Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #1
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default Rasheed a Mav?

I know there is another thread on this at the moment... but I have some stunning new info that needs to be explored.

George Karl is announcing the Blazers Sonics game and just cryptically said he sees Rasheed in a Mavs uniform in the near future! We know Karl is close to Nellie. What does this mean?

Tolbert and the other guy asked him if he had some inside info and Karl kind of backtracked a bit and said that he felt that if the Blazers struggled he might end up a Maverick... but It really sounded like Karl knew more than he was saying. He sounded like he knew a secret and was confident it was going to happen in the near future. Maybe I am reading too much into it but it sounded like it could happen in the next couple days or something!
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2003, 12:16 AM   #2

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace a Mav?

yeah i just heard him say that too, i dont know if it really means anything though

he said something along the lines of, "seeing Rasheed shoot that three makes me think of him in a Mavs uniform"
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #3
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Rasheed a Mav?

I heard that too, I thought it was Tom Tolbert who said that, But if it was Karl. It kinda makes sense... all the rumors had Walker to Blazers for Sheed, and/or Jamison to Blazers for Sheed. Could be the Mavs went a weird way to facilitate a trade to the Blazers, Or it could be Karl just making a weird comment and everyone starting to look too much into it
Old 11-08-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Ok... see I was doing something else when I heard him say that... but didn't he sound like he knew something was going on? I mean it sounded like more than just "he would fit in with the Mavs nicely".

Maybe Karl just screwed up and made it sound like that but didn't intend to. Like he Just expressed himself in a weird way. lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-08-2003, 12:18 AM   #5
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Lord I don't want him here.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 AM   #6

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

LOL, the buzzer is going off as well, and it wont stop

just a a loud constant noise, this is great
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

That is the problem though... to get a big man you have to take a guy like Rasheed if you have the chance.

With our triumverate of leaders I think we could handle him better than any other team.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:34 AM   #8
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Rasheed Wallace a Mav?

Wallaces #s last year
mpg fg% ft% 3pt% Reb Apg spg bpg ppg
36.3 47.1 73.5 35.8 7.4 2.1 1.0 1.0 18.1
his assist numbers where a little down from years past, but Wallace is an intense 6'11" post player who plays defense, can pass from the post, shoots at a high % & is in his late 20's. He could do a couple of things for the Mavs before he ever suited up.
1.) officialy shed the Mavs "soft" image
2.) a combo of Dirk & Sheed playing the 4 & 5 is kinda scary. I say trade Walker for Sheed is possible & start
5. Sheed
4. Dirk
3. Jamison
2. Fin
1. Nash
have Delk, Best, Howard, Fortson, Najera & Bradley come off of the bench.
Notice thier is not a single player on our bench that should start.
IMO, this clears a log jam for us & the Blazers
They could start
5. Dale Davis
4. Zach Randolph
3. Walker
2. Derrick Anderson
1. Damon
This would free up even more minutes for Randolph & give Portland a distributer in Walker that could play just as well in that Portland system as he has so far for the Mavs.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:37 AM   #9
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default RE:George Karl says Rasheed Wallace a Mav?

Has everyone forgotten that we cant trade Walker for a while?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:40 AM   #10
The Bandit

The Bandit is on a distinguished road

Portland would probally want Jamison anyways since they're looking to add character players to fix their image.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #11
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: George Karl says Rasheed Wallace a Mav?

I just checked it out on Realgm, the only way a trade could happen is if the Blazers wanted Jammison & Najera or Bradley or somesuch. Any walker for Sheed deal would have to wait until December 20th
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:43 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Has everyone forgotten that we cant trade Walker for a while?
Not true actually... we just can't package him with Delk for 60 days.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
I just checked it out on Realgm, the only way a trade could happen is if the Blazers wanted Jammison & Najera or Bradley or somesuch. Any walker for Sheed deal would have to wait until December 20th
Did it say why? I thought the CBA would only not allow you to trade a recently traded player along with another player from the same trade. Or have I read that wrong on this site... where is dooby when you need him?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:47 AM   #14
Tony tha Mavs fan

I think a trade would be for Jamison , since Portland has Zach Randolph already, they could use a quality SF to round out their lineup. Hmm more Wallace to Mavs rumors every other month...
Old 11-08-2003, 01:26 AM   #15
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Maybe this is why Karl made it sound like it was a "wait and see" kind of thing. Because they have to wait for that trade deadline and also wait and see how the Blazers fare. I doubt it will just be for Wlaker though. Otherwise why wouldn't Portland have just dealt with Ainge/Boston?

I bet it is somekind of package deal where the Blazers would get both twans and we would get maybe Sheed and Bonzi(or someone else) and maybe deal bonzi to somewhere else or soemthing.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:36 AM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Finally the Mavs could get a pothead. Maybe if we get a real trouble maker we'll get some respect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seriously I love Rasheed's talent, but I would seriously question chemistry issues. I would also wonder whether Nellie would let/require him to play out on the perimeter most of the time. Sheed has a really nice postup game but doesn't use it near enough. I would really wonder what would happen being traded to a team that has trouble using the postup game.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #17
Tony tha Mavs fan

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Quote:
Maybe this is why Karl made it sound like it was a "wait and see" kind of thing. Because they have to wait for that trade deadline and also wait and see how the Blazers fare. I doubt it will just be for Wlaker though. Otherwise why wouldn't Portland have just dealt with Ainge/Boston?

I bet it is somekind of package deal where the Blazers would get both twans and we would get maybe Sheed and Bonzi(or someone else) and maybe deal bonzi to somewhere else or soemthing.

I think Ainge wanted someone who he could keep around for a couple of years ( raef) . From what i hear, he likes big contracts as opposed to smaller ones, so he can keep a player more than just 1 or 2 years. With Rasheed's Contract up Next year, I don't know if Danny Ainge liked the prospect of Sheed leaving and them getting nothing out of trading Antoine Walker. I think if a trade were to be done it would be for Jamison...since nellie is already talkin up walker as the "Point Forward" he's always wanted.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:45 AM   #18
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Quote:

I think Ainge wanted someone who he could keep around for a couple of years ( raef) . From what i hear, he likes big contracts as opposed to smaller ones, so he can keep a player more than just 1 or 2 years. With Rasheed's Contract up Next year, I don't know if Danny Ainge liked the prospect of Sheed leaving and them getting nothing out of trading Antoine Walker. I think if a trade were to be done it would be for Jamison...since nellie is already talkin up walker as the "Point Forward" he's always wanted.
Also I think Ainge is afraid of the "thug"

Old 11-08-2003, 07:08 AM   #19
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I know this is going to sound bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rasheed here. But only if you Trade Walker for Him and not Jamison. Unfortunately I just don't see why Portland would do it just for Walker, but with Mark Cuban who knows. I also am scared to death about Rasheeds off the court behavior, but I am hoping that the demeanor of this team would stop all of his antics.

I would like to see a lineup of:
PG: Nash, Best, Daniels
SG: Finley, Delk, Howard
SF: Dirk, Jamison
PF: Rasheed, Najera
C: Bradley, Fortson

Thats not a bad lineup and you would have Very good players coming off the bench in Jamison, Delk, Best, and Najera. Dirk and Rasheed could switch out during the game playing the low post and SF. Would really depend on the matchup and who has who on each play down the court. Bradley would benefit the most from Rasheed being here due to Rasheed is one hell of a defender and we could *gasp* actually play alot of man to man defense. I still wouldn't be bothered either to see Delk starting ahead of Finley. Could you imagine both Finley and Jamison coming off the bench? Yowsa!

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 09:17 AM   #20
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok
I know this is going to sound bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rasheed here. But only if you Trade Walker for Him and not Jamison. Unfortunately I just don't see why Portland would do it just for Walker, but with Mark Cuban who knows. I also am scared to death about Rasheeds off the court behavior, but I am hoping that the demeanor of this team would stop all of his antics.

I would like to see a lineup of:
PG: Nash, Best, Daniels
SG: Finley, Delk, Howard
SF: Dirk, Jamison
PF: Rasheed, Najera
C: Bradley, Fortson

Thats not a bad lineup and you would have Very good players coming off the bench in Jamison, Delk, Best, and Najera. Dirk and Rasheed could switch out during the game playing the low post and SF. Would really depend on the matchup and who has who on each play down the court. Bradley would benefit the most from Rasheed being here due to Rasheed is one hell of a defender and we could *gasp* actually play alot of man to man defense. I still wouldn't be bothered either to see Delk starting ahead of Finley. Could you imagine both Finley and Jamison coming off the bench? Yowsa!
The problem is that Nellie won't play Bradley or Fortson at center. I'm not sure Rasheed is a good defender at this point of his career as well. I don't think the Mavs can handle his personality though.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:25 AM   #21
Max Power
Banned

Wallace never plays center anymore so why would he be a center here?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The rumors over the summer were the Blazers wanting Finley, Najera, or NVE. Two of those guys, at least. Obviously with the addition of Walker and Jamison it changes things.

I'd be looking at a combination of those two guys.

Realgm says a Finley/Jamison trade for Wallace/Wells is accepted.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:17 PM   #23
Max Power
Banned

Finley to Portland would be a great move for Finley. Those fans LOVE their players as long as the players can stay out of trouble.

This would be a great trade for the Blazers. They would get two solid citizens for the two most troubled players in the NBA.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:23 PM   #24
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I don't think the Mavs could handle a personality like Rasheeds without the leaderships threesome of FinDirkNash. I also don't think the MAvs could handle Walker and Rasheed on the same team. That equals disfunctional if you ask me. So in my opinion the trade has to include Walker, whether it is Walker and Jamison or Walker and someone else.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:30 PM   #25
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Finley to Portland would be a great move for Finley. Those fans LOVE their players as long as the players can stay out of trouble.

This would be a great trade for the Blazers. They would get two solid citizens for the two most troubled players in the NBA.

Well it would give the Mavs a good chance to lead the league in Technical fouls.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 03:32 PM   #26
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Portland doens't need Finely. They already have Bonzi Wells, Derek Anderson and Qyntel woods. they are fine at the 2 spot. I think Walker or Jamison would be good for them, because Randolph is starting to dominate the 4.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #27
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: arsenalth9
Portland doens't need Finely. They already have Bonzi Wells, Derek Anderson and Qyntel woods. they are fine at the 2 spot. I think Walker or Jamison would be good for them, because Randolph is starting to dominate the 4.
The Blazers would be getting Finley for free. You don't think they are going to resign Wallace do you?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:56 PM   #28
arsenalth9

no, i know they wont resign him, but at least get someone they need outta it, ya know?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #29
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Well it would give the Mavs a good chance to lead the league in Technical fouls.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Haha, amen. If Cuban tried to get Rasheed it would disprove all my past posts about Cuban being a smart owner. The LAST thing we need is a PF, why even look at deals for this?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #30
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
no, i know they wont resign him, but at least get someone they need outta it, ya know?
A high quality guy with a great attitude? That's what the Blazers need.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #31
arsenalth9

There are plenty of high quality guys they need that they also need on the court...finely isn't one of em.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #32
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
A high quality guy with a great attitude? That's what the Blazers need.
MP I would agree with you on this. Fin would be very valuable to the Blazers. He's a leader. He has a high quality character and has great attitude. Plus he's a pretty darn good player. Just what they need.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #33
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

The only thing "high quality" the Blazers have right now is their marijuana.
I agree with arsenal, Portland doesn't need another 2/3...
Old 11-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #34
arsenalth9

I just don't see how a 4th SG would help them that much. Yea, he is a really good player, but until they get rid of at least one of those SGs, i don't a trade like that making much impact.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #35
arsenalth9

On the court that is, morally, yes it would make a lot of impact.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #36
LRB
Guru

Quote:
I just don't see how a 4th SG would help them that much. Yea, he is a really good player, but until they get rid of at least one of those SGs, i don't a trade like that making much impact.
Well I think the point was a Wells/Wallace trade for Fin/Jamison. In that case they'd be replacing Bonzi with Fin.

Old 11-08-2003, 04:46 PM   #37
arsenalth9

lol, never saw the bonzi part in the trade.... that would be a good trade tho.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #38
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

BONZIE AND SHEED ON THE MAVS?!
Just shoot me now!
Why do we get Chester the Molester (Kobe) and Artest while we're at it, have a big jail house rock party...
Old 11-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #39
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
BONZIE AND SHEED ON THE MAVS?!
Just shoot me now!
Why do we get Chester the Molester (Kobe) and Artest while we're at it, have a big jail house rock party...
LOL. Chester the Molester. Good one. And I agree the chemistry issue would blow up in our faces with Bonzi and Rasheed. They're great talents, but poor chemistry.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #40
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

Several things about Bonzi to the Mavs:

a) not going to happen

b) what he did to Fin a while back

c) if that's not enough, read this transcript of an interview with the Oregonian:

Wells apologizes -- for whatever it was he did

11/05/03

The following is a transcript of Bonzi Wells' exchange with reporters on Tuesday at the Trail Blazers' practice facility in Tualatin:

Q: Can you comment on Monday's game?

A: We lost. Tough game.

Q: What about the incident with the fan?

A: It was a tough game last night. I wish we could have won. That's about it.

Q: Did you flip off a fan, Bonzi?

A: I don't remember nothing like that, but if I did, I was probably wrong. But I don't remember doing nothing like that. I black out sometimes. (He winks).

Q: You also didn't remember spitting on Danny Ferry.

A: Why do you have to bring up old stuff all the time? Why can't we talk about good stuff sometimes, man?

Q: If you did flip off a fan last night, if your memory does come back, would you apologize?

A: Oh, definitely. When my memory comes back, I will. But, you know, I black out and have black flashes sometimes.

Q: Is your memory about ready to come back?

A: Yeah, I mean, there was something.

Q: Three games into the season and here we go again.

A: Here we go again, huh? It's another season. If something like that did happen, then I do apologize. But, you know, if that fan was a little more professional, you know, I probably wouldn't have had to do that. If I would have been a little more professional, I wouldn't have put myself in this position. So, if I did do something like that, I do apologize, but, you know, frustration sets in sometimes and you do frustrating things.

Q: What did the guy say?

A: I don't know. Something petty. Something that happened yesterday that's over with. It's in the past, and all I got to do is look forward to my future.

Q: Was it anything racial?

A: I don't know, because I don't think there's a racist person in Portland, so I don't really want to go there.

Q: You talked before the season about being more mature. What happened?

A: You try, man. I tried, brother, but I'll tell you, I'm not going to be 100 percent perfect. I told you I'm going to have a 10 percent lapse sometimes.

Q: This is not going to come across well with the fans. Why not own up to your actions?

A: C'mon, man. Y'all can't keep baiting, man. You're not going to bait me into doing something or saying something retarded. I mean, it happened, it's over, and we lost the game. We play Memphis tomorrow. If y'all want to talk about Memphis, we can. Let's just get past this.

Q: So, there was an incident?

A: All right, thanks fellas.

Interview Link

Not sure if I want someone like that on the Mavs, though I sure like the talent. Right now, the interview is hilarious b/c he's not on the Mavs, but if you have to read the same interview in the DMN and he plays for the Mavs, I can tell you, I won't be laughing.