Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-12-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Butterball

Butterball is on a distinguished road
Default Texas/Arkansas

I dont know bout y'all but I am excited as all get up to see this game tomorrow!

Things to look for as I see it:

1) Can we get it done on the ground? Is Benson gonna show up or is our backup QB gonna be our top rusher...again!?
2) Can we stop the run effectively?...This Cobbs kid looked tight and solid against Tulsa last week...we need to prove we can stop the run...(start building confidence for that lil game on Oct. 14th...but lets not get ahead of ourselves)
3) Will Mock stamp out the burgeoning QB debate that seems to be a driving force in the soul of every Texas football season (save last yr)...
4) Will Roy Williams continue his streak of 100+ yd games...and will he block a punt!!!????(How sweet would it be to see all 6-4, 200lbs+ of that hoss block 2 Arkansas punts...perhaps even gettin 6pts in return!!!!)
5) Will Chance Mock be able to find our other receivers over Arkansas's fantastic secondary...but heck...all he has to do is put up in the vicinity of Williams...the others will require more accuracy!
6) Can we come out firing on all cannons???...will we come out with that fire that is too often missing from our usual starts???... Can Mack Brown fire us up enough to understand how important it is we exorcise that Cotton Bowl loss....or are we gonna come out blase for another mediocre 1st quarter....hopefully the sight of Houston Nutt walkin outta the cotton bowl doin an upside down Hook'm will help fire up our boys!!!!!

I cant wait.....Hook'em

would anything be worse than Parcells pulling an Al Roker, getting that stomach-stapling surgery, and looking like a skinny, mutated, shrunken version of himself? I don't think I could handle that emotionally. Some people should just be forced to remain overweight if it fits their persona. I would even make this a law. I feel very strongly about this
Butterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: Butterball
I dont know bout y'all but I am excited as all get up to see this game tomorrow!

Things to look for as I see it:

1) Can we get it done on the ground? Is Benson gonna show up or is our backup QB gonna be our top rusher...again!?
Trust me, the mighty, mighty legs of Cedric Benson will be on full display tomorrow.
Quote:
2) Can we stop the run effectively?...This Cobbs kid looked tight and solid against Tulsa last week...we need to prove we can stop the run...(start building confidence for that lil game on Oct. 14th...but lets not get ahead of ourselves)
You must look at it this way, if we had Tulsa's run defense we would not be in the top 10
Quote:
3) Will Mock stamp out the burgeoning QB debate that seems to be a driving force in the soul of every Texas football season (save last yr)...
My eyes will be glued to the television to hopefully get that question answered, as will the rest of us Orange Bloods....
Quote:
4) Will Roy Williams continue his streak of 100+ yd games...and will he block a punt!!!????(How sweet would it be to see all 6-4, 200lbs+ of that hoss block 2 Arkansas punts...perhaps even gettin 6pts in return!!!!)
Roy Williams THRIVES in big games that QB's not named Simms is starting.
Quote:
5) Will Chance Mock be able to find our other receivers over Arkansas's fantastic secondary...but heck...all he has to do is put up in the vicinity of Williams...the others will require more accuracy!
See answer to #4
Quote:
6) Can we come out firing on all cannons???...will we come out with that fire that is too often missing from our usual starts???... Can Mack Brown fire us up enough to understand how important it is we exorcise that Cotton Bowl loss....or are we gonna come out blase for another mediocre 1st quarter....hopefully the sight of Houston Nutt walkin outta the cotton bowl doin an upside down Hook'm will help fire up our boys!!!!!

I cant wait.....Hook'em
Hook em' is right.... The bassackwards Arkansas boys will have to run back to their mother's and inbred girlfriends to find peace and quiet after they get ripped a new one by their former Conference rivals.... Their fans are frothing at the mouth to upset the mighty Horns of Long.... But it ain't happening.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Texas/Arkansas

That was very eloquent, u2. We're gonna crush them. HOOK EM!!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Texas/Arkansas

Be nice to Arkansas. They'll be in the Big 12 next year when Baylor moves to the Southland conference.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Be nice to Arkansas. They'll be in the Big 12 next year when Baylor moves to the Southland conference.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I welcome that with open arms..... I don't like having to play Baylor every year.... it brings our Sagarin rating down, and our Strength of Schedule down... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (No offense to my friend Doc...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Old 09-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
I welcome that with open arms..... I don't like having to play Baylor every year.... it brings our Sagarin rating down, and our Strength of Schedule down... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (No offense to my friend Doc...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
For the record, Texas <u>has</u> to play Bayor; Texas <u>CHOOSES</u> to play Rice.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
For the record, Texas <u>has</u> to play Bayor; Texas <u>CHOOSES</u> to play Rice.
Yeah, but I don't know a poster on this board that goes to Rice that I can rib..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas/Arkansas

Go Horns!

I've loved this rivalry forever. I hope that "tu" can whoop the crap out of Arkansas.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Go Horns!

I've loved this rivalry forever. I hope that "tu" can whoop the crap out of Arkansas.
We will, we will.... And I secretly hope Baylor beats the Mustangs... but don't tell Dooby!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:17 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Texas/Arkansas

Wooo Pig Sooie!

I hope we beat the shit out of TU, but it ain't gonna happen. Of course, that is exactly what I said before the game the last time the Hogs played the Horns. That game wasn't close, 27-6 Arkansas in the 2000 Cotton Bowl. I hope my pessimism is somehow good luck.

The Horns struggle against good running teams. Arkansas has an awesome ground game. They thrive behind Shaun Andrews, the all-american tackle. Of course, Texas has a great defense...so something has to give.

The horns have a great crew of receivers, and with Benson unable to run against that TOUGH NMSU defense, I doubt he'll run on Arkansas. So, it will be essential for Mock/Young to be on the money with their passes. Unfortunately, Arkansas' strength lies in its secondary. Once again...something has to give.

I can't wait for this game. I've been so pumped about it since August.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Hook em' is right.... The bassackwards Arkansas boys will have to run back to their mother's and inbred girlfriends to find peace and quiet after they get ripped a new one by their former Conference rivals.... Their fans are frothing at the mouth to upset the mighty Horns of Long.... But it ain't happening.
Ahh...the sure sign of a proven winner...degenerate trash talk. I will forgive you for now, since you obviously didn't know ocelot_ark used to attend the University of Arkansas.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Of course Ark I had no idea.... twas' just a bit of pre-game trash talk. No offense should be taken.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Default Texas/Arkansas

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's cool, U2...just trying to play the role of injured prey! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 12:03 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Boy that vaunted Texas run defense is playing exceptional today.. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

We (Texas) can't run the ball or stop the run. I'm concerned.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It just got uglier. Cedric is either not what he was, or he never was what we thought.

I am getting ready to give Selvin Young a chance....
Old 09-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Selwin hasn't looked that impressive either.

Nice job of running the 2 minute offense by Mock. He's got to do a better job of distributing the ball. Roy is not our only good receiver.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:45 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Thank God for Roy Williams....

Thank God he stayed....

He may not be our only receiver, but he seems to be the only one Mock will throw to.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

That's the problem. Spread the ball and keep the defense guessing. Maybe that will open up our anemic running game.

Roy is an amazing athlete though. I saw him windmill dunk in high school.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #20
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Texas/Arkansas

Ark is running up and down the field,
Old 09-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #21

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough
Default Texas/Arkansas

touchdown texas!
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Now if we can keep those damn Hogs out of the end zone....

Touchback.... good.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

So much for that idea.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Our defense is playing inspired right now..... now if we can block the FG.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #25
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Texas/Arkansas

What happened to Texas's running game it is horrid today. Where is vincent young when you need him. This game bites.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #26
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Yeah... it does bite.

Congratulations to ocelot_ark..... You guys out ran us by more than 200 yards (so much for our run defense). We couldn't run on you at all. Unbelievable.

We have 3 weeks to figure out who the heck can run.

I never thought it would happen, but Arkansas beat us pretty badly. If it weren't for Johnson and Mock (whom is solidly our number 1 QB now after todays performance, IMO) we would have been blown out.

Save for the last 1:48 seconds, this game is over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

texas is soft..is love the longhorns but their issues start with the head coach and go to the offensive co-ordinator.
the team has no sense of urgency until they are down 2 td's late in games. it starts up at the top. brown can recruit as good or better than anyone, but he couldn't coach a good pop warner team
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

cedric benson and celvin young are soft as well...

and what in the hell was the coaching staff thinking running a freaking option down near the goal line. idiotic. texas marched down the field on the arm of Mock that drive simply to have brown piss it away
Old 09-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #29
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
cedric benson and celvin young are soft as well...
It all starts with the O-line.

Anyway... Mock was terrible, I was screaming for V. Young to be put in the game. He would have really helped the rushing offense, and could have given them a spark.

Whoever calls the Horns plays really needs to be replaced. The only times they looked good was when they were throwing the ball deep, but they would always go away from it.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:22 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Default Texas/Arkansas

mock wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. what does the guy have to do? He wasn't great but he was definitely solid

yes, the o-line was bad, but when arkansas is sitting back and challenging you to throw the ball, you'd love for the play calling to be a little more aggressive earlier in the game.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Crushing loss. The only solace is that's it's early. If we beat K-State and O.U. we still have an outside chance at the title game. No team has looked unbeatable. Probably a moot point, because the way our D looked, I can't see us not loosing again.

Quite simply we were blown off the ball. I knew we were in trouble when Shawn Andrews was playing agianst our undersized defensive end Pickryl. If Young and Benson saw the holes Cobb was running through, we would have had more then 50 yards.

Play of the Game- I believe it was 3rd and 2 Ark. was around or 40 with about 6 minutes to go. I knew they were going to roll Jones out and I'll be damned if they didn't. Our freshman corner lost contain, and that was all she wrote. Jones runs to the one and the game is effectively over.

I have to agree with you Murph, we're soft on both lines. Our O-line can pass block, but they don't blow people off the ball. They look small. It is a young bunch, so hopefully the'll improve.

Mock wan't bad, but he was far from spectacular. As far as the run pass ratio, we threw the ball 40 times. Too many times it seemed he settled for short pass instead of going downfield.

Young would have been a nice change of pace, but when we fell behind, I new Mack would be too scared to put him in.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:07 PM   #32
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road
Default Texas/Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000

Young would have been a nice change of pace, but when we fell behind, I new Mack would be too scared to put him in.
Exactly! Mack is too afraid of having another Simms/ Applewhite controversy. However there is one huge difference, Major actually won something before Simms came. Mock has done nothing. He should start Young to get the most talented QB on the field and avoid a future controversy, if thats what he was trying to avoid today, if Mock starts to look better.

As far as Mock individually, I really think he played bad. In the fourth quarter I don't know how many times in a row he threw behind the recievers with the game on the line. He took off and ran when there was no possible way he could get a first down. His passes were batted down all day, and his pitch was also batted away. And it just looked like he was taking too much time to get rid of the ball. And the biggest thing to me was that he wasn't getting the team pumped up and enthused. I thought he was supposed to be a high intensity player who could rally the troops, and I didn't see that at all today. Or for much of last week.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:09 PM   #33
Butterball

Butterball is on a distinguished road
Default Texas/Arkansas

wow...Is it just me..or is Texas one of the most difficult teams to be a fan of...

First off...Chance Mock did an alright job. He looks comfortable in the pocket and he didn't try to force anything. Screw blamin the o-line all the way. The burden must lie on our damn running backs!

What the f$@K was that option call. Mack Brown may be one of the most dissapointing game-day coaches.

Carl Reese did not have an answer for any run game. If we could have kept it in the air and actually gotten some stops....oh well...

I dont even wanna hear anybody talkin about outside chances for the National title!

Come on...its time we look ourselves in the mirror...on paper...maybe we are National contenders at the beginning of every year...but something is missing...

All I care about is October 11th...thats all that matters now...thats all our season should be about....I dont care if we lose every other damn game....

but when all is said and done...I still bleed orange...and OU still sucks

Hook'em

would anything be worse than Parcells pulling an Al Roker, getting that stomach-stapling surgery, and looking like a skinny, mutated, shrunken version of himself? I don't think I could handle that emotionally. Some people should just be forced to remain overweight if it fits their persona. I would even make this a law. I feel very strongly about this
Butterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:04 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I should have known we were vulnerable to running QB's after NMSU's QB ran for 72 yards 2 weeks ago.

El Roberson and Jamal Lord have to be licking thier chops.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:56 PM   #35
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas/Arkansas

HA! I hate UT and I love it when they lose.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #36
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Well...what can I say? Texas refused to give Arkansas the respect they deserved and it cost them the game.

Excuse me while I bask in the glory...

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Pigggggggggggggggggggggggggg!
Sooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #37
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

You know, I thought Mock had a decent game once he found other receivers. I think our O-Line problem is what caused us to buckle (well that and the fact we cant stop the run... kind of reminds me of Mackovichs Defenses when they would monogram "WELCOME" on the front of the D-Line's jerseys.). This is not good. I wonder.... I was thinking about an hour ago... I always thought the reason we couldn't win the big games was because of Simms.... could it be the coach?

Do we indeed have a Tobacco Road con man as the head coach? I hope not, but today was the first time I paused on that thought. He certainly is a great recruiter, and I am probably reading too much into it.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:58 PM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Default Texas/Arkansas

No, It's a fair question to ask. I'm not ready so say it yet, but it's a fair question.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #39
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Texas/Arkansas

Brown is staring at his career in Austin now.

Prediction: Losses to both OU and A&M this year will end his career at UT.

Prediction two: Three such losses over the next two years will end his career at UT within two years.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #40
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

And the domino that started the collapse was the Razorbacks...priceless.