Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #41
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default The "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years," as chosen by VH1.

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Prince is a pimple on the ass of a band like Rush. I like his music OK but please.
Pshawww!! Prince is the deal. He has recorded twice as much completely-inaccessible-to-the-masses music as Rush has. Their styles are completely different, but you can't deny the compositional greatness of Prince if you're familiar with his catalog.

I agree with Dooby about Aerosmith, even though I forgot about them 'til now. If you're talking about only songs from 1978 onward, they definitely deserve a spot on this list.

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #42
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I have a buddy that is a die-hard Prince fan. From that, I grew to respect Prince. Prince basically did a Pearl Jam before Pearl Jam even existed. And Prince did it to the extreme. Prince has his own label and distribution. So his music isn't promoted he sells record solely by word of mouth and his fan base. So he doesn't sell millions of records any more but he makes more money than most artists.

Prince is on the list more than you think. He wrote "Nothing Compares 2U." Give him some credit for that.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:36 PM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Say what you want about Prince, but he has put out some great music. He dwarfs Rush in terms of musical significance.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Prince is relatively insignificant
Rush is extremely insignificant
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:51 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shocked that "foolish games" by Jewel isn't on the list.

any song spend longer in the top 10?

wasn't it in the top 10 for something like 54 weeks?..literally over a year.

not saying i love the song, but what does a song have to do to get on the list?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #46
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default RE: The "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years," as chosen by VH1.

So what was the process for choosing the 100, surely Dooby can enlighten me.
Like i said previously, I was under the impression it was voted on by VH1 viewers.
Obviously these things are always going to be controversial, no matter how they're compiled.

That said, this is easily one of the worsts lists i've seen.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #47
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy is overwhelmingly insignificant.

Murph, I think you're thinking about top 100 and not top 10 for Foolish Games, but the 54 weeks number sounds right to me. The record holder - Tainted Love by Soft Cell was on the Hot 100 for almost two years (101 weeks, I think) and Runaround by Blues Traveler was a distant second on that list last time I heard. Which may or may not have been before Foolish Games came around.. I can't really remember.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:17 PM   #48
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road

[quote]
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok
But to not have (1) tupac song on there is absurd.

Also why is 96. Beastie Boys, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!)" when its clear that Brass Monkey was the best Beastie Boys Song?

i agree ummmmm ok... brass monkey is definitely better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:42 PM   #49
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: The "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years," as chosen by VH1.

brass monkey! that funky monkey!

c'mon, let's all sing along!
Old 06-13-2003, 04:16 AM   #50
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Actually I miss The Prodigy or Fatboy Slim or Moby at this list aswell as Smashing Pumpkings. Altogether it´s an interesting approach to things.