Old 12-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Rangers sign Alomar; Laird headed to minors

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....204776a8.html
05:21 AM CST on Thursday, December 9, 2004
By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers may be willing to take a chance on their younger pitchers in 2005, but they aren't willing to do the same with catcher Gerald Laird.

Gerald Laird is once again the Rangers' catcher of the future. The club made it clear Wednesday that barring an injury to another catcher, Laird will start next season in the minors. The club made its first foray into the free agency market to sign 38-year-old Sandy Alomar Jr. to a one-year deal and immediately anointed him the backup to Rod Barajas.

"I would not be surprised if at some point Gerald is with us," general manager John Hart said in a conference call. "But it's not in his or our best interests for him to be the backup catcher."

The move surprised Laird. He has been working out at the team's training facility in Arizona. As of late Wednesday afternoon, he had not been told of the acquisition or how it would affect him.

"I honestly don't know what to say," said Laird, who just turned 25. "All I know is if they give me an opportunity I'll win a job. It's a little shocking."

While Hart said he does not expect to find help for the team's pitching staff anytime soon, the Rangers could be active with other position players at this weekend's winter meetings in Anaheim, Calif.. The Rangers have had significant talks with outfielders Richard Hidalgo and Jermaine Dye. They have also explored a bigger signing: first baseman-DH Carlos Delgado.

But the first item of business was catching. Laird was the starter at the beginning of last season, but a thumb injury and Barajas' solid play have changed the scenario. Laird struggled after returning more quickly than expected from thumb surgery. Barajas ended the season as the team's every day catcher.

Hart cited continuing "medical issues" as a concern with Laird. Laird tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb in a home plate collision in May. He required surgery to reattach the ligament, but with the Rangers in the thick of the AL West race, Barajas in a slump and with no help from the minors, Laird returned after only two months. He was not the same player.

A .300 hitter before his injury, Laird had trouble gripping the bat after his return. His thumb would also swell up after catching a game and he was unable to catch on successive days. After a month of alternating between Barajas and Laird, the Rangers went back to Barajas as the regular catcher.

The club asked Laird to play winter ball, but he declined, citing a desire to get his thumb fully healthy. Following the 2003 season, injured outfielder Kevin Mench also declined the chance to play winter ball. He was not able to win back a full-time job in the outfield until the 2004 All-Star break.

Alomar, who turns 39 in June, hit .240 last year with two home runs and 14 RBIs in 146 at-bats. Laird batted .224 with a homer and 16 RBIs in 147 at-bats. The Rangers expect Alomar, who has 1,277 games of major league experience, to play about 50 or 60 games and be a mentor for the pitchers.

Alomar is familiar to Hart. Alomar played for Hart's Cleveland clubs from 1990 through 2000. He has spent most of the last four years with the Chicago White Sox.

"I think there is an opportunity to win here," Alomar said. "I saw so many good things about this team last year. They had a lot of youth and a lot of fire. They look like an organization on the move."
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Rangers sign Alomar; Laird headed to minors

Laird was the AL rookie of the month in April. I don't get it, we said goodbye to Pudge. Now we are bringing back a 36 year old catcher. Delgado at the right price would be a perfect DH. We need to address our starting rotation. I hope the Rangers can sign Carl Pavano or Eric Milton midlevel free agent pitchers. Erick Young Had a great year as a Utility man for the Rangers as well.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Sucks that the Rangers didn't even bother letting Laird know he's starting the year in Triple A, he found out from the papers. This is a puzzling move considering how well Barajas did last year and how promising Laird looked before his injury. I know he probably came back too soon &/or just never shook off the rust, I don't agree w/not even giving him a shot to earn his spot back in spring training.

I'm surprised the Rangers didn't make more of a push to resign EY. He's already signed w/San Diego, yes? If they can get him for a decent price, I hope they keep Dellucci. I just saw that they lost out on Jermaine Dye.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rangers sign Alomar; Laird headed to minors

Young is gone as well...just a one year deal for a million bucks....I didn't hear which team

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Padres sign EY. Aw. I liked him. Best wishes to him.