Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Cuban: Team will continue to train in U.S.

Cuban: Team will continue to train in U.S.

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The San Antonio Spurs are having training camp in France. The Los Angeles Clippers are in Russia. Philadelphia is in Spain.

And the Mavericks are in Denton.

This is by design. The Mavericks like the larger facilities at the University of North Texas and the bonding that they will do for four days. But they were asked by the NBA to train in Germany so that Dirk Nowitzki could be showcased in his homeland. Owner Mark Cuban elected to pass.

"No chance," Cuban said Monday. "I think it's ridiculous. It's hard enough on these guys as it is to prepare and avoid distractions and learn the system. It's been suggested that we go over because of Dirk. I fight it every chance I get.

"I'd rather play in Pittsburgh."

The Mavericks will do just that later this month in an exhibition game against Cleveland in Cuban's hometown.

"I don't have a problem training outside of Dallas," he said. "I just don't think there's any value in doing it overseas."

Nowitzki has a different outlook. He obviously would like the chance to train and play a couple exhibition games in Germany.

"Yeah, the NBA was trying to get us to go to Europe for quite some time, to play in Germany," he said. "There are games in Germany next week and we're not there. Steve [Nash] is playing over there. I'd love to be there and represent the Mavericks over there in my home country. But it hasn't really worked out.

"So we go to beautiful Pittsburgh this year."

Learning from the best: Centers DeSagana Diop and D.J. Mbenga spent some time during the summer in Houston to work with Hakeem Olajuwon.

"I think it will be beneficial, just like the guys who went through the summer leagues and our off-season programs," coach Avery Johnson said. "That work with Hakeem was pretty beneficial."

Briefly: Josh Howard's contract status probably won't get addressed until close to the Oct. 31 deadline. Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson both said there's a chance it could be tabled until after the season, when Howard would be an unrestricted free agent.

Keith Van Horn technically remains a Maverick. He is mulling his options, including retirement. He may wait until the season begins and see if the right playing opportunity comes along. Until then, he and his family are living in Colorado.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson both said there's a chance it could be tabled until after the season, when Howard would be an unrestricted free agent.
The English sentence puzzled me. Does it mean they said JHo might not extend until after 05-06 when he would become an unrestricted FA? ... Won't JHo be a restricted FA next summer if he doesn't extend before Oct. 31?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw-xx
The English sentence puzzled me. Does it mean they said JHo might not extend until after 05-06 when he would become an unrestricted FA? ... Won't JHo be a restricted FA next summer if he doesn't extend before Oct. 31?
Yes..... he will be restricted. That was either a mistype or an idiot writer.

One comment about the Germany thing..... Cuban does love to counter Stern's wishes.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-03-2006 at 06:48 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all
Unhappy

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Why not showcase Dirk? Well, anything is as good as training in Germany so long as the Mavs get to play some ball and be ready come season opener.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
"I don't have a problem training outside of Dallas," he said. "I just don't think there's any value in doing it overseas.

Makes sense to me - why spend 2 days travelling for 4 days of practice just so Dirk can play in Germany & Stern can spread his empire globally, especially when we have so much on the line this season??? I don't want to miss out on a Championship because some circus act hindered our early-season preperation [see T.O. & the Cowboys for reference - the passing chemistry for the whole team sucked in the first 2 games because he missed practices...]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

to owns

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote