Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restaurants that absolutely suck

You know, I tried a new restaurant yesterday.. It's a small little place about 4-5 miles from my house. It's called Paco's. Obviously, they serve Mexican food. And guess what.. it totally sucked. I thought I'd try something new..something obviously locally owned.

Well, I walk into the "restaurant" and find a seat. It was easy to find one. It was around 6 and the place was empty. Perhaps that should have been a clue. I should have taken off immediately. But, I thought "what the hell, you can't screw up Mexican food that bad, can you?" Yes, you can. The chips and salsa were actually pretty good. The queso was obviously melted Velveeta (sp?) mixed with a little something else. But hey, it wasn't terrible. So, it was time to order. It was pretty standard for Mexican food. It wasn't cheap but it definitely wasn't pricey. I went with the steak chimichanga with ranchero sauce minus the sour cream (not a big sour cream kinda guy).

Well, I wait around for a bit. The waitress was actually quite friendly. She refilled my drink quickly.. refilled the chips and salsa.. So, that was all well and good until I received my food. Of course, it comes out with some type of cheese/queso topping that was actually different from the cheese queso that was served. And yes, it had sour cream on it. But, I thought I'd give it a try instead of having it returned. I didn't want her to rub her old Mexican teets on my chimichanga when she returned it. Surprisingly, the outside of the chimichanga was perhaps the absolute best outside of a chimi that I have ever had. But, inside the chimi was nothing but steak. Now, to the steak. It was so chewy that it could almost be classified as a jerky. And it tasted as if it was perhaps a few days/weeks/months beyond the recommended use by date. It literally tasted as if it had gone bad. It tasted absolutely horrible.

Heck, I don't know what to do in that type of situation. So, I ate everything except the steak and paid my bill. I didn't want to get pistol whipped upside the head. But, I did drop a number 2 on the bathroom floor so that they'd have something to remember me by.

So, here's the moral of the story. Don't eat at Paco's across from Central High School in Keller.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

^lol.

Rodarte & Vivero's Blue Moon Cantina in Lewisville should be avoided like the plague. The "salsa" was tomato paste. The tamales were *almost* edible. Granted, this was years ago when I ate there. I am amazed anytime I pass that restaurant and see that it is still in business.

Also, if you are ever on the awesome Oregon coastline DO NOT eat at the restaurant near Newport that flaunts itself as a "Tex Mex" restaurant. I don't remember the name of it but that's unimportant. What is important is when I asked for queso I got a blank stare.... I explained to the waiter what queso was and he looked like he understood.... 5 minutes later returning with a small cup of shredded cheese. I explained to him that it' supposed to be melted and he again acted like he knew what I was talking about.... so he took the cup.... only to return minutes later with same cup and placed it on the table and walked away... I looked into the cup to see that he had obviously taken the cup and put it in the microwave because there at the bottom was a clump of melted shredded cheese. I wanted so badly to tear down the "tex-mex" part of the sign. Or at least write "fake" infront of it with a sharpie or something...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

On the Border in Miami. 30 minutes to get a damn quesadilla, and when that came out, it was, well, let's say, way past the point of "well done." It was charred, is what I'm saying. Now, I like my steaks well done, but for them to think I'd ever eat that piece of charcoal is absurd.

No, I'm not exaggerating, it really was black as charcoal.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Los Lupes suuuuuucks.

This is a little OT, but did the Bari's in Flower Mound close? Drove by there the other day and it looked abandoned.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Los Lupes suuuuuucks.
Not the one in Addison!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Up in Smoke in Keller... granted, it doesn't suck, but it's not that great and overpriced. It has very mediocre sliced and chopped beef. The sausage is solid, but that's it. And yes, everyone knows that I'm a big fan of sausage.. go ahead and get that joke out of the way.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
You know, I tried a new restaurant yesterday.. It's a small little place about 4-5 miles from my house. It's called Paco's. Obviously, they serve Mexican food. And guess what.. it totally sucked. I thought I'd try something new..something obviously locally owned.

Well, I walk into the "restaurant" and find a seat. It was easy to find one. It was around 6 and the place was empty. Perhaps that should have been a clue. I should have taken off immediately. But, I thought "what the hell, you can't screw up Mexican food that bad, can you?" Yes, you can. The chips and salsa were actually pretty good. The queso was obviously melted Velveeta (sp?) mixed with a little something else. But hey, it wasn't terrible. So, it was time to order. It was pretty standard for Mexican food. It wasn't cheap but it definitely wasn't pricey. I went with the steak chimichanga with ranchero sauce minus the sour cream (not a big sour cream kinda guy).

Well, I wait around for a bit. The waitress was actually quite friendly. She refilled my drink quickly.. refilled the chips and salsa.. So, that was all well and good until I received my food. Of course, it comes out with some type of cheese/queso topping that was actually different from the cheese queso that was served. And yes, it had sour cream on it. But, I thought I'd give it a try instead of having it returned. I didn't want her to rub her old Mexican teets on my chimichanga when she returned it. Surprisingly, the outside of the chimichanga was perhaps the absolute best outside of a chimi that I have ever had. But, inside the chimi was nothing but steak. Now, to the steak. It was so chewy that it could almost be classified as a jerky. And it tasted as if it was perhaps a few days/weeks/months beyond the recommended use by date. It literally tasted as if it had gone bad. It tasted absolutely horrible.

Heck, I don't know what to do in that type of situation. So, I ate everything except the steak and paid my bill. I didn't want to get pistol whipped upside the head. But, I did drop a number 2 on the bathroom floor so that they'd have something to remember me by.

So, here's the moral of the story. Don't eat at Paco's across from Central High School in Keller.
the question is: did you get diarrhea from this place?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

maybe mcsluggo can chime in. You ever had that crap pizza from a restaurant called Rocco's in McLean? This idiot at my office keeps ordering their crappy pizza for some of our company lunches. Luckily, they order much better food most of the time. Whenever they have it, literally everybody complains. The pizza sauce is almost black and it tastes gross. It's so effing funny, that everybody complains.

This is fresh in my mind because we had a company lunch last friday and they bought that crap. They had so much leftover pizza, because nobody ate it. When i walked upstairs for lunch, i saw the boxes and i turned around and left. I went and paid 8 bucks at this awesome chicken place called chop n chicken.

Anyway, thats all i got. i hate that place and i hope it burns down, and i hope the inventor of that home made sauce dies in the fire

Last edited by MavsX; 03-25-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Los Lupes suuuuuucks.

This is a little OT, but did the Bari's in Flower Mound close? Drove by there the other day and it looked abandoned.

Hmm....I don't think so, but then again I haven't been there in a couple of months. I would be shocked though, they do good business there.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Hmm....I don't think so, but then again I haven't been there in a couple of months. I would be shocked though, they do good business there.
I asked someone else about this. Apparently they're always closed on Mondays. They need to work on some of their landscaping though. Having someone drive through your parking lot and think perhaps you've been closed for a month is probably not a good thing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I went to Roccos THE DAY i moved here... (I brought some friends that had helped me unpack my U-haul), but I haven't been back. we didn't have pizza, we had other things... i don't remember much about it! I suppose nothing to write home about... in a good or a bad way. Now Moorenkos, the ice cream place that just closed that was next to that place.... was the best gawdam ice cream ever to grace this planet. It was AWESOME... so i suppose it was inevitable that it had to die

for Pizza, in McLean I usually go to "Mclean Pizza" (original, I know) it is a fairly standard pie, good but not great; or to "the Itallian Store" in the Lyon villiage shopping center in North Arlington... that Pizza is GREAT (but much further away )
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Double Daves Pizza.

Yuck.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
I went to Roccos THE DAY i moved here... (I brought some friends that had helped me unpack my U-haul), but I haven't been back. we didn't have pizza, we had other things... i don't remember much about it! I suppose nothing to write home about... in a good or a bad way. Now Moorenkos, the ice cream place that just closed that was next to that place.... was the best gawdam ice cream ever to grace this planet. It was AWESOME... so i suppose it was inevitable that it had to die

for Pizza, in McLean I usually go to "Mclean Pizza" (original, I know) it is a fairly standard pie, good but not great; or to "the Itallian Store" in the Lyon villiage shopping center in North Arlington... that Pizza is GREAT (but much further away )
lol. Well, i don't know how you found this thread so fast, but i'm glad you did. That is pretty funny. I know that ice cream place your talking about, i work like pretty much across the street from that place. In the 4 story building behind the strip mall or whatever it is.

