Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-07-2002, 09:49 AM   #1
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

is it becoming a little frustrating that there have been several big deals going on around the league within the past week while we sit and do nothing waiting for Rashard to make up his mind. I'm not saying Shard is not worth the wait but obviously there are teams wanting to deal out there. I personaly think we could have had a shot at Mutumbo personaly for what they got for him. We all know the chances of Shard coming here are not in our favor and we are likely sitting around waiting for Rashard to say no while letting precious weeks pass us by when we could be in the mix. I'm not saying anything has hurt us neccesarily but it worries me a little bit that by the end of this offseason, our biggest acquisition will be re-signing Najera and Wang cause we missed a big window to make deals.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

The thought has crossed my mind.

It will be a negative if they make NO moves during the off-season, while losing Buck.

I'd have been very happy with getting Mutombo/Harpring for NVE/Buck and either Eshc/Wang/LaF.

Add an Oakley signing and Mavs would be ready to go to war.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:06 AM   #3
Nellie
Golden Member

We would have had to find a PG too with the exception but I wouldn't complain about that deal either assuming it was Esch or Bradley that was thrown in.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

mutombo sucked pretty much last year ... like him as a person, but i am rather happy we didnt trade for him .. and i still dno´t see the use of harpring ...

signing rashard would likely be the "most impact" move if you leave behind the andre miller swap this summer, so it´s worth waiting ... (it STILL sucks to wait though)
Old 08-07-2002, 10:24 AM   #5
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I will be happy if we only lose Buck and then sign Wang and Eddie. I thought the idea going into the season was to keep the unit together. Newman is out, as is Manning....replacing them and Buck with our draft choice and the "mystery 7 footer' is enough for me.

While I would like to find a way to move TAW and Ech or Bradleys bad contracts I can live with them. ( I would still make NY take one or more of them in ANY trade for Nick....) I think the key is the signing of Wang and Eddie...they have the potential to be better than most any role players we could secure, especially a great guy like Mutombo who just can not go go like the Mavs like to go go....

Finally it is clearly a BIG BONUS to wait on Lewis, landing him without losing anyone will be the BEST MOVE of any team in NBA...I can wait...PF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Notice that although Philly gave up Mutumbo, they got a fairly capable (improving) big man in return. Can you say that about Bradley?

Would we really want Mutumbo? He's slow and proved 2 years ago that he can do nothing to Shaq.

Najera wants too much money.
Wang is at odds with China.

It's better to wait for offers for NVE than to shop him. The first to speak loses in any negotiations.

What exactly should we be doing that we aren't?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:44 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have rather had the Philly return than Deke. But I agree with SJ here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:44 AM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I am ecstatic that we didn't go after mutumbo. He is not a part of a 6-8 year title run, which is what we have now. Going after 37-40 year olds is silly.

Losing buckner doesn't hurt us IF TAW and/or Griffin come back. If they don't then we need to sign someone. Rashard makes a huge difference.

Also this team needs to internally get better on defense, not try to find a "defensive presence" out there. Raef is still only the what, second, third best shot-blocker? What we need is better team and especially perimeter defense. We also need esch and bradley to realize that if they don't knock someone's head off, they are useless to this team.

I would just as soon play wang at center if they aren't going to get tougher there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

the few times bradley was in the game late in the season he almost instantly went for opponenets heads ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

maybe (lonesome caller in the desert ...) bradley will be the biggest addition to our roster if nellie can somehow get him back to his game ... (and if we fail to sign lewis)
Old 08-07-2002, 10:50 AM   #10
Nellie
Golden Member

<< What exactly should we be doing that we aren't? >>

Maybe doing nothing ends up ok. I am just bringing up the point that an already dry market is getting more dry by the day with negotiating opportunities becoming less and less. This makes me nervous for several reasons: 1) I am not in favor of standing pat wether that includes Rashard or not. Re-signing Najera and Wang while replacing Buck with Mladen or a mystery 7-footer is definitely not an upgrade and probably isn't even standing pat. 2) Not considering deals now could mean another trade deadline deal which I am hoping we can avoid from now on. It seems to be consensus here that Nick will go at some point and I would rather that point not be in mid-February. 3) We haven't addressed anything regarding Nash getting more rest. If nothing else, we need to at least accomplish that this offseason. Sitting around doing nothing is not going to improve that. Asking Nick to play less with a good attitude and Nellie to stay away from small ball is a stretch without acquiring a big man capable of killing the small ball option which is not Bradley. Which refers us back to the reason why #2 is so important.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:26 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

making some trade now will not make a february trade less likely. The whole problem with feb. trades is that it disrupts the team, and the team can't settle down by playoff time. Give nick at least a full season. Dikembe in Dallas would just be a big anchor. Not good for running. I don't think anyone available (other than Lewis) will help us a whole lot more than who we have (or hopefully will still have)
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM   #12
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I think the key to keeping Van Exal happy is to play him more. If he and Nash splits the minutes close to even, I think we win. Nash is fresher for the playoffs and the combined point guard SHOULD be close to the total most productive full game point guard minutes in the NBA. Cuban likes Nick and wants Nash to rest some, I think the plan IS to use Nick more...I hope we don't trade him...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #13
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

<< Also this team needs to internally get better on defense, not try to find a &quot;defensive presence&quot; out there. Raef is still only the what, second, third best shot-blocker? What we need is better team and especially perimeter defense. We also need esch and bradley to realize that if they don't knock someone's head off, they are useless to this team. >>

Good point. Everyone ia saying we need thomas, oak, keon,...etc. I think we'll be fine the way we are. the team D will improve in time. There's no need to deal NVE for some overrated big man. I say wait for Lewis, and if he chooses Seattle go after some other SF/sG. There will be a couple of good players left to use part or all of the exception on.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now our most glaring weakness is a SF that is not an offensive black hole. When griffin was playing it at least he had something, but it would be wonderful to get Najera better offensively.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:34 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a player on the free agent market (except Lewis) who would get more that 12-15 minutes a night for the Mavs. None of them are any better than guys we already have.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:47 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

...maybe (lonesome caller in the desert ...) bradley will be the biggest addition to our roster if nellie can somehow get him back to his game ... (and if we fail to sign lewis)...
-Seelenjaeger

I couldn't agree with you more... A healthy Bradley with a steady role in the rotation would go a long way toward correcting the defensive inadequacies which helped Sacramento lacerate us in the paint during the playoffs. All he really needs is a steady 15 mpg and a freedom from the fear of being removed from the game whenever he makes a mistake... The big man needs PT and the resultant return of his confidence...
Old 08-07-2002, 05:59 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I am glad to see the Mavs not changing just to make a change. Most of the trades so far have struck me as a major mistake on one side or the other. On the free agent side, there is not much out there that would make an actual difference to a playoff team. I think Cuban is taking the correct approach in letting free agents realize how weak the market is before making a move--not to mention focusing on a long shot (Lewis) who would actually make a difference.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote