Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs vs Warriors

The Mavs beat Golden State today. (16th) Still no recap or boxscore up but I found this over on the Warriors board. Some confusion in the first post. When he talks about Daniels drafted by Portland and Powell by NJ, I think he's referring to nbadraft.net's mock draft. I'm guessing he's talking about Howard and not Powell that was flying all over.

Warriors lost by about 30. Dunleavy threw some beautiful passes, shot very well from deep, but turned it over alot. Jiri confirmed my thoughts from last night. He needs to catch and shoot or keep moving without the ball. With the ball he is a liability. Pietrus actually has a very sweet shot. Very soft and effortless. I am thinking it is his footwork that gets him off balance and erratic. Revounded very well. He was actually beaten to the hoop by a guy I've never heard of but who was the best player I saw all summer. (Him and Radmanovich, sorry about the spelling) I looked him up on NBADRAFT.net and I hope someone out there can tell me more about him and how he ended up on Dallas's summer team. Marquis Daniels from Auburn. Wow! Smart, Strong, quick. He was drafted 54th by Portland. If anyone knows anything about this guy could you post it. Wow!!!! They also had Josh Powell from North Carolina State taken by New Jersey 51st. Skinny, but a flyer and a good shooter. The Daniels kid was playing playing 1 (and eating up Zimm) 2 (driving past MP) and 3 (too quick for Dunleavy and Jiri) I generally don't like to 2nd guess things (generally it makes you look like an idiot) but what made these guys, especially Daniels last till the end of the round? Both are much better than Zimm. Does anyone know why they are playing for Dallas?
I'll still thinking thru my recap for the summer. I'll do that later. Mussleman was pissed today. Dallas was OK but not that good a team.. They still killed us with our 3rd, 11th, and 16th draft picks. They had no first rounders playing.

Continued later

I have to tell you about one play Daniels made. I still can't get over it. He drove baseline from the right wing and ran into Long at the basket. Before he hit him he turned his right shoulder into him. He was facing away from the basket. As he hit Long he got seperation and continued making a 360 move and shot a little right handed lay in. Amazing!! To clarify. Both Josh Howard, drafted 29th by Dallas and Josh Powell, undrafted from NC State Southern were on the Dalls Roster . One of them scored around 25 points today and was flying around the place. (Daniels had around 25 as well) I hope it was not Powell because I will be wondering why the Warriors have shown no interest.
Dallas seems to have good scouting. Does anyone know why? Is it just the owner spending money?

Old 07-17-2003, 02:52 AM   #2
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs vs Warriors

need to go a head and sign Daniels before someone else does.
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:59 AM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Mavs vs Warriors

Yeah, we could probably offer him the minimum RIGHT NOW and he'd be ecstatic enough to sign it without shopping around. GET IT DONE. I do not want this to haunt us in a few years.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:08 AM   #4
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about
Default Mavs vs Warriors

...seems like the kid can play...we definitely need some young athletic guns in our arsenal...I hope Marc is all ears...

Marquis Daniels
Forward | #3 | Senior | Roster

2002-03 Season

Height: 6-6
Weight: 200 lbs.
Hometown: Orlando, FL

Season Averages
YR GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2003 34 33.8 18.4 6.2 3.3 3.0 1.1/1 2.3 0.2 2.0 .513 .673 .306 1.31

Season Totals Rebounds
YR GMS MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF
2003 34 1148 244 476 107 159 30 98 625 63 147 210 113 102 77 8 68

Scouting Report
Role: Starting wing. Back-up point guard.

Career to date: Highly sought after recruit. Played his senior year at Mt. Zion Christian Academy, a virtual basketball factory producing Division I prospects. Averaged 23.4 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game. Played his first three seasons at Edgewater High School in his hometown of Orlando. Averaged 22 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists as a junior, and was named first-team Class 6A All-State and the Orlando Sentinel Conference Player of the Year. Averaged 4.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 12.7 minutes per game while appearing in 17 games as an Auburn freshman. Broke out as a sophomore. An All-SEC third-team selection and averaged a team-high 15.7 points, 7.0 rebounds, SEC-best 2.2 steals in 30.4 minutes per game. Played point guard most of the season after starter Jamison Brewer left for the 2001 NBA Draft following his sophomore season, well after the collegiate signing period. Posted 11.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game -- all team-highs.

Scouting Report: One of the most underrated talents in the country ... Productive in virtually every aspect of the game ... Has played four positions during his Auburn career. Terrific athlete ... Displays good change of direction speed ... Strength lies in going to the basket ... Earns frequent trips to the charity stripe when he goes up to finish ... Can stop and score from anywhere during the duration of his penetration, because at 6-6, he can shoot over many of the defenders that guard him ... Has never been much of a long-range shooter ... Will take a fair amount of 3's, but he is a far surer bet to score closer in ... Hits a high percentage of his shots overall from the field ... Solid rebounder ... An outstanding passer ... Has played a lot of point guard over his career, and started at the position in every SEC contest of the 2001-02 campaign ... Shows intensity on the defensive end ... One of the better ball thieves in the country ... Has tremendous instincts and speed, was made to play this game.

Professional Outlook: Daniels is an early second round pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. If he could shoot the ball, he would be a lock for the first round, but the lack of success of Orlando Magic 2001 first-rounder Jeryl Sasser, who was also a big point-forward without a perimeter game, will likely scare teams off.

Stat Stuffer: As a sophomore, scored a season-high 28 points (13-of-15 field goals) in 29 minutes vs. Grambling. Had 26 points (11-of-14 field goals), seven rebounds, a career-high five steals and four assists vs. Louisiana-Lafayette. Totaled 24 points and a career-high 13 rebounds at LSU, including a double-double in the first half alone with 20 points and 10 rebounds. As a junior, nearly recorded the first triple-double in Auburn history with nine points, nine assists and eight rebounds at Ole Miss. As a senior, had 38 points (16-of-21 field goals) and nine rebounds vs. Troy State. Notched 31 points at South Carolina. Totaled 27 points (12-of-15 field goals, 10 rebounds and seven assists vs. Georgia State. Tallied 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists vs. Rutgers.

Fun Fact: Daniels played at the same high school that produced Orlando Magic star Tracy McGrady.

Six Degrees of MJ: Daniels played on the Tigers with Jamison Brewer who plays on the Indiana Pacers with Brad Miller who competed on the Chicago Bulls with Charles Oakley who plays on the Washington Wizards with Michael Jordan.
link
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #5
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all
Default Mavs vs Warriors

I will be extremely disappointed if some other team swoops in and sign either Powell or Daniels (Daniels seem to be my favorite now - size and agility). Unfortunately what I see happening is that Cuban is watching the FA market and won't commit dollars until he strikes out again. Meantime, team scouts are watching our guys and are probably drawing up contracts for Powell and Daniels as we speak. Donnie is credited for scouting and signing these guys for the summer league teams, hopefully he will get his wish and get Cuban to sign them up pronto!

As for the other team (Boston Summer League), I haven't noticed and extraordinary stats from the players. I assume the Mavs will select the top 1 or 2 from that team and invite them to play in the Rocky Mountain Review summer league team.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs vs Warriors

Cuban has been quoted that he would most likely commit to young players and would like to see them develop. I'm assuming he means Howard, Daniels, and Powell.

It would be nice to see all three of these young players be on the roster, with Howard and Daniels on the active and Powell on the IR.

I swear, if Cuban lets Daniels get away this summer. I will be even more upset over this then the Mourning, Malone fiascal.

I don't see why they don't just sign the guy up now before some team see's his potential and gives him a gaurenteed contract that he can't refuse.

GET IT DONE NOW CUBAN...BEFORE YOU SCREW THIS UP EVEN MORE!!
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Mavs vs Warriors

So you know, yesterday, the 76ers signed Amal McCaskill off the Knicks summer team. So, it is possible that someone could snatch up either Powell or Daniels today if they wanted to.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:58 AM   #8
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Mavs vs Warriors

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Cuban has been quoted that he would most likely commit to young players and would like to see them develop. I'm assuming he means Howard, Daniels, and Powell.

It would be nice to see all three of these young players be on the roster, with Howard and Daniels on the active and Powell on the IR.

I swear, if Cuban lets Daniels get away this summer. I will be even more upset over this then the Mourning, Malone fiascal.

I don't see why they don't just sign the guy up now before some team see's his potential and gives him a gaurenteed contract that he can't refuse.

GET IT DONE NOW CUBAN...BEFORE YOU SCREW THIS UP EVEN MORE!!
DITTO!

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Mavs vs Warriors

I'm officially in on daniel's now...I questioned at first but after seeing him again...I'm in, let's get him signed and trade aj.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs vs Warriors

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
So you know, yesterday, the 76ers signed Amal McCaskill off the Knicks summer team. So, it is possible that someone could snatch up either Powell or Daniels today if they wanted to.

That's what scares the living bejesus out of me. Teams have got to know about this kid with all the pub he seems to be getting.

What if the LA Clippers, who seem to be willing to lose Miller, and who needs a pg, calls up Daniels and offer him a contract and promise him playing time and in a perfect world a shot at a starting position.
What keeps him from taking that offer? What, Cuban is just going to go by Daniels word that he will give Dallas first chance to sign him. He should have learned his lesson with Mourning and his agent that word doesn't mean squat when it comes to gaurenteed money. I think Marks ego blinds him from the fact that there are other teams in this league who are also trying to improve other than his Mavs and needs to sew up a few loose ends in signing Daniels and Bell. Then wait on Powell to see if he shows enough in camp to warrant a contract.

I'm of the opinion now, that I really dont care what fa's we sign because the ones that would have made an impact on this team are long gone. So we atleast have to keep the players that they convinced to come play on the summer squad.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:32 AM   #11
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice
Default RE: Mavs vs Warriors

Taken from NBA.com

Mavs Beat Golden State to Wrap Up Summer Pro League

Long Beach, Ca.- The Dallas Mavericks finished 3-3 in Summer Pro League action as they beat the Golden State Warriors today, 115-102.

The Mavericks were led again by draft pick Josh Howard and guard Marquis Daniels. Howard scored a team-high 27 points (8-11 FGs, 9-11 FTs) and grabbed a team-high 9 rebounds, while Daniels added 24 points (9-16 FGs, 6-9 FTs). Other double figure scorers included Josh Powell with 14, Ira Clark with 11 and Mladen Sekularac, his biggest game of the Summer Pro League, with 10.

The game was close through the first quarter as Golden State hung onto a 29-26 lead, but Dallas jumped all over the Warriors in the second and third outscoring them 66-36 in those two quarters combined. Even with a huge 37-point Warrior effort in the fourth, Dallas still won by double figures.

The Mavericks outshot the Warriors 47.1%-44.7%, including a huge 51.1% mark in first half, and also won the rebounding battle (52-48). Another big advantage for Dallas was points off turnovers as they outscored Golden State 29-11 in that regard.

Art Long and Jiri Welsch each had 22 points for the Warriors, while Mike Dunleavy had 21 points and 13 rebounds.

Dallas travels to the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City next. The first game is on Friday against the Chicago Bulls at 9 p.m. CT.
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #12
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Mavs vs Warriors

good point BB. Daniels is probably an end of the roster type player for the first year for whatever team he goes too. Although if a team really wanted him they can offer him the same money the Mavs can and ask Daniels if he really wants to be the 4th point guard on the Mavs behind Nash, NVE and AJ. A team like Orlando could say all you have to do is beat our Jerryl Sasser and you could get some playing time right away and bTW you can play with your old high school teammate....Tracey McGrady. At that point it comes down to Daniels' decision and not the Mavs. if the Mavs picked Daniels with their second round pick...this issue would be mute.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #13
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs vs Warriors

Mavs Beat Golden State to Wrap Up Summer Pro League

Long Beach, Ca.- The Dallas Mavericks finished 3-3 in Summer Pro League action as they beat the Golden State Warriors today, 115-102.

The Mavericks were led again by draft pick Josh Howard and guard Marquis Daniels. Howard scored a team-high 27 points (8-11 FGs, 9-11 FTs) and grabbed a team-high 9 rebounds, while Daniels added 24 points (9-16 FGs, 6-9 FTs). Other double figure scorers included Josh Powell with 14, Ira Clark with 11 and Mladen Sekularac, his biggest game of the Summer Pro League, with 10.

The game was close through the first quarter as Golden State hung onto a 29-26 lead, but Dallas jumped all over the Warriors in the second and third outscoring them 66-36 in those two quarters combined. Even with a huge 37-point Warrior effort in the fourth, Dallas still won by double figures.

The Mavericks outshot the Warriors 47.1%-44.7%, including a huge 51.1% mark in first half, and also won the rebounding battle (52-48). Another big advantage for Dallas was points off turnovers as they outscored Golden State 29-11 in that regard.

Art Long and Jiri Welsch each had 22 points for the Warriors, while Mike Dunleavy had 21 points and 13 rebounds.

Dallas travels to the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City next. The first game is on Friday against the Chicago Bulls at 9 p.m. CT.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs vs Warriors

Daniels, 38 minutes, 9-16, 6-9, 24pts, 4rbs, 6as, 3to's, 1stl

Howard, 36 minutes, 8-11, 2-2, 9-11, 27pts, 9rbs, 2as, 5to's, 1blk, 4stls, 6 fouls

Sekularac, 23 minutes, 4-8, 1-2, 1-1, 10pts, 4rbs, 1to

Powell, 33 minutes, 6-13, 2-2, 14pts, 8rbs, 2as, 1blk, 1stl