Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default League admits mistake, Howard loses 8 pounds

Notebook: Gimpy Dampier fills gap in middle for Mavs

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Erick Dampier spent the second half of the Mavericks' 98-93 victory over New Jersey on Saturday splitting time. When he wasn't dragging his aching left leg around the court, he was doing his best Lance Armstrong impersonation on a stationary bike in a corner of American Airlines Center.

And yet, the 6-11 center managed 11 rebounds to go with 10 points in 30 much-needed minutes on a night when many Mavericks were fatigued, ill or injured.

"I thought he was pretty good on one leg," coach Don Nelson said.

Dampier, who bumped knees with an Indiana Pacer a week ago, was part of a strong rebounding corps for the Mavericks, who had three players with 10 or more boards, including Jerry Stackhouse (10).

"It was either good board work or a lot of missed shots, one or the other," Stackhouse said.

Indeed, there were plenty of misfires as the Mavericks shot just 39.2 percent. The Nets weren't much better at 41.5 percent.

"They're not a very good offensive team," Nelson said of the Nets. "They struggle to score. It was a good one to get over because we were running out of bodies."

Howard on the mend:

Josh Howard touched a basketball Saturday for the first time after a week in which his head felt like it was the size of a basketball.

"He lost eight pounds," Mark Cuban said, "which is about 40 percent of his body mass."

Howard isn't quite that thin, but he's somewhat lighter because of the sinus and respiratory infection he has had.

"My head felt twice its size," said Howard, who could practice today and may be available Tuesday against Washington.

Shawn Bradley was nursing a bruised left thigh after getting kneed in Friday's game at San Antonio. Bradley played sparingly Saturday, grimacing often.

League admits mistake:

Mark Cuban called the NBA office, and a league representative said Tim Duncan was guilty of goaltending in the final moments of Friday's 98-95 loss at San Antonio. Duncan touched the ball while it was still in the basket after Bruce Bowen 's layup.

Cuban said the play was another indication that instant replay should be a viable option.

"I would love it," Cuban said. "My whole goal is just to get it right."

The instant-replay issue has not received much support in league meetings. Most coaches prefer the current rule, which allows only for review at the end of a quarter.

Stop the Vin-sanity:

Vince Carter made headlines after joining the Nets by saying he played less than 100 percent at times when he was in Toronto. Carter was good for a game-high 29 points in 45 minutes Saturday.

A few other players have since made similar comments.

"He's responsible for his comments," Mavs coach Don Nelson said. "For every player, there are games when they don't have it or they aren't 100 percent or don't play 100 percent all the time and turn it up in the fourth quarter.

"I respect his honesty," Nelson added. "But you probably want to keep those thoughts to yourself, don't you think?"

Briefly:

New Jersey's Jason Kidd had the 61st triple-double of his career (10 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists). ... The Mavericks have won 10 consecutive games against the Nets, sweeping the season series the last five years. ... All the Mavericks starters scored in double figures, the second time that has happened this season.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE:League admits mistake, Howard loses 8 pounds

And I thought, 'what the heck did the league do to poor Josh, now'....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: League admits mistake, Howard loses 8 pounds

I knew that was goaltending by Duncan. That game should have gone in to overtime if not for that horrible call. And to think people on Spursreport.com adamently claimed it wasn't goal tending.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: twelli
And I thought, 'what the heck did the league do to poor Josh, now'....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE: League admits mistake, Howard loses 8 pounds

Hmmm, am I the only one who has some second thoughts about Carters article? I mean, I care more about Vince making a quick foul late to be able to drain a buzzer beater three at the end of the game to make to send the game ... uh, wait, they still lost by 5, than about him admitting that he was not always 100 percent when with Toronto.

We all know that there´s times when athletes can´t or don´t want to go all the way, but if you´re in a "bad situation" i can see a point in that. Now that action late in the game last night showed far more that Carter was all for himself and his statsline imho.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavericks Notes
Cuban disputes non-call

By Mercedes Mayer
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was unhappy with what he called obvious goaltending by San Antonio's Tim Duncan that was ignored in the waning seconds of Friday's game. So Cuban did what comes natural to him.

"I called the league, and they said it was a goaltending," he said Saturday. "But it doesn't help us."

Cuban said he would love for referees to be able to review plays such as the one by Duncan, which had an effect on the game's outcome, a 98-95 Spurs victory. The NBA permits the use of instant replay only when a shot is made as time expires in a quarter.

"My goal is to always get it right," Cuban said. "The ref's supposed to have the ultimate discretion in everything.

"If they aren't sure, stop play and look. I know the refs want to get it right, so it's not like they want to get it wrong."

Mavs coach Don Nelson is on the opposite side of the argument.

"I like [instant replay] at the end of the quarter; I think that's nice," Nelson said. "You have time. Otherwise, you'd be stopping the [game] all the time.

"It's hard to legislate against judgment."

Cuban said he always brings up cases such as the Duncan no-call during the NBA Board of Governors meeting, without success.

Cuban also said the league told him Saturday that a first-half charging foul against Dirk Nowitzki was a bad call.

Howard feeling better

Josh Howard, who is recuperating from an upper-respiratory and sinus infection, returned to the Mavs' locker room for the first time in several days.

Howard, who lost eight pounds and missed three games, might play Tuesday against Washington.

"He is shooting around, and he'll shoot [today]," coach Don Nelson said. "Maybe we'll get him the next game."

Howard said he mostly stayed in bed the past few days, but he shot a little Saturday and could tell he had lost something.

"I just get winded quicker than what I used to do," Howard said. "I'm going to take it one day at a time to see how my wind gets, that's about all I can do right now."

Daniels makes progress

Marquis Daniels, who was placed on the injured list Friday and will miss at least the next three games, said his sore left ankle is slowly progressing.

"You've got to crawl before you walk," Daniels said.

The second-year guard ran two miles on the treadmill before the Mavs' game with New Jersey, the most exercise he's had on the ankle in quite awhile.

Daniels said after the workout that he will see how the ankle responds today, but said he was not feeling any pain.

Stackhouse solid

Coach Don Nelson said he thought guard Jerry Stackhouse played well in his first start of the season Friday at San Antonio. Stackhouse scored 17 points and logged the most minutes (46) he's played this season.

"I think he got a little tired playing 45 minutes or something, but there wasn't anything we could do about it," Nelson said.

Stackhouse also started against the Nets, scoring 20 points in 44 minutes.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Mavericks Notes
Cuban disputes non-call

By Mercedes Mayer
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was unhappy with what he called obvious goaltending by San Antonio's Tim Duncan that was ignored in the waning seconds of Friday's game. So Cuban did what comes natural to him.

"I called the league, and they said it was a goaltending," he said Saturday. "But it doesn't help us."

Cuban said he would love for referees to be able to review plays such as the one by Duncan, which had an effect on the game's outcome, a 98-95 Spurs victory. The NBA permits the use of instant replay only when a shot is made as time expires in a quarter.

"My goal is to always get it right," Cuban said. "The ref's supposed to have the ultimate discretion in everything.

"If they aren't sure, stop play and look. I know the refs want to get it right, so it's not like they want to get it wrong."

Mavs coach Don Nelson is on the opposite side of the argument.

"I like [instant replay] at the end of the quarter; I think that's nice," Nelson said. "You have time. Otherwise, you'd be stopping the [game] all the time.

"It's hard to legislate against judgment."

Cuban said he always brings up cases such as the Duncan no-call during the NBA Board of Governors meeting, without success.

Cuban also said the league told him Saturday that a first-half charging foul against Dirk Nowitzki was a bad call.
The league should:

1) Identify the members of the officiating team who missed the call.

2) Assign primary responsibility for who should've made the call

3) Assess penalty points for all officiating team members, with additional penalty for the primary official.

4) Publicize, publicize, publicize. Bad officials should get bad publicity, and should be remanded to the minor leagues for additional training.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

the division title better not come down to one game
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Seeeeeee, I knew it, I fukking knew it!! Duncan touched the ball. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That 2pt could have been a BIG difference!!!

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Sigh... that game is probably one of Dirk's best performances, both defensively and offensively. Dirk owned Duncan in that game. He is the one that stands out... sigh.

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"He lost eight pounds," Mark Cuban said, "which is about 40 percent of his body mass."
lol

Poor Howard, though. That's one heck of an illness that got him.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote