Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Nellie busting Fin's chops

Quote:

Defensively, Nelson lashed into Michael Finley after one spree in which Redd got loose for open jumpers.

"He's our leader and he sets a good example for us most of the time," Nelson said. "But it's not an easy job to keep mentally in tune all the time against a guy like that.
Now I really know Finley's stature has fallen. Nellie is brave enough to scold him. Seriously, its nice to see Nellie lash out to someone on the Big 3. Maybe Cuban's quotes on defense caught someone's ear.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Nellie busting Fin's chops

Remember when Fin said he was going to make sure that the Mavs kept the intensity up? It seems like Nellie is trying to keep him to his word.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Nellie busting Fin's chops

I saw it on the broadcast. It was a royal rip. Ortegal and Pinto were shocked and commented on it. It looked like Fin popped off back, Nellie said soemthing and Fin shut it down and just hung his head.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I saw it on the broadcast. It was a royal rip. Ortegal and Pinto were shocked and commented on it. It looked like Fin popped off back, Nellie said soemthing and Fin shut it down and just hung his head.
He may have hung his head on the sidelines, but he held it high out there on the court after that, and had every right to continue holding it high in the locker room. His D in the fourth was a big, big reason we got that game back under control and got the W.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Listen against Sacramento, Nellie yelled at Dirk at halfitme. Maybe he does yell at the big three except that most of the time its behind doors. Back to the screaming at Finley, Finley is at a point in his career where he needs to play shut down defense and be a scorer second.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I thought Finley played well too....I just hated seeing the open arse chewing on tv.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
I thought Finley played well too....I just hated seeing the open arse chewing on tv.
Really why? I kinda liked seeing it.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Really why? I kinda liked seeing it.
so did S2 just admit to having a major fetish here?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Doc, I know we don't like seeing it, but sometimes it may be necessary.....it may not have been worth(to Nellie) spending a TO on.....I do not enjoy seeing our captian getting publicly corrected in such fashion though.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

At least it worked. Fin certainly didn't led Redd beat us after that...and that was a major reason why we won that game.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: MikeB
At least it worked. Fin certainly didn't led Redd beat us after that...and that was a major reason why we won that game.
ture, but pragmatic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2004, 06:07 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was out of town watching this and wondering what folks were saying about it. I was glad to see nelson getting in finley's face about....
DEFENSE...

Nellie is not nearly the idiot that many make him out to be and I think he rags everyone pretty good both behind closed doors as well as in the open.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind Nelson yelling at any player in front of cameras if it's just. It sounds like it was with Finley because he kept Redd in check every quarter but the 3rd. And that's when the Bucks made their run.

Time will tell if we see Nelson call out others for slacking off defensively like he did with Finley.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:32 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't mind Nelson yelling at any player in front of cameras if it's just. It sounds like it was with Finley because he kept Redd in check every quarter but the 3rd. And that's when the Bucks made their run.

Time will tell if we see Nelson call out others for slacking off defensively like he did with Finley.
I don't mind Nellie busting any player's chops. That is what a coach is supposed to do. After a play the coach should yell at the player: "You screwed the pooch on that one! Now ghet your head out of your @ss and do what you're supposed to do!" Finley took whatever words Nellie said to heart because he busted his tail defending Redd from then on. The coach can't just let it go even if the player is a star. But the coach doesn't need to bench a player over a boneheaded play either. And that is the unevenness that Nellie displays time and time again. If Bradley had made that mental error... Bradley wouldn't have got a second chance. He would've been benched for the rest of the game.

This isn't grade school... players don't need to be benched. They need to know you have the confidence to let them even if they screw the pooch sometimes.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #15
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:

I don't mind Nellie busting any player's chops. That is what a coach is supposed to do. After a play the coach should yell at the player: "You screwed the pooch on that one! Now ghet your head out of your @ss and do what you're supposed to do!" Finley took whatever words Nellie said to heart because he busted his tail defending Redd from then on. The coach can't just let it go even if the player is a star. But the coach doesn't need to bench a player over a boneheaded play either. And that is the unevenness that Nellie displays time and time again. If Bradley had made that mental error... Bradley wouldn't have got a second chance. He would've been benched for the rest of the game.

This isn't grade school... players don't need to be benched. They need to know you have the confidence to let them even if they screw the pooch sometimes.
I agree completely with Nellie's "unfairness" sometimes. Even Raef was a victim of it sometimes. Most of the time, it would be the guards who would let their man thru and the center would be left defending two people.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:55 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

I have no problem whatsoever with Nellie bitching at Finley...but it could have been done in the huddle.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:20 AM   #17
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Could you describe the incident a bit more Dr. Bio? (I was unable to see the game)
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:

Bayliss,,, maybe nellie has tried that with bradley and he doesn't respond? Possibly he knows that bradley needs to be sat versus talked to. I wish someone who knew bradley better would report what his pshyche(sp) is. He's such an enigma and always has been.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Could you describe the incident a bit more Dr. Bio? (I was unable to see the game)
Redirk...It happened after a timeout(not sure whether it was dallas's or not). But nellie and fin were going at it pretty good while fin was coming to the bench. I think fin barked back a little bit, but nellie didn't back down and on the bench fin was sort of hanging his head. I assume he was chastising himself a little, but that's hard to say. About it.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...but it could have been done in the huddle.
Every time I've seen Nelson yelling at a player it was while they were coming to the bench. It doesn't matter if the player was pulled or because of a timeout, Nelson is out there yelling at them while they're walking in.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

That is a fault of Nellie then.