Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #121
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's jumper is more gauranteed than FDIC.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #122
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Dirk's jumper is more gauranteed than FDIC.
it's pretty jarring when he misses, I must admit.
jleefilled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #123
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
What has Marion done that is so great this game? I like Marion, but I'm not seeing the Butler hate. I think the main problem is the drop off after Dirk is pretty big....
Well first of all, my comments aren't really born from this game. Heck Butler's going to end up having a pretty nice night. It's more about what I saw all of last year continuing.

As far as Marion, it's not that he's so great that he has to start. You'll notice I'm not arguing about who should finish games, or even how their minutes should be distributed.

My point with Marion is that he's our best swingman defender by a mile, and I don't see how it makes sense to start the first six-plus minutes of each half with him on the bench when you know the elite scorers will be on the floor. Obviously he will still find himself on the floor with the elite scorers, but why set yourself up for those 12 minutes every game?

The other side of my point is that I suspect Caron would be much more effective as the focal point of an offense, which he could do for stretches when Dirk is on the bench. And he still could depending on how Carlisle works his sub patterns, but I just think it makes more sense to bring him off the bench.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #124
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

I'm out of here....see you guys.

(Gotta go to work in...umm...approximately 90 mins )

Last edited by LetsGoMavs; 10-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.
LetsGoMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #125
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marion just to needs to shoot it about a foot farther...
Actually he is 6'7ish and can jump out of the gym. He needs to try and dunk the f'n ball instead of trying to throw up an underhanded flip shot like some 12 year old girl.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #126
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually he is 6'7ish and can jump out of the gym. He needs to try and dunk the f'n ball instead of trying to throw up an underhanded flip shot like some 12 year old girl.
This. Those flips and gimmes that he misses really piss me off.

If I were 6'7 i'd be throwing sh!t down left and right.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #127
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
You might be right, but a foot farther on his ugly inside shots and he makes nearly all of them. I actually trust Marion to make that in the future.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #128
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
More consistency on the jumper would be a welcome addition to Caron Butler's game in 2010-2011. His jumper has looked good in the fourth.
But all his losing weight and getting back more athletic had the reason to move away from the "Mavs do or die with the jumper"....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well first of all, my comments aren't really born from this game. Heck Butler's going to end up having a pretty nice night. It's more about what I saw all of last year continuing.

As far as Marion, it's not that he's so great that he has to start. You'll notice I'm not arguing about who should finish games, or even how their minutes should be distributed.

My point with Marion is that he's our best swingman defender by a mile, and I don't see how it makes sense to start the first six-plus minutes of each half with him on the bench when you know the elite scorers will be on the floor. Obviously he will still find himself on the floor with the elite scorers, but why set yourself up for those 12 minutes every game?

The other side of my point is that I suspect Caron would be much more effective as the focal point of an offense, which he could do for stretches when Dirk is on the bench. And he still could depending on how Carlisle works his sub patterns, but I just think it makes more sense to bring him off the bench.
To be honest, I doubt Carlisle knows how the minutes will be distributed. Caron vs Marion is a pickle. I'm not sure though you put as much stock in the rest of the second unit....if Roddy starts then you have Terry/Caron as the offense off the bench. Sounds great, but then you wonder who the focal point will be? Terry or Butler? My point is that just as many issues could come from Butler coming off the bench as Marion. I still believe that you need Butler's offense more than Marion's defense. If Butler HAS to be the focal point of the offense, then maybe you have a point...otherwise, I think we start games slow with Marion to start. Hell, we might start games slow anyway. It still looks like a bit drop off from Dirk either way...but, it is preseason...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #130
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
But all his losing weight and getting back more athletic had the reason to move away from the "Mavs do or die with the jumper"....
Whether or not the Mavs are do or die with the jumper this season, I think they could use Caron developing into a better mid-range and outside jump shooter.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #131
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
..then you have Terry/Caron as the offense off the bench. Sounds great, but then you wonder who the focal point will be? Terry or Butler? My point is that just as many issues could come from Butler coming off the bench as Marion.
I think Jthig may have a point about Caron coming off the bench to be more of a focal point. If today's game says anything, it tells me that Caron and Terry play pretty well off one another.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #132
toutlemonde

toutlemonde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMavs View Post
I think we've seen the best Barea has...and it's serviceable, but not in a big time role kind of way. :/
Was at the game and agree that Barea is at best competent. Was hoping to see Dee Brown get some minutes. In the Wizards game Dee looked better than Barea.
toutlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #133
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

btw Haywood/Chander 5/13 with one block in 36min. If you add Mahinmi its 5/22.

Too less offense.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #134
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toutlemonde View Post
What is the best option to get 4 tickets for the family for tonights game ? Box office or some reseller at the AAC ?
I haven't been to any games since they moved to the AAC
Thanks.
When I want tickets (especially tickets for a game that is not a hot one) I always go to the box office 2 hours before tip-off. They sell single game tickets at very deep discounts. You get them all in the same section and then you wait a little bit then move to adjacent seats. You "might" get embarressed if someone comes in after the first quarter or towards the half but not usually.

100+ dollar tickets for $35 is hard to beat. $75 dollar tickets for about 20 or so.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #135
toutlemonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
When I want tickets (especially tickets for a game that is not a hot one) I always go to the box office 2 hours before tip-off. They sell single game tickets at very deep discounts. You get them all in the same section and then you wait a little bit then move to adjacent seats. You "might" get embarressed if someone comes in after the first quarter or towards the half but not usually.

100+ dollar tickets for $35 is hard to beat. $75 dollar tickets for about 20 or so.
Dude,
I did that tonight. Even was able to get in a better section. I guess the preseason they don't care as much...They did however keep fans way back the hour prior to tip ...seemed they wanted to prevent autographs of mavs players... I saw Rose giving Chicago fans autographs on the other corner...nice of him to do that.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #136
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toutlemonde View Post
Dude,
I did that tonight. Even was able to get in a better section. I guess the preseason they don't care as much...They did however keep fans way back the hour prior to tip ...seemed they wanted to prevent autographs of mavs players... I saw Rose giving Chicago fans autographs on the other corner...nice of him to do that.
Cool.. I'm surprised about them not letting you down there. They usually let folks sit down in the lower level while guys shoot around, then they come over and sign autographs on the way out. Usually the front row or so actually. It's usually in only one corner however.

So what price ticket did you get for how much? I haven't bought one at the window in a while.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 10-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #137
toutlemonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Cool.. I'm surprised about them not letting you down there. They usually let folks sit down in the lower level while guys shoot around, then they come over and sign autographs on the way out. Usually the front row or so actually. It's usually in only one corner however.

So what price ticket did you get for how much? I haven't bought one at the window in a while.
$10 but again it was preseason and the ticket was upper deck but I saw it was empty behind the baskets and off to the side on first floor and sat there.

About 45 min before the game they made all the mavs fans hanging out in the corner the mavs used get way back...it was mean as heck as it was still empty. Chicago fans got autographs. Mavs didn't.

I guess it the discretion of the usher.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #138
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

dirk is gonna turn me gay
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #139
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I've seen a single person mention this, but Ian Mahinmi came off the bench and grabbed 9 rebounds in 10 minutes, if I am remembering the box score I looked at just 5 minutes ago correctly. That's a pretty impressive rate.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #140
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

I don't think Marion is gonna be starting if Caron is healthy. I get your point about Marion but take into consideration that we struggle out of the gates with slow starts quite a bit. Obviously RC is making that a priority to fix and keep us from having to climb out of a hole due to lack of offense and flow. Caron isn't a bad defender at all and I don't see many situations that he gets us killed, even if so bring in Marion. Of course this all probably depends on if Roddy is worthy of the 2.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #141
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
dirk is gonna turn me gay
"Turn"??? Don't you mean "keep"?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #142
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

WHoo. Whoo

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #143
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

“That was probably the first time Shawn Marion probably came off the bench in his career and he played a real sensible game,” Carlisle said. “He was trying to make simple plays…I have talked to him about it and when he is out there with the second team a lot of our stuff is gonna go through him. He is an experienced guy that makes things happen.”

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/in...010_10_08.html

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #144
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

The person I trust the least is RC's ability to establish his rotation and utilize his bench. He is not the sharpest tool in the box it just takes him too long to figure it out. I think too many options or decisions for him to have to make overloads his brain.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #145
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I want download match Mavs vs. Bull.Where I must search???Pleas help me!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote