Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas' Top Five Athletes

City's Best: Dallas' Top Five Athletes
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...five-athletes/

FanHouse is posting the top five current athletes for America's top 20 sporting cities (see: City's Best). With a nod to Dan Steinberg, our three criteria are: 1) What would a Dallas sports fan say is his or her favorite local athlete? 2) Would the player's name be familiar to someone who doesn't follow sports or only follows local sports casually? 3) Would the player be recognized walking down the street?

5. Sammy Sosa -- I'd much rather give this to Rangers shortstop Michael Young, but the aging Sosa still draws a crowd. The steroids scandal and the way things ended in Chicago and Baltimore have definitely made him less of an icon. But without him in the lineup, the Rangers are the Pirates - with less pitching talent.

4. Mike Modano -- He was the city's most eligible bachelor during the pre-Romo period. When the Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999, this city lost its mind for hockey. Now, it's returned to being somewhat of a novelty act. Modano, who just turned 37, is the one player on the team who non-sports fans would probably recognize. Stop by The Loon some night and say hello to him.

3. T.O. -- I had trouble with this decision because he's easily the most recognizable athlete in town. I just don't see him being a fan favorite. He's more of an oddity at this point. That said, you see a ton of his jerseys at Texas Stadium. I think fans are sort of fascinated with his celebrity. I do have to hand it to him that he's not an entourage guy. When he goes out, he usually has one security guard that monitors things from afar.

2. Tony Romo -- I can't recall a local athlete having a more dramatic rise to fame. I think everyone in the city was wearing his jersey the day after he led the Cowboys to a road win over Carolina in his first start. He now refers to Bill Parcells as a "good kid" and judges Miss Universe. Those who thought he might not recover from The Bobble have never spent any time around him. He's simply not familiar with self-doubt.

1. Dirk Nowitzki -- He may be the most humble MVP in league history, but I think he holds off Romo for at least a couple more months. When the Mavericks made it to the NBA Finals last year, every 20-something female in Dallas was wearing a pink No. 41 jersey. He's shy, but if you walk up to his table at Sushi on McKinney in Uptown, he'll be exceedingly gracious.

Honorable Mentions: Michael Young, Mark Teixeira, Jason Terry, Josh Howard
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably put T.O. ahead of Romo, but other than that it's a good list as far as looking at the criteria they presented. It's too bad though; what has little tony ever accomplished to be mentioned with those other guys?

But remember Dallas, only one of those brought you a championship.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

TO seems like he should be #1. I'd rank Romo ahead of Dirk as well.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i was really into hockey during 97-2000.

since then..not so much.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

If Dirk isn't every person in Dallas' choice for top athlete, the city is full of dumbasses.

Romo? Give me a f'in break. Maybe when he's the starter for an entire season and has continued success...but now? You're smoking something.