. Wonder if he was flattered that someone recognized him.

Then i also told him that I had figures of him on my desk at work:

(couldn't find a pic of my t-wolves one)

just kidding, I didn't tell him that.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i once ran into Tone Loc in at Midway airport (chicago)....

top that shit.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Laettner is far and away my favorite college basketball player of all time. Cool story.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Very cool! One of my faves as well. I had a huge poster of him on my bedroom door in high school, and when my dad sent letters to me in college he addressed them to "Mrs. Laettner". And that last second shot in '92 is easily one of my top 5 chills-worthy sports moments. I'm quite envious of your brush with greatness BBL!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Cool story, Big Boy. How old are those pictures ? 20 years or so ?

I never met a VIP somewhere, just see them running around here in the City, but my dad once sat next to Gottmar on a flight to Switzerland. *lol*

Last edited by GermanDunk; 11-04-2010 at 06:06 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Well the shot was in 1992, so almost 20 years.

This thread, however, is just 3 years old. I guess Murph was bored.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

lol, now that you mention it... anyway.
Even more a reason to bump.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 11-04-2010 at 06:38 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Well the shot was in 1992, so almost 20 years.

This thread, however, is just 3 years old. I guess Murph was bored.
Actually, I was looking for a specific restaurant thread. Well, when I did the search, this popped up. I had never read the thread, so I checked it out. And yeah, obviously I'm a huge Laettner fan, so I had to comment.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hey, i liked reliving the moment. thanks for the bump.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

shows how perceptive I am! I didn't even realize it was so old! very cool story and I missed it the first time so I'm glad for the bump!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp View Post
shows how perceptive I am! I didn't even realize it was so old! very cool story and I missed it the first time so I'm glad for the bump!
Where have you been???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #20
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
i once ran into Tone Loc in at Midway airport (chicago)....

top that shit.

Now this was bump worthy
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Where have you been???
trying to keep up with a two year old! I've been lurking, but my kid keeps me super-duper busy! he gets really mad at me when I get on the computer so I have to only do so when he's sleeping. thankfully, he's napping at the moment! I miss this place!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp View Post
trying to keep up with a two year old! I've been lurking, but my kid keeps me super-duper busy! he gets really mad at me when I get on the computer so I have to only do so when he's sleeping. thankfully, he's napping at the moment! I miss this place!
Well come back whenever you can! This places is better with MVP around.