Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all
Default Cuban says we'll be fine without JB. Will we?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/ma...jalen-brunson/

To clarify, he specified easy to make up the scoring. Given the addition of Wood, and the return of THJ, I think that's probably true, without anyone else even stepping up their game (which Dinwiddie should now do as well). Mavs likely a HIGHER scoring team now. But that's not all JB offered.

I think it will come down to how well Dinwiddie can replace JB. He has the skills for it, and he had the same type of playoff run in NY that JB had last year. Then he got hurt--ACL. Likely still working back into full playing shape after that. He showed flashes of being back during those playoffs, but pretty sporadic. Some of that likely due to JB's play. So, Dinwiddie needs to step up. He has the skills for it. He's taller and more athletic than JB. Better overall defender (although JB was a charge drawing master). Basically, JB is like the poster child of making the most of what you have...but there are players, like Dinwiddie, who have more to start with, they just need to maximize it.

Different question, but how will JB likely due in NY? The Athletic had a good article on this. JB was actually playing at a $30M/year level at the end of last year, BUT will he be able to sustain that? One factor no one is talking about is the Knicks are a vastly different team, with a vastly different playstyle, than the Mavs. The Mavs spacing created lots of room for JB to penetrate, as everyone else was out on the perimeter. That will not be the case at all in NY. Also, teams were already catching up on how to defend him during the playoffs. To his credit, he seemed to adjust to that, but teams will now all have an offseason to game plan for him. I suspect that will hinder him. Don't wish him ill will at all---he did what he thought was best for him. All good..and Mavs similarly decided the price was too steep...also all good. But there are lots of players that have great years 1 place, go to another place, and never replicate it. Similar example for Mavs...how did Barea do when he left the Mavs? Struggled. And he's someone whose size/playstyle pretty comparable to JB. Don't know that the Knicks will regret their move, but I also don't know that it will pan out as well as they think/hope. But JB has been overcoming obstacles his whole career, so maybe just another one.

This just in: Donovan Mitchell possibly heading to the Knicks.
https://theathletic.com/3422434/2022...l-knicks-jazz/

Wouldn't that be ... ironic. Back in the same spot with NYK as he was with the Mavs?

Last edited by BigDog63; 07-14-2022 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Adding content
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I honestly don't take anything Cuban say's anymore serious because dude is all over the place.

For example in that same or recent interview the dude actually called Dwight Powell a good defender.

For years fans question why Powell hasn't been traded or why he got that 11 million contract to begin with and I believe now it's because Cuban is delusional.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Oh, not worried about what Cuban did or did not say... just seemed a reasonable topic to to discuss.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

We lost an above average player in Brunson and gained an above average player in Wood.

The team will be different but I think we didn't take a step back - but we certainly didn't get better.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #5
BigDog63

Fair analysis. Given that Wood is an above average player, I think the answer to whether Mavs got better depends on Dinwiddie improving, and getting THJ back
Old 07-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think we beat either Miami or Boston had we made it past GS, but GS handed us our lunch, so I'm not sure that opinion matters.

And with the West improved, I don't think get get to the promised land with him. It's not dissimilar from Portland with Lillard and CJ. Luka/Brunson had a ceiling IMO.

A healthy Dinwiddie is essential here for any real shot at contending even with the Wood addition. Wood will rock but only if he has guards that will get him the ball. Luka for sure will, but he has to be healthy all season. Unless we get another PG, then it's all on Spencer to carry the rest of the weight.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

- JB

+ Wood, THJ, Javale

How is this a question?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm actually happy with the way the FO has handled losing Brunson. Not happy we didn't get anything in return, but Cuban isn't kicking and screaming like a petulant child about. We just made the WCF, and they are acting like it from a position of power. Maturity goes a long way.

Also some twitter rumblings that something is about to happen, but grain of salt as always from twitter land.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #9
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And I'm actually happy with the way the FO has handled losing Brunson. Not happy we didn't get anything in return, but Cuban isn't kicking and screaming like a petulant child about. We just made the WCF, and they are acting like it from a position of power. Maturity goes a long way.

Also some twitter rumblings that something is about to happen, but grain of salt as always from twitter land.

Could you give more info for those of us who aren't on Twitter? I need the copium.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

It totally benefits Cuban to take the mature route publicly....even if he did report NY for tampering behind the scenes. Why not both? Report it and complain behind closed doors to NBA and then take the high road publicly.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-21-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Could you give more info for those of us who aren't on Twitter? I need the copium.
Couple of mid "connected" people say something big is gonna happen. I always hesitate to even mention that kind of stuff, but it's late July so nothing else going on.

Problem is that big is subjective. If it's like Conley/Bojan/Beverly...that's not big. Big is like KD or Irving. Not that I'm against getting some of the Jazz guys, but people get set up for disappointment.

I do think something will happen though. They need another pg.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:26 PM   #12
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I saw something earlier, and I don?t even remember where I saw it, that said Mitchell might be moved soon. It didn?t say where though.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:36 AM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
- JB

+ Wood, THJ, Javale

How is this a question?
Imagine this as a trade
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Imagine this as a trade
Right.

If we could somehow swing Bertans and or DP for Pat Bev (and a long reach JV) from the Jazz I'd be ecstatic.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:09 PM   #15
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I saw something earlier, and I don?t even remember where I saw it, that said Mitchell might be moved soon. It didn?t say where though.
Think it was the Knicks.

Wouldn't thst be ironic.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #16
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Think it was the Knicks.

Wouldn't thst be ironic.
Definitely heard the Knicks the most, but I'd watch out for Miami. They need some offensive punch and have the defense and leadership defined already, Mitchell would be such a good pickup for them.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote