Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #281
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Garrett had a hard enough time getting Felix Jones touches.... The only thing that Garrett really seems to have down is the draw out of shotgun.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #282
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

When someone such as Zach Thomas voids the rest of his contract and says that he doesn't want to come back to Dallas but wants to play elsewhere, that tells you all you need to know about the way this organization is run...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #283
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
When someone such as Zach Thomas voids the rest of his contract and says that he doesn't want to come back to Dallas but wants to play elsewhere, that tells you all you need to know about the way this organization is run...
that was my thinking exactly -- he's not wanting out because he's better suited to a 4-3 than a 3-4....
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #284
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What the heck is this Zach Thomas talk all about?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #285
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Zach is simply pulling a Greg Ellis...

If he stays, then great...if not he can be replaced...he just a cog...sure a good cog, but a cog nevertheless.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #286
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Taken from ESPN...

Phillips vows new plan; James confronts fan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys aren't changing coaches. Instead, coach Wade Phillips plans to change.

After seeing Super Bowl hopes fizzle into a 9-7 season that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs, team owner Jerry Jones has vowed to bring back Phillips, and Phillips vowed Monday to do things differently.

"We know things must improve. The only way is to change things," Phillips said. "To get to the standard we want, I don't see any other way."

This was Phillips' second season in Dallas and his second straight devastating finish.

The Cowboys went 13-3 last year and owned the No. 1 seed in the NFC, only to lose their first playoff game; the fact it was at home a week after Tony Romo, some teammates and their significant others went to a resort in Mexico only made it worse. This time, Dallas overcame injuries and infighting to have a chance to make the playoffs by winning the finale, only to come out emotionless and error-prone in a 44-6 loss to Philadelphia.

"You can't say, 'Well, OK, everything's going to be all right,' because it's not going to be all right if you do the same thing and I'm talking about myself," Phillips said. "I have to look at myself from how I deal with things, from how we have training camp, how we have practices, whatever."

Phillips said he and Jones already "talked man to man" about what went wrong and what needs to be done about it. All he's decided so far is that he needs a plan; he's only started putting it together. However, he expects both coordinators and all the star players to return.

The big change Phillips seems to be talking about is getting tough, a la previous Dallas coaches Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson. That would be quite a change for a 61-year-old man whose reputation as a players' coach has been forged over 32 seasons in the NFL.

"If it means being more demanding, more whatever, I have to get it done," Phillips said.

Asked how he can do that while being true to himself, Phillips said: "My personality is probably not going to change as much as what you ask them to do. ... My personality of looking like I'm laid back all the time, that's not going to change."

Phillips said he's been through similar, successful "changes" by the boss when he was an assistant at Buffalo under Marv Levy and at San Diego under Marty Schottenheimer. He plans to get advice from those coaches and from another former boss, Dan Reeves. While all are respected, none has ever won a Super Bowl.

One change Phillips already made was opting not to address the team Monday. Players met with position coaches, cleaned out their lockers, tied up other loose ends and were free to go.

Linebacker Bradie James, a defensive team captain, didn't like that change.

"I don't want to just end this thing and be in the dark," James said.

So James had to hear from reporters that Phillips is plotting a new approach. Asked if that will work, James smiled wide and said, "If you know a person to be a certain way and then all of a sudden you have an extreme change, I don't know how well that's going to be taken. I don't know what he means by that. Like I said, he didn't address us, so I don't know. ... Whatever needs to be done, I'm all for it."

Here's something that hasn't changed: soap opera side stories.

The only reason James spoke to reporters was to clear up an incident he just had with a fan who was standing outside the driveway into team headquarters wearing a sandwich board that read "Our team has no heart" on the front, and "Wade is an embarrassment to the star" on the back.

James tore the sign off the man, breaking his sunglasses. James then went to his locker, got a pair of expensive shades he'd been given and returned with an apology, a handshake and a gift. Police came and left without taking any action.

"He was like, 'Why you guys didn't have that fire last night!' You should've showed that much heart last night!' So the next thing you know I'm just ripping that sign off of him," James said. "So I went and gift-wrapped some Oakleys, and he got something out of the deal. I told him, 'I share your frustrations. But where we differ is I wouldn't go to anybody's job, especially not up here with 300-pound guys, trying to tell them what they didn't do right."

James turned out to be the most high-profile player to step up in front of cameras Monday. The only others were linebacker Zach Thomas, receiver Roy E. Williams and rookie running back Tashard Choice, all whom were in their first season in Dallas and thus have less perspective about what went wrong.

James' take: "There were a lot of personalities put on this team and we didn't jell. We didn't find a way to jell. This past game, you could see it. When you know you've got something on the line and you're playing to go into the playoffs, you know what you have to do, and you go out there and stink it up like that? That just speaks for itself."

Thomas finished his 13th NFL season and said he'll be healthy enough to return for No. 14, although not necessarily in Dallas.

"I'm going to weigh my options," he said. "I'm healthy and I feel like I still got a lot of fuel left in this tank."

He heads into the offseason shaking his head that this collection of talent won only nine games, while the 1-15 Miami team he left went 11-5. Cowboys fans look at the Dolphins' turnaround and grumble about it being orchestrated by former Dallas folks, from Parcells to coach Tony Sparano, who was among the people passed over when Jones hired Phillips and made Jason Garrett the offensive coordinator in 2007.

"We didn't really get to our full potential," Thomas said. "We were inconsistent all year. I don't understand it, but that's something for them to fix. I mean, they've got a great organization here, a lot of great players. Something's missing. I'm hoping they find out because Jerry Jones deserves it, Wade deserves it."

Williams caught only 19 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown over 10 games after being acquired from Detroit for three draft picks, including Dallas' first-rounder (20th overall). He and Romo never got in sync, including an interception on a ball thrown his way Sunday.

"I would love to take the blame for that one, but I can't," Williams said. "Once we get a training camp under our system, we'll be good."
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #287
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Zach is simply pulling a Greg Ellis...

If he stays, then great...if not he can be replaced...he just a cog...sure a good cog, but a cog nevertheless.
Umm, yeah..ok.
Of course he's just a cog. However, when good teammates like Thomas don't want to be a part of the team because half the team and coaching staff acts like they are bi-polar...it's not a good thing.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #288
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

So how about the news that Detroit might take our offensive coordinator problem off our hands? Good news in my book.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #289
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Please take Garrett away.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #290
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Please take Wade away.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #291
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine Garrett would leave for Detroit, unfortunately.

Newman apparently he said there was a lack of control in the locker room...uh, no duh.
He said whoever the anonymous source(s) were from the TO debacle a few weeks ago is a "Coward."
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1115871.html
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #292
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I can't imagine Garrett would leave for Detroit, unfortunately.

Newman apparently he said there was a lack of control in the locker room...uh, no duh.
He said whoever the anonymous source(s) were from the TO debacle a few weeks ago is a "Coward."
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1115871.html

They intimate that the source could be Witten...and from my side, I don't view him as a coward.

However, whomever the "Source" was is sure fired Chicket Sh*t!!!

Now it's time to filter through and get rid of the baggage, start building the "TEAM" unity over the offseason and then come out next year with an us against the world mentality...take no prisoners...

The Cowboys need to come out with a Goal of not only winning, but dominating winning games by an average double digit margin!!!

They need to come out with some attitude, perhaps even a bit of hate towards other teams...quit being nice guys!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #293
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

can we make an offseason thread...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #294
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

No one is stopping you.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #295
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
What the heck is this Zach Thomas talk all about?
Right after the game ended, Thomas was asked whether he'd re-up with the Cowboy's next year. He was quite unreserved in saying, 'no'. His reasoning was largely that he just fits better in a 4-3 scheme than a 3-4 scheme, but I tend to think it had a little more than getting ass-kicked in a play-in game than the particular scheme being run by the team.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #296
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
No one is stopping you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Right after the game ended, Thomas was asked whether he'd re-up with the Cowboy's next year. He was quite unreserved in saying, 'no'. His reasoning was largely that he just fits better in a 4-3 scheme than a 3-4 scheme, but I tend to think it had a little more than getting ass-kicked in a play-in game than the particular scheme being run by the team.
I think he put a lot of faith in the fact that this team/organization had it's act together and he bought into the Super Bowl hype. Now that it's over, he's trying to figure out if he's a fit here or not. 4-3, 3-4...he's a better fit for the 4-3.

This can be discussed in the Offseason thread.