I've been to the Italian store a bunch of times. I spent the last 3 years living in clarendon, that place is always packed full of people getting sandwiches or pizza. I just moved to ballston lat week though. Anyway, thanks for chiming in!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, don't go to Nashville if you want good Queso. Apparently here there is no such thing as YELLOW cheese. Queso here consists of white cheese melted and NOTHING ELSE added. It tastes HORRIBLE! Also, there are a ton of Mexican restaurants in Texas that serve hot salsa, (not spicy hot, but cooked hot), and I miss the hell out of that. No one here has that from what I have found - just tomatos with a TON of cilantro, (is that the State Plant of Tennessee or something?).

I swear, I should open my own Mexican restaurant and run it like a Texas Mexican restaurant - it would kill here. Sigh...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

I had quesadillas at Chili's..and yeah, the absolutely sucked. I usually get my quesadillas from a place called Frescos.. Chili's quesadillas absolutely sucked.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I lived in Dallas I had pizza from this place with a pig one time. It was awful. Piggy Pies maybe? It was on either Mockingbird or Lovers, near the shopping center with Panda Express, Subway, Free Birds, ect.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Double Daves Pizza.

Yuck.
Double Dave's is pretty decent in Austin. At least if you order a pizza--the buffet stuff is pretty bad.

There is a place called Abel's on the Lake here that's over on Lake Austin. It gets a ton of business because of it's location and ambiance, but the food is awful. Do not go there.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminds me...One afternoon after a game this season, we walked down to "Sonny Bryant's Smokehouse BBQ" in the West End.

It was extraordinarily sub-standard.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I had quesadillas at Chili's..and yeah, the absolutely sucked. I usually get my quesadillas from a place called Frescos.. Chili's quesadillas absolutely sucked.
hahahaah i work there..which one you get? bacon ranch or jalapeno beef??of course if your used to getting them at a mexican restraunt that specializes in that then there not gonna be as good as say a casual place like chilis..next time try the taco combo..smoked chicken and crispy chicken..really really good!

Last edited by clutch#41; 05-15-2010 at 12:02 AM.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Los Lupes in Irving is very decent IMO
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

I had the jalapeno beef. Come on..the pico should already be on the freaking quesadilla..not on the side.

As for Double Daves... It's ok...not horrific or anything.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
This thread reminds me...One afternoon after a game this season, we walked down to "Sonny Bryant's Smokehouse BBQ" in the West End.

It was extraordinarily sub-standard.
Sonny Bryan's is extreeeeeemely overrated. Next time you want barbecue in downtown just drive up to Sammy's off Maple-Routh and Woodall. That place is really, really good barbecue imo. It's more Uptown than downtown, but it's worth it.

I'd rather go to something generic like Dickey's than Sonny Bryan's. And they're one of the signature places in Dallas. So weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Los Lupes in Irving is very decent IMO
Yuck

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving on Rufe Snow in NRH the other night and noticed a new taco restaurant called Fuzzy Tacos or somesuch. There were tons of people there...could hardly find a parking spot...must be good.... so I gave it a shot.

Turns out, they were selling Baja..which I guess is West Coast style tacos with feta cheese and your choice of protein (shrimp, fish, beef, chicken). Should have been good....how can you screw up a taco?

I had one shrimp tempura taco and one "special" ground beef taco.

It was edible, and that's about it. I won't be standing in line for them again.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-15-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Double Dave's is pretty decent in Austin. At least if you order a pizza--the buffet stuff is pretty bad.

There is a place called Abel's on the Lake here that's over on Lake Austin. It gets a ton of business because of it's location and ambiance, but the food is awful. Do not go there.
I've only been to the one on Pipeline and 820. We did have the buffet, and I guess that's where we went wrong.

It was some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten....but its been a couple of years since I've been there.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
Well, don't go to Nashville if you want good Queso. Apparently here there is no such thing as YELLOW cheese. Queso here consists of white cheese melted and NOTHING ELSE added. It tastes HORRIBLE! Also, there are a ton of Mexican restaurants in Texas that serve hot salsa, (not spicy hot, but cooked hot), and I miss the hell out of that. No one here has that from what I have found - just tomatos with a TON of cilantro, (is that the State Plant of Tennessee or something?).

I swear, I should open my own Mexican restaurant and run it like a Texas Mexican restaurant - it would kill here. Sigh...
So you must be thinking tex-Mex only. Mexican Queso is supposed to be white (queso blanco). Nashville has a HUGE Mexican population (granted not as big as Texas), and they do mexican food, not Tex-Mex.

Also have never heard of temperature hot salsa. Must be a texas thing. Not everything in Texas is the right way to do things.

I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. What restaurants are you going to?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
So you must be thinking tex-Mex only. Mexican Queso is supposed to be white (queso blanco). Nashville has a HUGE Mexican population (granted not as big as Texas), and they do mexican food, not Tex-Mex.

Also have never heard of temperature hot salsa. Must be a texas thing. Not everything in Texas is the right way to do things.

I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. What restaurants are you going to?
No, not everything in Texas is the right way to do things. With that said, I have had Mexican food in 8 states and "tex-mex" is as good as I have found, (and yes, I have had authentic mexican food).

By the way, "Queso Blanco" means white cheese. Not Mexican cheese. Bottom line, it looks like what I am looking for is Chili con queso.

Temperature-hot salsa, yeah, probably a Texas thing. I just prefer it a great deal over the other options. This place serves it, and they have a number of restaurants around Waco/Temple/Killeen. Maybe they have some in Dallas - I dunno, but they count all of them, (Mexican Grille #2, #3, etc...).

As far as the restaurants - I don't even remember all of their names. I ate at Las Palmas, Cancun, Monterrey, and several other "mom and pop" restaurants. No luck... At least I have found that most everyone can make a pretty good Chimi.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Food in other states generally sucks in comparison to Texas.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I was driving on Rufe Snow in NRH the other night and noticed a new taco restaurant called Fuzzy Tacos or somesuch. There were tons of people there...could hardly find a parking spot...must be good.... so I gave it a shot.

Turns out, they were selling Baja..which I guess is West Coast style tacos with feta cheese and your choice of protein (shrimp, fish, beef, chicken). Should have been good....how can you screw up a taco?

I had one shrimp tempura taco and one "special" ground beef taco.

It was edible, and that's about it. I won't be standing in line for them again.
Ha, there's a Fuzzy's Tacos over by TCU. I never got into the tacos, but I must have had over 100 beef enchilada platters there. I was a fan.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-17-2010 at 07:46 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Food in other states generally sucks in comparison to Texas.
Well, you are very wrong regarding fish, (fresh, raw, soups, etc...), but yeah, pretty much everything else...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By the way, "Queso Blanco" means white cheese. Not Mexican cheese. Bottom line, it looks like what I am looking for is Chili con queso.
ha ha ha! I know what blanco means. You don't even need basic Spanish lessons to know that. I was saying that queso blanco is the traditional normal Mexican queso dip. white cheese is also used in queso fundido.

I like las palmas, the one near me is good. I do know that some of them aren't great, though. Maybe the one near you is one of those.

Mazatlan is also decent. Rosepepper cantina is the best, though.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Also, BBQ is better in other states, although I know you will try to say otherwise. Memphis, Kansas city, carolina BBQ - all great.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #32
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
ha ha ha! I know what blanco means. You don't even need basic Spanish lessons to know that. I was saying that queso blanco is the traditional normal Mexican queso dip. The white cheese is also used in queso fundido.

I like las palmas, the one near me is good. I do know that some of them aren't great, though. Maybe the one near you is one of those.

Mazatlan is also decent. Rosepepper cantina is the best, though.
I haven't tried either of your two suggestions, but will definitely try Rosepepper Cantina since you say it is the best. I will give a review once I get that way.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Also, BBQ is better in other states, although I know you will try to say otherwise. Memphis, Kansas city, carolina BBQ - all great.
You are unbelievably wrong... You just like sweet shit...

TX BBQ stands on its own - NOTHING touches it IF you like smoked flavors over sweet flavors.

Hell, my BBQ on my smoker beats that sweet crap.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Rosepepper is a little nicer place than las palmas and mazatlan. It's in east Nashville.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Rosepepper is a little nicer place than las palmas and mazatlan. It's in east Nashville.
That WOULD be nice for a change - most places are quite small and, well, cheap. Cheap is OK sometimes, hell - most times, but it is nice to know of another option. Just like sometimes you want a nice steak instead of Outback friggin Steakhouse.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Ha ha everything is the best in Texas. How could I forget? Will you guys just secede already?

I do like smoky flavors, but prefer the other states. I wouldn't call them overly sweet, except for KC.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #37
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

We're crossing posts, it's confusing.

and I hate quoting posts on my iPod...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Never.........TX is above all.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

I'm not saying all foods..just food in general.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #40
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are unbelievably wrong... You just like sweet shit...

TX BBQ stands on its own - NOTHING touches it IF you like smoked flavors over sweet flavors.

Hell, my BBQ on my smoker beats that sweet crap.
Having had a lot of all of them, NC BBQ is easily the best imo.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote