Modest Mouse
The Doves
REM (up)
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2002, 04:01 PM   #42
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< REM (up) >>

REM, another of my favorite bands that has ceased to be relavent. What the hell happened? And it isn't all Bill Berry's fault!

Plus, they single-handedly destroyed the music industry when they signed that mammoth contract with Warner Brothers.

Seriously, if you look at the recent history of the record biz, it starts to go downhill right after that. Everybody wanted huge record deals with lots of cash up front. Which led to a stifling of up and coming talent as well as the folding of a number of labels and artist discontent (see George Michael, Prince, Dixie Chicks, etc.)
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 04:19 PM   #43
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< five iron frenzy - mixed >>

I didn't catch this earlier novice. Great band.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:35 PM   #44
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

<<
The Doves
(up)
>>

Pounding is single of the year. I cannot get over how
great this album is, I assume you're talking about the new one.
They were just here, but unfortunately I didn't have the money to see
them, as I was already seeing Spiritualized later that week, plus i've
saved all my money to go up and down the east coast to see a rock festival 3 times.
With Oasis, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Dead, Sparta (TWO Texan bands, can't argue with that!) &amp; International Noise Conspiracy on the bill, how can I not!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

thread killa, have you ever seen the Strokes live?
I saw them 4 nights in a row, supporting an Australian band before they released their album.
Mind blowing, they were very little though. They kept promising to come back, but hey, i understand it's a long way.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 04:53 PM   #45
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

I saw the strokes a couple of weeks ago on SNL. They were really good. A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of live mp3's the other day. Haven't had a chance to listen though.

Did you actually see International Noise Conspiracy? Those guys are slick. I really like their old band Refused alot too.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:00 PM   #46
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Van Morrison - &quot;Down the Road&quot;
Robert Cray - &quot;Strong Persuader&quot;
Jimmy Buffet - &quot;Far Side of the World&quot;

Looks like my taste in music is a little outside the mainstream of Dallas-Mav.com (lol)
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #47
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< FilthyFin,

Do you have a promo of the lil flip album or something? is it even out yet?
>>

Haha naw I burned it im not sure if it is released yet but I got my copy off of mIRC32. They have movies before they hit theatres and have cd's before even being announced. Tha Lil Flip album is hot I already got people at my school requestin this flip cd like crazy. I might buy it just to support my man Flip I been bumpin him since his first screw tape.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:12 PM   #48
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< I saw the strokes a couple of weeks ago on SNL. They were really good. A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of live mp3's the other day. Haven't had a chance to listen though.

Did you actually see International Noise Conspiracy? Those guys are slick. I really like their old band Refused alot too.
>>

No, I haven't seen them yet, I will be seeing them in October, 3 times (maybe 4) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Refused were great too.

I'll have to look out for the Strokes on SNL, though it could be months away here.
Do you remember who hosted it?

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-21-2002, 05:18 PM   #49
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

turin brakes - the optimist

what do you think ?
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:20 PM   #50
threadkilla

Jack Black hosted the one with the Strokes. He was pretty funny. He and Will Farrell did this hilarious skit about two bass players having a &quot;Bass Off&quot;.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:29 PM   #51
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I didn't mind the Turin Breaks album, i didn't love it either.
I borrowed it of a friend...and lost it, and had to sort through my whole CD collection
to find it, which has also tainted the CD for me (as it took like 3 days!).
They sound like....a happier Radiohead, not that that's saying much, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being melancholy 10 being miserable) Radiohead score about a -100.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #52
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Turin Brakes, The Strokes, Doves, all pretty good.

I´ve been two a couple of festivals over the last weeks.
One was with Supergrass (live they are even better), Doves, Electric Soft Parade, Joseph Arthur, Millionaire, Savoy Grand to name a few.

The other one was with bands like Turbonegro, Jimmy Eat World, The Chemical
Brothers, Sofa Surfers, Motorpsycho, Tocotronic, Die Sterne, Lambretta, and a lot of other bands.

Right now I´m listening to Beethoven´s Symphony No.9 in D minor. Before that it was Mahler´s Symphony No.1 in D major.

And veruca, I know what you´re talking about with the I should Coco CD. Until recently I just couldn´t hear it anymore.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:10 PM   #53
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I've seen Supergrass three times.
They were out here last month, but i didn't go, thinking that
seeing them three times was enough...apparently they were
at their best ever.
I should be getting a copy of the new album soon. Really
looking forward to that one.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-21-2002, 07:21 PM   #54
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen Supergrass three times.

