Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #81
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas Mavericks vs. New Jersey Nets Gameday Thread

They wanted to see him get the milestone is all. Especially since they could say: "I was there!"
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #82
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE:Dallas Mavericks vs. New Jersey Nets Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Why did the crowd boo when Dirk went out rather than give him a cheer for his effort tonight? Oh well I guess i've seen worser from other teams fans.
They probably wanted to see him score his 10.000 point

I think it's safe to say that he made the difference today in this 4th quarter spurt

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #83
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'm thinking about going to the next game now to see Dirk hit 10,000 pts.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #84
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
SA is losing to Houston with a minute left.
61 pts so far?

that must be an ugly game...

Old 01-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #85
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I mean I know why but they shouldn't have booed. It's not a big deal though but it took heart coming back from that injury and playing like Dirk did this game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #86
JMaassacre

JMaassacre is on a distinguished road

^ I don't think they were Booing Dirk. That would be stupid. They were just booing the fact that he was getting pulled out. It was a boo from the heart because they wanted to see him succeed.
JMaassacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #87
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Wow these back to backs are killer aren't they? Spurs have 62 in the fourth.

1996-2005
Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #88
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: JMaassacre
^ I don't think they were Booing Dirk. That would be stupid. They were just booing the fact that he was getting pulled out. It was a boo from the heart because they wanted to see him succeed.
No I know they weren't booing Dirk. Like Bayliss said, they just wanted to say they were there but I don't know I guess I just didn't expect it. I guess it was a cheerful boo if anything. It wasn't as loud as the ones that were in that were at the Colts game when Peyton downed the ball to run the clock.

1996-2005
Old 01-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #89
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Has FoxSW been showing the Rockets-Spurs game tonight or did it just show the end of the game?

1996-2005
Old 01-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #90
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice W by both the Mavs and Rockets!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #91
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs win 98-93:

Finley (44) 6-17, 2-5, 2-2, 16pts, 5rbs, 3as, 4tos, 2stls

Dirk (41) 8-16, 0-1, 10-10, 26pts, 12rbs, 3as, 1to, 1stl, 2blks

Dampier (30) 4-7, 2-4, 10pts, 11rbs, 3tos, 2blks

Terry (29) 4-10, 2-5, 5-5, 15pts, 5rbs, 5as, 1to, 1stl

Stackhouse (44) 5-16, 3-7, 7-8, 20pts, 10rbs, 1as, 3tos, 2stls

Harris (10) 1-3, 0-1, 2pts, 1rb, 1as, 2tos

Henderson (21) 1-4, 2pts, 6rbs, 1to

Bradley (7) 1-1, 2pts

Booth (5) 0-3, 1rb, 1blk

Armstrong (9) 1-2, 1-1, 2-2, 5pts, 2rbs, 3as, 1to
Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #92
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Stack shouldn't get too comfortable with that many minutes, but quite a game for him tonight.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #93
Platinum Member

If you would go with the efficieny ranking, Terry had a better game than Kidd with his tripledouble! Terry19 - Kidd 18
And Stack's ranking is the same as Carter's. 18-18
Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #94
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

does anyone agree with me that stackhouse takes waaaay too many shots? i mean obviously he hits on a few, but he's not consistent enough to take the amount of shots he does. he's especially bad about trying to drive and gets his shots blocked or he can't finish when he's fouled. oh yeah, and why the hell does booth feel the need to shoot everytime he touches the ball?
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #95
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bgantz
does anyone agree with me that stackhouse takes waaaay too many shots? i mean obviously he hits on a few, but he's not consistent enough to take the amount of shots he does. he's especially bad about trying to drive and gets his shots blocked or he can't finish when he's fouled. oh yeah, and why the hell does booth feel the need to shoot everytime he touches the ball?

That's Nellie's doing. I think he gives the players the green light so they won't feel tenative to shoot a jumper because usually that results in a miss. But he needs to give some of these guys the red or the yellow light because some of these players get wayyyy to carried away. Like when you see Harris come into the game it's like he's trying his best to get a jumper up there. That's Nellie giving him the green light to shoot if open. Stacks field goal percentages look so bad because he gets blocked alot driving to the rack. I wonder why the refs stopped giving him foul calls when he drives to the rack? I've never seen a player who has hangtime but doesn't get up off the ground very high.

1996-2005
Old 01-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #96
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack's lack of intelligence and selfishness at times is absolutely sickening. Yes, he can be a great asset, but too often he's jacking up bad shots when he needs to be dishing the ball to someone that can actually shoot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #97
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Atleast Stackhouse had more points than shot attempts.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #98
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Kidd got his triple double and Stack got his double double.

The Mavs had 3 players with double doubles.
It just shows how overrated the triple-double can be. I barely noticed the guy doing much positive on the court, but he snuck out with a triple double. Bottom line, I don't even think he had a very good game.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:41 AM   #99
twelli
Diamond Member

"I could feel right away it wasn't that bad,'' said Nowitzki. ``I came down a little awkward and walked it off. We took X-rays to see what the bone spurs were doing in there and that they were having fun. I got it re-taped, went back out there. It didn't feel great but I've got a nice day off (Sunday).''

I would love to be his teammate, just to be in the locker room when he cracks his next joke...

Old 01-16-2005, 12:42 AM   #100
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Stackhouse reminds me of the scene in Dumb and Dumber where Harry looks at Lloyd and says: "Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

For a minute he does something stupid. Then the next minute he passes it to Fin for a layup (like last night) or to Dirk for a dunk (against Houston).
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #101
bgantz

stackhouse also reminds me of the guy who feels like he needs to "take over the game" but he just forces everything and get the ball stolen. i also agree that at times you really dig his game, but most of the time i'm just like.....geez that's the best shot you could come up with. i think he's like walker a lot in the fact that they both think they have more game than they really have. sometimes he just needs to try to work the offense for the best shot possible, not for him to take control of the game.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #102
twelli
Diamond Member

As long as he reminds himself that he's just the third scoring option behind Dirk and Fin and alongside Josh, Terry, and Daniels I have no problem with Stackhouse

I'd rather have him shoot a jumper than Booth

Old 01-16-2005, 01:11 AM   #103
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think Josh is establishing himself as the third option.

Stackhouse needs to be a more consistent scorer.... well less annoying at least.... to be that important offensively to the team.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #104
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs down the Nets, 98-93

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki had another ankle moment in the first half Saturday night, but this one wasn't like some of his other scares.

Hardly anybody noticed when he gingerly left the court to have X-rays, which showed no damage except for that which Nowitzki would inflict on the New Jersey Nets after halftime.

"He could go out there on two broken ankles and still shoot the ball," said Jerry Stackhouse.

Nowitzki scored 16 of his 26 points after the break while walking on eggshells as the Mavericks snapped a two-game losing streak with a 98-93 victory over the Nets at American Airlines Center. To say the least, the game lacked artistry as the teams struggled to score for three quarters before a free throw contest broke out.

The only thing Nowitzki didn't do was please the fans at the end. He finished the game with 9,998 points for his career. His first basket Tuesday against Washington will make him the fifth Maverick in franchise history to reach 10,000.

Don Nelson took Nowitzki out in the final minutes, a move that was met by some boos.

"I didn't even know if he'd be able to go in the second half," Nelson said. "I know the fans wanted him to get to 10,000. But I didn't want him risking further injury."

Said Nowitzki: "I had no idea about the milestone. I thought, 'Why are they booing me?' "

The Mavericks survived the Nets with balance. Stackhouse had 20 points and 10 rebounds, and Michael Finley and Jason Terry sparked an 18-3 blitz in the middle of the fourth that turned a one-point deficit into an 85-71 lead.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:40 AM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: twelli
As long as he reminds himself that he's just the third scoring option behind Dirk and Fin and alongside Josh, Terry, and Daniels I have no problem with Stackhouse

I'd rather have him shoot a jumper than Booth
Booth sure the hell feels the need to fire the ball up when he gets in the game. Damn, you'd think someone had told him to look for his shot.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:04 AM   #106
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Stack just needs to play up to his abilities. He should be a consistant 18 to 22 point a night guy off the bench, much like Jamison was last year, except more of a crunch time go to guy who knows how to get to the line. All those blocked shots in San Antonio may have looked horrible, but he was AT THE RIM, and we need more, not less of that. If a couple of those fouls had been called, Mavs would have won that game. He is clearly a gifted passer who knows how to pass out of the double team.

Sure its annoying when he misses. Its annoying when Dirk misses too. But I think Stack has been a good addition who will get better, a Godsend with the twins missing so many games. And to think he was just a salary throw in to get the Devin Harris pick. You go , Donny Boy.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #107
bgantz

it's like, cal booth gets the ball, panics.....and then looks to see if there is a defender within 3 feet of him, if not then he slings a brick.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:11 AM   #108
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>does anyone agree with me that stackhouse takes waaaay too many shots? i mean obviously he hits on a few, but he's not consistent enough to take the amount of shots he does. he's especially bad about trying to drive and gets his shots blocked or he can't finish when he's fouled. oh yeah, and why the hell does booth feel the need to shoot everytime he touches the ball?

Yes and I agree with murphy as well. Stack needs to pass first, then shoot, if wide open.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #109
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Stack's got his limitations but given our injury situation, I think we're just fortunate to have him. He's very good at both creating his own shot or getting to the line and more importantly he's got the same swagger as NVE. Yes, sometimes he does get carried away and ends up making foolish plays or take stupid shots. Still, I think, he'd be a great asset come playoff time. His experience and talent can only help us as we give him more time on court.

Ideally, if Fin's shot is ON, then Stack should be the 3rd option and if not, he should be the second. Josh & Damp need to focus on defense & rebounding while getting their points off putbacks. Terry should focus on passing, on-the-ball defense, and then take open jumpers.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #110
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Stack seems to fit into the system pretty well now. When Mavs needs him to step up, he did. He has the mentality of NVE. Stack can drive him and shoot 3pt if he is hot.

At least Stack doesn't complain much about being the 6th man.

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #111
bgantz

i also would like to think that stack could be a great asset during the playoffs, but i also fear that he could be a detriment. he's the guy who takes a bad shot when you badly need a bucket. i could see us being matched up in the first round with the kings, and badly needing a basket to stop the bleeding or end a kings run...and instead of getting a good shot, stack would try to create and force something and make things worse. we will see though. he's had nice games, but i find myself getting more discouraged with him than encouraged. i'm glad he accepts his role though.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Stack has a lot of skills that we need. He has the width and strength to box out well, he can take over offensively sometimes and he can on occasion open lanes favorable for dishing.

He just needs to know that every shot isnt a do-or-die and our ball movement has to get better because I've seen posessions where we get shut down on 3 drives so he gets it, passes it out, the ball stays stagnant and comes back to him where he shoots a piss-poor shot.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote