Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #121
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:cows vs vikings0 Gameday Thread

I disagree. Even if the Cowboys were able to shut down Moss, which is almost impossible in single coverage, the Cowboys would have a hard time containing Culpepper. Their running back (Smith) was also strong. I think at this point the Vikings just had too many weapons. Too much in their arsenal. I was thinking of ways to get Culpepper to make a mistake. One way is to just contain him, don't let him run but let him throw. I'd rather have a throwing Culpepper than a running Culpepper. Secondly, if the Cowboys actually force him to run. The D-backs should immediately grab and wrestle the receivers. It should be man-man coverage with a scrambling qb. Once the qb scrambles, all d-back tie up the receivers.

Quote:

one decent cornerback would've made the diff in this game..hell just having darren woodson might've made the difference

minnesota isn't that good..yea they can put up points but they aren't going to stop anyone..dallas offense was marching up and down the field today

minnesota looks like the nfc's version of kansas city...they'll fizzle out again in the second half of the year and miss the playoffs

also, how is big bill going to manage the running game? rashard lee looked pretty explosive out there and eddie george started off well but ended up with his usual 3 yards/carry

dallas looks awful though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]..i just hope they finish with a winning record..playoffs look like a pipe dream seeing how washington and philly played today
Old 09-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #122
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: cows vs vikings0 Gameday Thread

Bill Parcells is making the Cowboys into Jets of the West. Or Jets-Lite. Take your pick. But as much as everyone "oohs and aaahhs" over Parcells, there is one small problem with him: he hasn't won in anything in the two other stops before the Cowboys. It has been 13 years since he has won anything. The game's changed since then. A lot.

Don't expect him to turn around the Cowboys. For he will pull a Nelson. He'll make them "respectable." But at the end of the day, what's the difference between a 5-11 team and a 9-7 team (no playoffs)? It's not like Dallas can't sell tickets.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #123
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's an entirely bleak prediction. Especially since he already does seem to have "turn[ed] around" the Cowboys. While I get your point about one non-playoff season being just the same as another, I remind you that we DID make the playoffs last season. Where does that point even come from? You are predicting failure this year on the basis of one game?

What Parcells did in NE and NY was nothing short of terrific. It's quite a stretch to characterize those stops as not winning anything. A ton of regular season wins and a few playoff wins--that's nothing?

In what ways do you think the game has passed Parcells by? What are these major changes? Plus, it's not as though Parcells has been out of football this whole time. He's seen everything first-hand. Also witness the success that his protege Bill Belichik is having.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #124
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

The difference is precisely a winning season, for now. I decided to not watch my team some years ago cause it was very frustrating, but Parcells brought me back the need to watch them again.

If they keep a winning season then the next step is to put them in the playoffs, maybe the next season. This time is just great to see Testaverde with the lone star throwing like in the old times.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #125
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If Parcells thinks this team isn't a playoff contender at some point he's going to have to see what he has in some of our younger guys like Henson, Julius Jones and Bryant. If all we can do is when 5 games this season then I see this season as a failure. Not because of our record but because we played our older guys and still couldn't manage to win any games. I'm not going jump off ship just yet though. Chances of us beating the Vikings at home were slim to begin with but I am a bit worried about our defense. That corner position looks like it's going to be our downfall this year. I guess Mario Edwards wasn't so bad afterall.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #126
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I guess Mario Edwards wasn't so bad afterall.
cringe - please reserve comments like these until after we play cleveland.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #127
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I guess Mario Edwards wasn't so bad afterall.
cringe - please reserve comments like these until after we play cleveland.

It has nothing to do with last sundays game. Mario ws a solid player last year until he ran into this trend were everytime he tried to defend someone the ref would call pass interference. I do know one thing for sure and that is he's better than anyone we have at the corner position with the exception of TNEW. Yea, I know that doesn't say much with our current crop of corners but he was solid last season.

1996-2005
Old 09-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #128
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

What really scares me is the fact that corner is not a position in which you expect a guy to get better as the season progresses. Dixon and Hunter both lack the swagger needed to play the position and I'd be shocked if it gets better anytime soon.

It's frustrating because they're both good athletes who put themselves in position to make plays...they just don't have the confidence to do it.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #129
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
What really scares me is the fact that corner is not a position in which you expect a guy to get better as the season progresses. Dixon and Hunter both lack the swagger needed to play the position and I'd be shocked if it gets better anytime soon.

It's frustrating because they're both good athletes who put themselves in position to make plays...they just don't have the confidence to do it.
You don't think both guys had jitters before their first game starting though?

1996-2005
Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #130
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

^^Not really. Dixon has been around, what, 4 years? We've seen his act before. The guy has no instincts. His PI on Moss was the perfect example. The ball was underthrown so he was in a better position than Moss to make the play. Instead, he doesn't even look up, he just runs into the receiver.

Pete Hunter has played enough that he shouldn't be nervous. If he was, we're even worse off then I thought. You have to be cocky to play coner. Terell Buckley sucks, but he's been able to survive because he's confident enough to at least try to battle receivers.