Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down TAGS!!

3 questions

1) What is the benefit of tags in this forum?

2) Will you get rid of them?

3) Who in the hell is the TAG master that thinks he/she is funny?

Now for the most part, I can ignore what is at the bottom of the screen when I am reading through a thread. But, every once in a while my eyes glance down for no apparent reason and I am forced to decipher the thread and it's relation to fluff, flaco's purple nipples, or diarrhea . It is a beating....
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

You honestly can't figure out what tags are for?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I never noticed the tags until you pointed them out...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
You honestly can't figure out what tags are for?
Did I ask what the tags were for?

So if I asked "jthig32, can you read?", would you take that personally? I should have prefaced the question with "anyone can answer but jthig32 because he can be condescending and a smart ass for no apparent reason."
Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Since when do you have to have a reason to be a smart ass on this board?

Seriously though, there were two options. You either:

A. Didn't know their function.

or

B. Didn't see how their function was useful to a forum.

I found A more likely that B. Honestly.

Sorry if I offended.

And for what it's worth, there is hardly a tag master. Quite a few people on this forum appear to enjoy tagging threads. And we have some real, legitimate, useful tags that are being used as well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-09-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Since when do you have to have a reason to be a smart ass on this board?

Seriously though, there were two options. You either:

A. Didn't know their function.

or

B. Didn't see how their function was useful to a forum.

I found A more likely that B. Honestly.

Sorry if I offended.
Then I must truly be a dumb ass because my question was B. I don't see how "these" tags serve as a function to this board. If I were to do a thread search for anything other than nipples, fluff, and diarrhea how would these help? I guess I am not savy enough. Sorry.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

What are tags?
Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.
To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).
This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.
Who adds the tags?
Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.
How do I use tags?
Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'
This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.

This would be great! But, I have not come across a reason to search for "i ate your cat" or "don't be such a taggot"
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
This would be great! But, I have not come across a reason to search for "i ate your cat"
The reason will become all too clear when your cat doesn't come home tonight...

Last edited by Underdog; 12-09-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The reason will become all too clear when your cat doesn't come home tonight...

ahhh, touche'
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The tags CAN serve a purpose. They're mostly for fun, and we do have fun, no matter how idiotic it is.

You can see the tag cloud here: http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.php

There are some tags we use that actually do things, like the game day threads, which I've actually used when looking for something:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.php?tag=gdt+08%2F09

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.php?tag=gdt+09%2F10

Or the Classic Threads tag we've used to keep track of the oldies and goodies:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.p...lassic+threads

And of course, this: http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.p...g+in+the+woods
Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I spit out my drink just now. Thanks. That is enough to keep the tags!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The fun tags are harmless, because the useful tags can still be easily picked out. There's really nothing to complain about here.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I spit out my drink just now. Thanks. That is enough to keep the tags!
I can't take credit for that one...but I'm glad that 'you-too' enjoyed it.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
Underdog

Whoever came up with the "vagina dentana" tag is my hero...

(we need to use that one more in the GDT's!)

Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OMG BONO POSTS HERE?!?!???

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haha that's awesome!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
OMG BONO POSTS HERE?!?!???
YES!!!!! AND SO DOES MICHAEL JACKSON!!! DON'T ASK HOW!!!!!
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
YES!!!!! AND SO DOES MICHAEL JACKSON!!! DON'T ASK HOW!!!!!
with his penis?

Last edited by Underdog; 12-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
with his penis?
Depends...is it white or black?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
yeah, he is a freaking genius sometimes...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #21
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, where did the "fluffy" tag schtick come from?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
By the way, where did the "fluffy" tag schtick come from?
92bDad = fluffy

(but I guess he can't read this since he put me on his IGNORE list...)

EDIT: I'm not the one who came up with that one, but "fluff the tragic dragon" is my favorite...

Last edited by Underdog; 12-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
92bDad = fluffy

(but I guess he can't read this since he put me on his IGNORE list...)

EDIT: I'm not the one who came up with that one, but "fluff the tragic dragon" is my favorite...
He'll see it if I quote it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I think someone is misunderstanding, and therefore ruining, the "tree falling in the woods" tag.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It's not a misunderstanding, but yes it is being ruined.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's not a misunderstanding, but yes it is being ruined.
How would you know the level of understanding if you weren't the perpetrator?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 12-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ok, I guess should say based on the information at hand, I'm assuming what's being done is intentional.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

To those who remain classy and stick to proper message board behavior, I salute you.

To the others, well...I'll stick to the guidelines...but my new signature, is an old Quote from Nick Van Excel...and his quote goes out to all y'all!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
Underdog

Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #30
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

all you all is awesome!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #31
tcat075
Diamond Member

Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #32
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
all you all is awesome!
Grammar teachers everywhere just rolled over in their graves.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #33
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk sucks at most things, but I'm pretty sure the bad grammar was intentional.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #34
tcat075
Diamond Member

i knows their're grammar were awfuls on purposing.

Last edited by tcat075; 12-11-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #35
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
i knows their're grammar were awfuls on purposing.

Remember said grammar teachers? Yea, they just left their graves to look for you.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Remember said grammar teachers? Yea, they just left their graves to look for you.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh man. I hope none of my threads were ever tagged that way. i'd probably have to finally end it for myself
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #38
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
To those who remain classy and stick to proper message board behavior, I salute you.

To the others, well...I'll stick to the guidelines...but my new signature, is an old Quote from Nick Van Excel...and his quote goes out to all y'all!!!

ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by

And of course, this: [url
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/tags.php?tag=tree+falling+in+the+woods[/url]
I wonder when the Moderators are going to wake up...those threads are empty...might as well delete them, looks like the joke is on the Mods, but should we expect anything less?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #40
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
I wonder when the Moderators are going to wake up...those threads are empty...might as well delete them, looks like the joke is on the Mods, but should we expect anything less?
Ah yes, the joke is clearly on the Mods. Minus the giant eagle/flag fetish pic, I really couldn't tell the difference.

The tags on your threads are the best part of them.

I find the zen "tree falling in the woods" tag very peaceful and contemplative. If Sir Fluffalot, in his unending journey to find the fountain of fluff, posts a thread, yet, amazingly, no one seems pay attention to it, did it ever exist in the first place?

ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
don't be such a taggot, fluff daddy in da hizouse, got a bit fluffy in here, i ate your cat!!, shut the fluff up!, tagaliscious, tags are gay, taking it in the tag, thread diarrhea