I've seen super grass a few times myself, but I don't think we are talking about the same thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #55
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I was waiting for it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-21-2002, 07:25 PM   #56
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Veruca, they played four or five of the new songs at the festival. Great stuff. But they are always great playing live, so you can´t be sure how all that sounds on the new album. I didn´t like the last album too much, and I hope they do better this time. They definitly should do a live album next.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:31 PM   #57
veruca salt
Platinum Member

You didn't like the last album much?
I didn't either at 1st, but then with more listens it really grew on me.
Stopped sounding so Bowie, started sounding more Stones.
Moving was an absolute classic, i still have to dance my arse off everytime i hear it.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-21-2002, 07:39 PM   #58
Fidel
Diamond Member

It´s ok, but still a little dropoff to &quot;In it for the money&quot;. &quot;I should coco&quot; is the best anyways. How do you like Iggy Pop? The Passenger is one of my alltime favorite songs.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:12 PM   #59
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I'm a REALLY big fan of The Stooges.
I don't know that much of Iggys' solo stuff, but the Passenger is a
great track. I pretty much just know the singles he's released in recent
years.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-22-2002, 12:45 AM   #60
Drbio
Banned

I'm a REALLY big fan of The Stooges.

Me too. That Curly is one funny dude. And Larry, Mo and Shemp were hilarious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2002, 08:21 AM   #61
veruca salt
Platinum Member

saw that one coming too, i even had an inkling that it might have been coming from you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 AM   #62
threadkilla

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Old 08-22-2002, 09:26 AM   #63
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

today - soundtrack to O Brother, where art thou?
- it's greatness.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 AM   #64
Drbio
Banned

UL- I love that cd. Down to the River to Pray and the Soggy Bottom Boys are solid.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #65
Nellie
Golden Member

Today:

Supersuckers - Sacrilicuous Sounds...

Ed Hall - La La Land

Old 08-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #66
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, it has kinda reintroduced me to the music. Scared the hell out of my wife, thou, when I started listening to that &quot;country music&quot;. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #67
Drbio
Banned

hahaha...I had the cd turned up really high the first time when that clapping started. Yikes! It scared the piss out of me.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #68
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Nice call on the 'O brother where art thou?' soundtrack.

There was an interesting piece on the Jim Lehrer News Hour about Ralph Stanley, and the sort of quietly burgeoning popularity of bluegrass.

I've found a nice collection of Ralph Stanley recordings on KaZaA, and am enjoying them now. It's old time, old school. Perhaps the first-ever intersection of musical tastes between my parents and me.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:27 PM   #69
veruca salt
Platinum Member

today...
outkast - aquemini

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-23-2002, 09:44 AM   #70
Nellie
Golden Member

Today:

Radiohead - The Bends (this morning)

Old 08-23-2002, 01:26 PM   #71
threadkilla

Rye Coalition - Iron Fist in Velvet Glove. Wow.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:20 PM   #72
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Oh someone was telling me about them yesterday Thread Killa.
Can I get some feedback/possible influences??

I'm having issues trying to work out whether I love or hate a band, has
anyone heard Phantom Planet?

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #73
threadkilla

They are sort of a cross between 70's hard rock and punk. I hear a ton of different influences in their music. Great song titles like &quot;Heart of Gold, Jacket of Leather&quot; or &quot;The Higher the Hair the Closer to God&quot;. Steve Albini produced their most recent record.

I am curious about that Texas band And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. Does anyone have feedback on them?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:25 PM   #74
veruca salt
Platinum Member

oh thread killa, ...trail of the dead rule.

i think they were lumped in with the whole 'post rock' thing, but there is much more to them
than that, long epics, fast punk (i mean that in it's truest sense, not green day/offspring).
they've got three albums. each of them better than the last.
the newest one, Source Codes &amp; Tags, is wonderful...it's a bit more Brian Jonestown Massacre than they have been in the past, my favourite tracks are Bauldeaire &amp; Another Morning Stoner.
They're on their way out to Oz in October, going to see them three times.
The festival that they're playing also has another Texan band, Sparta...who are the fro-ed ex members of At The Drive In.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #75
threadkilla

Refused - The State of Punk to Come
Old 08-26-2002, 10:47 AM   #76
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Rusted Root - When I Woke
Old 08-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #77
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I have that CD. I played it for 2 days straight after seeing Ice Age.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:28 AM   #78
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

what song was in ice age? send me on my way?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:35 PM   #79
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

now spinning...SOUTH FM, a local band who just signed a record deal. You can hear them on 102.1 with Dear Claudia. They have a sound that combines Tool and Radio Head. It's pretty 'F'ing great!

BLG
Old 08-26-2002, 01:07 PM   #80
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Rusted Root &quot;Martyr&quot; is a suweeet song.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here