Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #41
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dampier - 73 million, Devin Harris...

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
"Why does Dampier have to be evaulated by his numbers? This isn't fantasy basketball. "

Apparently the guy you are talking with doesnt understand real hoops. It is not a bunch of stats added together, and a bunch of +/- numbers, and a bunch of "per-48 mins" calculations, and the like. Little things sometimes are more important than big things. The effect you have on others can be huge but almost immeasurable. The things you mention are crucial. And how about this one: "do you take the pounding, where a player like Dirk is freed up to run and score and board? What number covers that?"

The thing I notice is that the Mavs arent that "soft in the middle" team any more. Unless Dampier is hurt, that is, and then they look a lot like last year. That tells me eloquently just how valuable he is. Benga, Pavel, and Booth arent even in the same ballpark - but then again, the guy who touts them as the better answer to the Mavs needs at center also thinks that Najera and Laettner were extremely valuable players. Good grief. Such worthless analysis tells me why he doesnt see the value of Damp, who IS incredibly valuable. He just doesnt know how hoops.

Does Damp also toss up those glittery stats? Nope. And who cares (other than some fantasy geek-a-zoid). The Mavs finally have a center who makes a difference.

Analysis without statistical support is subjective nonsense. When making an argument, it is preferable to support your position with factual evidence, not opinion and heresay. Why should I value your subjective analysis over what I personally can see on the court AND what I can see statitically supported? If you are really trying to convince someone that this guy is worth something more than a mid level salary, you need to prove to me that the guy is more than what he appears to be.. and crap statements that amount to "He's good and you are stupid and don't know hoops because I said so" don't fly in my book. Your arguments thus far have been unsupported and worthless. And for every "who takes the pounding?" question, I can counter with "who clogs up the lane for cutters and slashers" retort. Basically it all boils down to how well the team plays when a certain player is on the court.

Because of that, you can argue that a player's value should be measured by something other than simple points and rebounds.. and in the case of Dampier they BETTER, becuase his stats aren't that good. What's harder to do is to argue against the plus minus differential, which is a comparison of the team's production when a player is on the court versus when he's off. In my mind, that's the best measure of a player.. especially to measure someone deemed to be a complementary player, which is what appears to be the fasionable method to explain away Dampier's mediocre numbers.

However, in this case, those statistics plainly show that Dampier flat out fails to help this team. In fact, they show that he hurts it on average. Now I'll admit that Dampier's had a stretch of two better-than-average games during which his team played better with him than without him. But those two games were preceded by a greater number of games in which the team played better when he was on the bench. When aggregated, the result is negative. On average the Mavericks are better off with Dampier on the bench than they are with him in the game. That is an objective FACT that you can't argue with. You also can't argue with the objective fact that even last year, a year that appears on the surface so uncharacteristically good for Dampier in respect to his career averages that it borders on unbeleivable, he failed to help his team. Once again, the FACT is that the Warriors played better without Dampier than they did with him. What we're seeing this year out of Dampier isn't just a guy trying to fit into a new team.. it's an eight year veteran doing what he's done his entire career... which is not much.

Ignoring such overwhelming statistical evidence of Dampier's minimal value is indicative of a person with extreme bias. Now I know that this is a fan site and as such all of it's members are required to toe the company line and proclaim that every one of our players is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But eventually optimism must succumb to realism. Consider me the voice of reason. We've had better centers than Dampier on this team during the last five years. Some of them are still on the roster. Dampier is NOT our savior. He's our curse. We'd be better off if Cuban, when presented with the opportunity of a trade with Golden State, would have dismissed Dampier as nothing more than a "walking turd" (which by the way he did indirectly at times prior to trading for him).
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #42
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

madape your one post shy of giving bradley a bj, jesus man give it up
Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Although just watching, I still don't see the Booth fit now. How do you think this team would do with Booth gone, and his minutes going to Bradley and Benga?
They'd probably be fine, assuming that Bradley actually played some.

I don't think Benga should be in the discussion for this year. I'd like to see him get SOME playing time to get his feet wet, but watching him makes it clear that he's still at least a year away from being a rotation player.

Quote:
Right now, if Nelson would learn how to play Bradley 12-20 min a night, with Damp getting close to 30, and Benga getting the rest, I think they would be better off.
My preference would be to play Dampier 30-33 minutes per game and play Shawn 15-18 minutes per game as the backup. That said, I can see the value of having Booth available to rotate with Shawn at the backup slot, because Booth is more agile than Shawn and matches up better with certain players than Shawn does.

Quote:
I still think Nelson should quit dreaming of Dirk being his center, and keep him away from there. IMO, Dirk has played way to much center already this year, and any time Henderson is in, then Dirk is the Center. I don't mind the Dirk, Henderson, Damp/Bradley lineup, but the Howard, Henderson, Dirk lineup needs to be forgotten about.
Been debating this over at LMF some. Dirk should not be the last line of defense, which he is when Henderson is in the game with him. I don't have a problem with *occasional* use of Dirk at center, especially if we went to a pressing, trapping lineup with Howard at PF. But that should only happen as a "changeup pitch", not for an extended period of time. When you play that way for too long, it gets exposed.

Also, saying that it's okay to *occasionally* play Dirk at center is like saying it's okay for an alcoholic to *occasionally* take a drink. Both are too tempting to the alcoholic.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #44
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
.. sorry, the line to suck off Dampier was too long.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #45
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Booth is primarily a backup for Dirk. I can see Damp and Booth playing simultaneously. Booth is a better C than a PF, but with Damp and Bradley on contract, there really isnt a reason to have him playing center.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #46
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
I laughed out loud when I read that one.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #47
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Booth is primarily a backup for Dirk. I can see Damp and Booth playing simultaneously. Booth is a better C than a PF, but with Damp and Bradley on contract, there really isnt a reason to have him playing center.
EL, I agree. But Henderson is getting the backup PF minutes. That leaves Booth getting strange minutes with strange lineups, that can't defend nor play offense w/o Dirk or Fin.

I have just seen some strange lineups with Dirk on the bench, where Booth has come in, and the offense is gone, and the defense is gone, and I am left scratching my head as to what position Nellie is trying to put him in. I know Cal isn't Dirk, but Nellie really needs to put him in a position to succeed, and I haven't seen that yet.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Quote:
I laughed out loud when I read that one.
I cringed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #49
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
On average the Mavericks are better off with Dampier on the bench than they are with him in the game. That is an objective FACT that you can't argue with.
It's pretty early to be touting +/- stats, especially with the injuries the team has had. Nonetheless, even if you want to look at +/- stats, I can look at them and see that all of the most commonly used 5-man units the Mavericks have which include Dampier have a positive +/- number.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #50
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I laughed and almost fell off my chair at this one. Line of the week.

MAD - You ask what sort of analysis I use. I suspect it doesnt matter what I offer - because you pretty much ignore the ones others have given. But my analysis is not based on blind ostrich-like fandom, regardless of how you want to say otherwise.

Here are the things I see ...
1. I see the defense, and the defensive stats this year. Opp FG% and 3-Pt %. And even without looking at the stats, the difference is noticeable. I see other teams who cant drive the lane and perform the layup drill like in prior years. Opp's pts on layups and dunks is halved.
2. I see the difference in the defense when Damp is in the lineup, and not. The games where he was out were almost identical, in look and stats, to last year. He returns, and it swings back again. It is noticed easily.
3. You say that he made no difference in GS, but I dont agree. The GS fans definitely bash him, but his loss is the main difference in that team - they have in essence even more talent at other positions - and they have sunk way down. Some of the more hardcore GS fans that I have talked with are already beginning to reassesss and say "wow, maybe we were way wrong" re the value of Dampier. The GS fans bashed him for what he didnt do, and lost sight of what he did well. His stat line looks pedestrian at times, but he impacts a game in a significant way.

You can sit and focus on games where the stats arent as good, or whatever. He is like all players, some games will be better than others. But he has already made a huge difference in the whole fabric of this team, and they are much better for it. They are now able to win games with their defense.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dampier - 73 million, Devin Harris...

Quote:
It's pretty early to be touting +/- stats
its at least too early to use them in argumentation to make definitive and absolute statements about a certain player...
Remember that a few of those games Damp was struggling with a hip injury. The +/- does not take that into account, but any reasonable fan will.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #52
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Quote:
On average the Mavericks are better off with Dampier on the bench than they are with him in the game. That is an objective FACT that you can't argue with.
It's pretty early to be touting +/- stats, especially with the injuries the team has had. Nonetheless, even if you want to look at +/- stats, I can look at them and see that all of the most commonly used 5-man units the Mavericks have which include Dampier have a positive +/- number.

