Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-04-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook

Nelson likes to play other teams' openers
Mavs coach thinks such road games may be easiest wins of year

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

NEW ORLEANS – Don Nelson has a time-tested theory about games like Wednesday's 106-91 blowout of the New Orleans Hornets.

When his team has already played at least once and is visiting a team playing its home opener, he believes his team's chances for success are extremely high.

"I don't know whether the home team gets a little nervous or there's too much hype or what, but in my years of coaching, getting a win on the road on opening night for the other team is maybe the easiest win of the year," he said.

The Mavericks also won their second game last season when they were playing at Golden State's home opener. In four of the last five seasons, they have won such games.

"When you have a game under your belt and come into another building, I just felt more confident about this game" than Tuesday's opener, Nelson said.

It doesn't hurt when your team shoots 53.8 percent and forces 17 turnovers. For the second game in a row, the Mavericks held their opponent under 42 percent shooting.

School of hard knocks:

Devin Harris has proven himself to the Mavericks, which is why he's in the starting lineup. His next step will be to prove himself to referees.

In the season opener Tuesday, Harris took a hard hit from Sacramento's Brad Miller at the end of the first half. Harris landed on his back, and coach Don Nelson leaped on the court as if he were a cork coming out of a champagne bottle.

"I thought it was flagrant," Nelson said. "If it had been Danny Fortson, he would have gotten a three-game suspension."

The Mavericks took note of the non-call.

"I don't think I had to pay dues like that last year," said Josh Howard, referring to his rookie season.

To his credit, Harris did not gripe about the non-call. He realizes he's going to have to earn the respect of the officiating crew.

Harris played just nine minutes Wednesday because of Jason Terry 's effectiveness.

Briefly:

Shawn Bradley had 16 effective minutes against the Hornets, and his six fouls were well spent. ... This is the 14th time the Mavericks have opened a season with back-to-back games. They are 2-0 for only the third time in those situations. ... Coach Don Nelson said that, barring injuries, he expects to stick with the starting lineup he has used in the first two games. Originally, Marquis Daniels and Jason Terry were penciled in as starters. Instead, they will continue coming off the bench behind Josh Howard and Devin Harris. ... Radio announcer Mark Followill will be in Miami tonight to do play-by-play on the ESPN radio national broadcast of the Heat-Cleveland game. ... The Mavericks may have new competition for worst alternative uniforms. The Hornets wore bright yellow "Mardi Gras" uniforms for their season opener. They were every bit as offensive as the Mavs' gray outfits they wore in last season's opener.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: DMN Notebook

Glad JHo earned his spot back and his hamstring issues haven't surfaced yet....
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

The sound of this team just gets better and better....3, 20pt capable players coming off the bench?!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:DMN Notebook

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
The sound of this team just gets better and better....3, 20pt capable players coming off the bench?!
That is just sick!

I hated those piss yellow New Orleans jerseys. What an awful jersey.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Was Booth really that bad during the preseason?

Will NBA All-Stars tip off in Arlington?

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Now that the Cowboys stadium vote has passed in Arlington, could it mean the Mavericks bring an All-Star Game to Arlington in the future?

"Ask me again in five years when the stadium is built," owner Mark Cuban said Wednesday before the Mavs defeated the Hornets 106-91 at New Orleans Arena.

Cuban doesn't support an All-Star Game at American Airlines Center because it would displace the majority of the team's season ticket holders at the expense of NBA cooperate partners.

The new stadium in Arlington, however, could solve that problem because of the increased capacity. The NCAA Final Four, for instance, is played exclusively in domed stadiums, with games routinely attracting more than 40,000 fans. The Arlington facility is expected to have a basketball configuration, making it a possibility for the NBA's midseason spectacle.

The Mavs were working on an All-Star proposal before Cuban purchased the team in 2000. Cuban acknowledged the possibility of revisiting a bid but added the organization would also consider the "hassle factor" of putting on such an event before making a decision.

The Mavericks hosted the NBA All-Star Game in 1986 at Reunion Arena.

Nelson cries foul

A hard foul by Sacramento center Brad Miller against rookie point guard Devin Harris at the end of the first half of Tuesday's season opener drew the ire of Mavs coach Don Nelson.

Harris was streaking to the basket as the second quarter ended, only to be met in the air by Miller, who knocked the rookie to the floor.

At the time, the Mavs coach stomped onto the court pleading for a foul. He had cooled down by Wednesday but still wasn't pleased with the non-call.

"I thought it was flagrant," Nelson said. "[The official] thought he got it right. If that had been Danny Fortson, he'd have a three-game suspension."

Those in the Mavs camp feel Harris is getting the "rookie treatment" by officials. The quick whistles played a part in Nelson pulling Harris in favor of veteran Jason Terry at the end of the fourth quarter against Sacramento.

Asked if Harris' situation is just part of paying his rookie dues, second-year forward Josh Howard said: "I didn't pay them that bad."

Briefly

• Mavs radio play-by-play voice Mark Followill makes his national debut tonight calling the Cleveland-Miami game for ESPN radio.

• Don Nelson said the starting lineup of Devin Harris, Michael Finley, Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki and Erick Dampier is set for the foreseeable future, barring injury.

• Calvin Booth, who struggled at the end of preseason, won't be part of the regular rotation. He's been relegated to third-team center and power forward.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was Booth really that bad during the preseason?
I didn't see any pre-season games, but I posted in the Fan Day thread that I felt much more comfortable with Henderson at PF then Booth. He's always played center and just didn't look comfortable facing the basket or defending on the perimeter. So the only position he can really play is center and thats a log jam position where we have better options.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Henderson plays a better PF than Booth.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I agree that Booth is more suited at the center position than at pf, but why did the Mavs try to force him into that role during the preseason?

In the begining, it was Booth to back Dirk/Dampier with Henderson being the odd man out. Bradley was declared 4th center, then it was DJ who was going to back Dampier and Henderson was still the odd man out. Next comes Nelson saying DJ was never in the right position and without a word (until now) Booth is not even in the rotation.

I guess thats Nelson for you.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Booth was being test-driven in that role with dirk out. Not so hot, can't really consistently hit a 12 footer, henderson is a much better choice. Booth "may" be behind mbenga, but certainly it looks like the centers are going to be damp-bradley. It's a good, solid defensively.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

There isn't enough time for Booth right now. He has to work hard in practice and take advantage of the minutes when they are given. Right now Bradley is playing pretty well. He is in a good role. For most teams he can give the Mavs a good 10 minutes while being agressive and not worry about being pretty. On the other hand, Henderson has been very solid. He can defend further out on the court although he won't block the shots that Booth does. Henderson will step out on the pick and role on defense, block out, and not hurt a team out on the floor. In the preseason, I didn't think Booth looked too good. He was more offensive minded than I had hoped for. Again, Bradley is a mixed bag, so Booth will get chances as the years goes on, so Booth just has to take advantage of the opportunities when they come.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #11
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

I think the expectation was that Henderon's back wouldnt hold up and they'd need someone else to fill the PF backup role, so they worked with Booth on that in practice. However, Henderson is staying healthy so it's better to put a natural forward in that spot. And I guess as center Nellie isnt too fond of him (yet, I'm sure he'd love to keep Bradley off the floor).
Old 11-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one who thinks Bradley is going to have a great year playing as the second center? I think Bradley has relished the role and has played well thus far.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Am I the only one who thinks Bradley is going to have a great year playing as the second center? I think Bradley has relished the role and has played well thus far.
If Nellie will consistently play Bradley, I believe Shawn will pay huge dividends with his play as backup. A Damp/Bradley tandem if used right can be a downright defensive nightmare to the opposing team.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Shawn could be the best back up center in the league.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote