Mavs win by 1-9 1 50.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10+ 0 0%
We all winners - shorter game without Harden free throws 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #121
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I thought that was obvious, but I've grown tired of complaining. The Mavs are stuck in "Cowboy" mode and have been for a while. The biggest difference is Garrett was far easier to bag on than RC. RC has a ring and that gets him a big ass pass, even if it was a decade ago.

As much as I've grown tired of RC, dislike his style of play, and am constantly questioning his decisions, since he's not going elsewhere anytime soon, the laser focus needs to be put on whomever is making the final decisions on how this team is constructed, and I'm not sure how much of that is RC. My guess is not much.

If the coach is not adjusting well enough to the talent, then the talent brought in needs to be a better fit for the coach. I think the disconnect is between coach and roster composition. They always appear to me to be at odds with each other year after year.

The elephant in the room is Cuban.
Good comparison

I mentioned them both in the same sentence to because the Cowboys and Mavs will both tease you with some success only to let you down later because you bought into the hype.

Stagnant organizations that if even they make the playoffs they usually get bounced out 1st round
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #122
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
That’s the nba.

“It’s no secret that the proliferation of the three-point shot—which generally creates much longer rebound opportunities—has altered the game more than anything. At .696, the statistical correlation between three-point percentage and winning percentage in the NBA (with 0 showing no correlation, and 1 indicating direct correlation) has never been higher than it is now, according to data from Stats Perform.”

The top 5 teams in 3 point percentage are the Clippers, Bucks, Nets, Jazz, and Nuggets.
Fact. It's not the Mavs. It's the league. The teams who don't take many are bad and the teams that make them at a low rate tend to be bottom of the barrel (Cavs, Rockets, Heat, Wiz, Wolves, Thunder, Magic)

The three is the new NBA and it means that any team that gets hot can demolish any team in the league. It also means that a team that has a cold night will see much larger negative swings.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-08-2021 at 05:30 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #123
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

If the NBA is completely live by the three, die by the three then we should never have traded away Seth Curry.

Statistics be damned, I disagree with the notion that you need to hit threes to win. You need to take good shots. Luka and JRich were a combined 1 of 15 from three. Luka gets a pass because he felt the need to take difficult shots when his teammates were struggling to get going. The others need to attack the basket instead of settling for garbage shots that result in long rebounds and often a fast break opportunity for the other team.

You don’t have to settle for what the defense is giving you. When is the last time Richardson took it strong to the basket and tried to finish at the rim instead of fading off his pivot? Why does KP camp on the perimeter instead of hunting for mismatches/ switches in the paint? Why doesn’t KP start free throw line extended more often the way Dirk used to?

I don’t know the answers to these questions. It could be that Carlisle is pigeonholing our guys based on how he reads the floor. Moving forward we need an elite roll guy to pair with Luka. I thought KP would thrive in a pick and pop/ pick and roll game with Luka but for whatever reason that has failed.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #124
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
If the NBA is completely live by the three, die by the three then we should never have traded away Seth Curry.

Statistics be damned, I disagree with the notion that you need to hit threes to win. You need to take good shots. Luka and JRich were a combined 1 of 15 from three. Luka gets a pass because he felt the need to take difficult shots when his teammates were struggling to get going. The others need to attack the basket instead of settling for garbage shots that result in long rebounds and often a fast break opportunity for the other team.

You don’t have to settle for what the defense is giving you. When is the last time Richardson took it strong to the basket and tried to finish at the rim instead of fading off his pivot? Why does KP camp on the perimeter instead of hunting for mismatches/ switches in the paint? Why doesn’t KP start free throw line extended more often the way Dirk used to?

I don’t know the answers to these questions. It could be that Carlisle is pigeonholing our guys based on how he reads the floor. Moving forward we need an elite roll guy to pair with Luka. I thought KP would thrive in a pick and pop/ pick and roll game with Luka but for whatever reason that has failed.
The 3 ball is very important. That cannot be denied, but a team has to shoot it well enough, consistently enough, with a large enough number of 3's made for it to be a game changer. If not, you get what the Mavericks have had for years - a streaky team that can have 2 great shooting games in a series and blow out a top team in one or maybe 2 games in a series but in the end will go home losers. A team has to be able to win FOUR games. This is way too often overlooked as obvious as it should be to everyone.

I remember the Mavs blowing the Lakers out on their court in LA one playoff game when Dirk and Nash were together. Jackson pulled his guys late in the game in concession and let the Mavs roll on to the finish. He correctly surmised that though the Mavs were going to win that one game big, they weren't going to shoot like that for an entire series, and the Mavericks, predictably, lost the series. It used to be widely recognized that jump shooting teams would lose in the playoffs. That has only recently changed due to the success of Golden State, but it took one of the greatest shooters of all time to make it work, and Curry didn't have a bunch of average NBA guys around him either.

While the 3 ball is very important, taking the right type of 3's and making them is even more important imo. Chucking 3's in volume does not suddenly turn losers into winners, and the Mavs are not good enough to overcome poor shot selection while jacking up 3's. I think this is a big problem for Mavs, and let's be honest, the Mavs' BBIQ is pretty low imo.

The Mavs need to be looking at other ways to mitigate their streaky 3-pt shooting. Hustle, solid defense, bigs in a zone to improve rebounding, KP in the post as a facilitator, smarter shot selection, et. al. are different ways of making up for the lack of 3's dropping. These adjustments are all in-game coaching changes. RC needs to be able to read the game and make adjustments. It may not be pretty, and it may not be the same thing consistently that gets it done, but he's got to do a better job of going off script other than going smaller if the Mavs want to figure out how to get to the 4 wins it takes to win a playoff series. Yes, it's not easy, and the Mavs basketball IQ isn't going to help. Still, RC is the COACH. He should be looking for advantages wherever he can find them instead of worrying so much about always matching up with what the other team puts on the floor.

Quit playing other teams in their comfort zone. Throw some stuff out there that throws your opponent off at times. What's the worst thing that can happen? The Mavs lose? News flash: They are going to lose anyway if they keep doing the same ineffective things over and over.

Last edited by turin; 04-10-2021 at 12:05 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #125
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

This game was the very definition of a trap game

First night of a back to back. It looked liked an easy win and the next game was against the Bucks who are a really good team

I would have liked to see a win but I understand WHY it happend
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harden still sucks, houston we have problems, lavert for oladipo, lol rockets rebuild