Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default Recharged Avery Ready for Title Run

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...l/15610822.htm

Recharged Avery ready for title run
By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The mental hangover lasted about a month. Losing the last four games of the NBA Finals after being up 2-0 isn't something one rebounds from over the weekend.

Avery Johnson won't ever completely get over it. Not as long as basketballs bound off the hardwood. But, as the summer wound down, the Mavericks coach moved on.

An eye-opening two-week tour of Africa began the healing process. The anticipation of what lies ahead, and the work involved, finished the job.

A week from training camp, the defending Western Conference champions appear stronger than they were three months ago. So does Johnson.

"You're always going to think about it," Johnson said recently about the loss to Miami. "The way you manage last season or manage a loss of a game is the key. Look at the way we managed losing against Phoenix [in the 2005 playoffs].

"What did we learn from it? How can we improve ourselves in the short term and the long term? It sticks with you, but you have to move forward."

The first steps for Johnson were overseas. His trip began in late July in Senegal, home of DeSagana Diop and his family. With his cellphone quiet -- no signal -- he left the U.S. behind, decompressed and absorbed Africa.

Diop, an always jovial 7-footer, played tour guide, and Johnson, despite the depressing conditions that plague the West African country, found joy.

"Everybody in his family is in great shape," Johnson said of the Diop clan. "They walk everywhere. His dad isn't used to getting on buses and cars. He walks everywhere.

"They are people that live in a place that can be very depressing to live in, but they're so happy. They just are fun people."

The spirit of the Senegalese people moved Johnson.

"They do more with a little than we do with a lot," he said.

Johnson's trip to Goree Island, an isle off the coast of Senegal that served as a depot for slaves before their transfer to North America, and his visit to the site of Nelson Mandela's imprisonment on Robben Island in South Africa further touched the New Orleans native before his return to Texas on Aug. 8.

"Just to see the struggle people had, especially to make my life a little easier in 2006, is emotional," Johnson said. "For me, reconnecting with where it all began gave me a greater sense of appreciation for who I am, what I do, my family and this country. We obviously aren't perfect, but it's a great country."

On a much lesser scale, Johnson could say the same about his team. The Mavs didn't go into the off-season looking for a massive overhaul. They didn't need one.

What were needed were tweaks here and upgrades there. Battle-tested veterans Devean George, Greg Buckner, Anthony Johnson and Austin Croshere join the Dirk Nowitzki-Jason Terry-Josh Howard core when camp begins Oct. 3 in Denton.

Johnson may have a new contract in place before the first practice at the University of North Texas, though owner Mark Cuban and Johnson's agent declined to comment on negotiations. Johnson's current deal runs for three more years, and he is among the lowest-paid coaches in the league.

That's hardly his focus now. If all goes to plan in Johnson's second full season as coach, another lengthy run toward the title is ahead.

"We go in it for the long haul," he said. "That's what we said all through the regular season [last year], that we would love to get the best record but we're more concerned with the big picture. That's not an arrogant statement. That's just the vision that we have."

ONLINE: mavs.com

IN THE KNOW

Mavs' key dates

Training camp: Oct. 3-Oct. 6 at the University of North Texas; practices then move to American Airlines Center.

Preseason schedule

Oct. 10 at NO/Okla. City*, 7 p.m.

Oct. 12 vs. Sacramento, 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 14 at Milwaukee, 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 17 vs. Houston, 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 19 vs. Milwaukee, 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 21 vs. Washington, 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 25 vs. Cleveland**, 6:30 p.m.

Oct. 27 at San Antonio, 7:30 p.m.

Season opener

Nov. 2 vs. San Antonio, 7 p.m., TNT

* in Oklahoma City

** in Pittsburgh

Key dates

TRAINING CAMP

Starts Oct. 3 in Denton at UNT

PRESEASON OPENER

Oct. 10 at NO/Okla. City, 7 p.m.

HOME OPENER

Nov. 2 vs. San Antonio, 7 p.m., TNT
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a sappy fluff story to convince me to get behind my team...

propaganda... sinking... into... brain...

G-O M-A-V-S!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

"They do more with a little than we do with a lot,"

That's actually a pretty good lesson to learn - I wonder if it will carry over into his coaching?

Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

It was good to see Avery at the game. He really seemed to be enjoying himself.

In case you missed it, AJ gave the Saints a pep talk before MNF last night. Payton later gave him a game ball to accept on behalf of the NOLA residents...pretty cool.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 09-26-2006 at 02:53 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was going to say the same Mary
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary

In case you missed it, AJ gave the Saints a pep talk before MNF last night. Payton later gave him a game ball to accept on behalf of the NOLA residents...pretty cool.

I missed that - very cool indeed...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I missed that - very cool indeed...
Well, all you really missed was the sideline interview he had with..either Tafoya or Suzie..but he told about being asked to give an inspirational speech to the team.

That was followed up by a fake interview with the Fake Avery on the Musers this morning..."I told them not to CHOKE like the Mavs did..." - it was funny stuff.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 09-26-2006 at 08:56 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary

I wish I hadn't missed that, very cool.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote