Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ASU leads USC...Leinart knocked out of the game

21-3 at the half.....wow.

It's not being broadcast here in the south but FoxSports just said Leinart got knocked out of the game.

Anyone remember the ASU upset of #1 Nebraska a few years ago? wow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:ASU leads USC...Leinart knocked out of the game

I think Leinart was only out for one play.

21-10
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: ASU leads USC...Leinart knocked out of the game

Good for USC if that is true but that isn't what FoxSports said. Again...no broadcast in the south today for that game.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

So does anyone know if he is actually back? I'd like to see him in there and then have ASU play them very strongly. You hate to see a guy like Leinart go down. All the reports that I have seen portray him as a very intelligent kid. Plus, I will always pull for a guy who foregoes the NFL to be loyal to his school. If nothing else, I like Leinart for that.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Fox just said Leinart is back but hurting. Reggie Bush just scored on a nice run to make it 17-21.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure Leinart stayed out of loyalty to the school. It may have had more to do with that southern California trim.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly have no sympathy for Leinart if he gets hurt. He knew the risk involved in staying another year.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I'm not sure Leinart stayed out of loyalty to the school. It may have had more to do with that southern California trim.

Come to think of it, San Fran does have slightly different demographics....

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

LOL @ mary....

mary - I think that Leinart took out a huge insurance policy to cover him from injury. Smart move. The thing I like about the guy is that he was offered a 4-yr scholarship (that could have gone to someone else) and he chose to honor the deal and turn down instant riches from the NFL. To me that is kind of special and speaks volumes about his character. Young students and athletes like that are impressive to me. On the flip side, I have a hard time blaming anyone who does it the other way. I cannot think of his name right now, but Texas A&M (I think) had a kid a couple of years ago who declared early for the draft to help pay for a siblings medical bills. I thought that was pretty impressive too.

It is kinf of funny to relate to your San Fran demographic line above that had Leinart declared for the draft he would have probably ended up the #1 pick of the 49ers.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I think that USC could give some of the NFL teams a run for their money. That is one impressive football team. I sure hope we get to seea UT-USC champioship game. Imho those are the top two teams out there right now. UT looked very good today as well.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He has a million dollar insurance policy. A lot of money but not close to the Nfl money he will get if he doesn't get hurt. One thing about him coming back. If he wins the heisman again and they win the title, he is automatically in the discussion for best college player EVER. Not saying he is or anything but a qb with 3 national titles, 2 heismans and 1 loss as a starter in 3 years is enough to get in the discussion. That is an interesting position for a player to be in. Plus despite not getting NFL money i guarantee you that he is having alot of fun being a superstar on that team in that town.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Good points all around. The million bucks is good money but certainly not what he will get even in his first NFL season. I like the argument for Leinart being the best ever if he wins another championship. If he wins another Heisman, I give it to him straight up. There are a lot of great players though that one could fairly argue for.

The point about him living large right now is spot on. He is a bigger star than the A-listers in Hollywood right now.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
It is kind of funny to relate to your San Fran demographic line above that had Leinart declared for the draft he would have probably ended up the #1 pick of the 49ers.
Well, that's where I was going with that Doc. I would imagine any hot-blooded straight American male would prefer L.A. to the Gay Capital of the World [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ***NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT***

I heard a couple of weeks ago on the radio the Leinart was only enrolled part time (and I mean VERY part-time) at USC. If that's true, then it rubs me the wrong way if he is taking up someone else's opportunity who is an actual real student. I can't explain why, it just does. I don't have a link on this, so I could totally be wrong.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

By the way, here is the....ahem "trim" that chumdawg so callously referred to above. I'm sure Mr. Lienart is a monogamous and faithful boyriend, just like all young attractive famous athletes are.

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

[quote]
Originally posted by: Drbio
The thing I like about the guy is that he was offered a 4-yr scholarship (that could have gone to someone else) and he chose to honor the deal and turn down instant riches from the NFL. To me that is kind of special and speaks volumes about his character. Young students and athletes like that are impressive to me. [quote]

He is taking one class this year.

Ballroom Dancing.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #16
mary
Troll Hunter

[quote]
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
[quote]
The thing I like about the guy is that he was offered a 4-yr scholarship (that could have gone to someone else) and he chose to honor the deal and turn down instant riches from the NFL. To me that is kind of special and speaks volumes about his character. Young students and athletes like that are impressive to me.
Quote:

He is taking one class this year.

Ballroom Dancing.

Saltwater, I had heard the exact same thing...and even though it is perfectly withing NCAA rules and it certainly gives USC the best chance at another championship...it just seems wrong.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Chaffy- is that legit or was that sarcasm? I wonder what he needs to complete his degree. That would be very informative. I wouldn't expect him to take a full load if he only needed to take 3-6 hours to graduate. Regardless, I just really like that he stayed.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
mary
Troll Hunter

On an unrelated note - any fan of a football team with QB woes should be rooting for the 49er's to go 1-15 this year. I would love for my Texans to make a trade for Alex Smith.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he only needed one elective to get his degree....and it's ballroom dancing.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

I couldn't tell if Chaffy was being funny or if that was accurate. Must be nice to take only one class and still play. I was under the impression that NCAA rules required players to take a certain amount of hours though. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The way I believe the rule works is that you must take at least 12 hrs in a semester to be eligible to play unless you need less than 12 to graduate in which case however many you need is how many you have to take.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

I think that is fair if accurate. I have no problem with Leinart playing and only taking one class since he has met all of the academic requirements to receive his degree.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

More power to him for taking more than the minimum in earlier years. If you get your degree as a college football superstar you are more serious about school than a lot of the other cfb superstars. It would make no sense to me at least to make him take up space in classes that he doesnt need. Also I know people say hey football players take easy schedules, but if you have ever played football in either high school or college you know it takes more time than any class does excluding some graduate research classes or your dissertation. Especially if you are a star qb who has to study film all the time. Also when you get done with practice you are usually really tired and dont exactly feel like doing homework. With all that said I think that graduating with a degree and having been a superstar player is an accomplishment that is worthy of praise.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:02 AM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that USC could give some of the NFL teams a run for their money. That is one impressive football team. I sure hope we get to seea UT-USC champioship game. Imho those are the top two teams out there right now. UT looked very good today as well.
Doc, it is only my opinion, and please recognize that my opinion is more likely than not wrong, but still, my opinion is you must have been drinking some Highland Park water if you think USC could give even the worst NFL team a run for their money. They would--or rather, I should again point out that it is my opinion they would--get down three touchdowns in a hurry (probably by the middle of the second quarter, if not considerably earlier) and then it would be up to the NFL team what the final margin would be.

I am not a professional football analyst. I have never even been paid to analyze football, nor do I expect I would have had any great success at it if I did. So please remember that this is just one man's (probably wrong) opinion.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

LOL chum.....dork.

Something you may or may not be aware of...and I know it was a long time ago, but the NCAA used to pit a game between the champ or other top team and an NFL team. This was waaaaaaay back. The NCAA team a lot times won that game. I know it is different today but I do think that USC could play with a couple of NFL teams and play well. Their lines are huge, the defense is solid, they have Reggie Bush and Leinart.....I think that is enough to play close if not beat a crappy NFL team.