No. No. That not true! That's impossible!!!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #53
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Quote:

No. No. That not true! That's impossible!!!

Genius.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #54
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are now able to win games with their defense.
I was with you until this point. They still better have a better than average offense or they still lose. In fact, they have lost several games recently when they allowed less than 100 pts, but couldn't put points on the board.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #55
sike
The Preacha

since this is the most recent thread with Shawn Bradley implications, I thought it might be interesting to see what other centers around the league think of Shawn...

Quote:
The 6-foot-10 Jackson, who played at Roman Catholic High and Temple University, has shown a warrior mentality in challenging other centers, most bigger than he is.
"If I get the ball near the basket, I'm going right up with it," he said. "I don't care if it's Shawn Bradley or Wilt Chamberlain - that's my game."
I read this as Marc Jackson saying he'll battle the weak and the powerful alike....just one more player giving Shawn no respect.

here

Old 11-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #56
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Raef, whom Madape thought so highly of early in the season to devote a thread to him here, has a +/- of -13.2, which is worse than Dampier. And the incredibly overpaid Dampier makes $2M less than Raef does this year.

I used to think the Madape Bradley obsession was a bit. And then I realized he was serious. Now, I am again begining to wonder if it is a bit.

It would be funny if it weren't so predictable. No, wait. It is still funny.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:26 PM   #57
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
since this is the most recent thread with Shawn Bradley implications, I thought it might be interesting to see what other centers around the league think of Shawn...

Quote:
The 6-foot-10 Jackson, who played at Roman Catholic High and Temple University, has shown a warrior mentality in challenging other centers, most bigger than he is.
"If I get the ball near the basket, I'm going right up with it," he said. "I don't care if it's Shawn Bradley or Wilt Chamberlain - that's my game."
I read this as Marc Jackson saying he'll battle the weak and the powerful alike....just one more player giving Shawn no respect.

here
Oddly, to ME this sounds like he's EQUATING Mantis and Dipper. Oddly indeed.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #58
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
And you can spin the Nash bafoonery all you want, but it's arguable that right now he's the best point guard in the NBA. I don't doubt for a second that the guy will be busting people up well into his late thirties. He's going to earn every last dime of that contract, and he'll go into the Hall of Fame wearing his Phoenix Sun Jersey. When he retires, columns will be written about Cuban's decision to let him go, and they will be far from complementary.
Nash has played a LOT better than I expected in Phoenix. But how much of that is the fact that he felt "disrespected" by Cuban's opinion that Nash wouldn't hold up?

I know for a fact that when Nash played here he didn't have the muscle tone that he has now. In one of the interviews Nash said he started working out to prove his detractors (Cuban) wrong. Would Nash have put the same effort into building his body into a better NBA body if he had stayed here? Somehow I doubt it.
I think the nash situation has more to do with the system there being even more open than it was in dallas...in dallas it was pick and roll and find dirk on the mismatch

in phoenix, it is run run run..with amare and marion on the wings..and obviously all the players with their athleticism and nash's passing ability are thriving..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #59
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:

Quote:

here
I know it can be interpreted that way...but I find that hard to believe...I think it is meant to say: "I don't care the level of competition, I play my game my way!"
it is open for debate though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #60
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein

3. You say that he made no difference in GS, but I dont agree. The GS fans definitely bash him, but his loss is the main difference in that team - they have in essence even more talent at other positions - and they have sunk way down. Some of the more hardcore GS fans that I have talked with are already beginning to reassesss and say "wow, maybe we were way wrong" re the value of Dampier. The GS fans bashed him for what he didnt do, and lost sight of what he did well. His stat line looks pedestrian at times, but he impacts a game in a significant way.
This is a salient observation, and one that deserves closer study. Granted the season is still a pup, but here are some comparisons between this year's Warriors bunch and last year's:

This year they are getting outrebounded 43.3 to 47.8.
Last year they outrebounded opponents 43.1 to 42.8.

This year they are allowing opponents a 45.9 FG percentage and converting at 39.0% themselves.
Last year they allowed opponents a 44.5 FG percentage and converted at 44.2% themselves.

This year they are scoring 88.2 points per game and allowing 95.6 points.
Last year they scored 93.3 points per game and allowed 94.0.

This year through 13 games they are 3-10.
Last year through 13 games they were 6-7.

Adonal Foyle, whom the Warriors lavished money upon--and who, to hear him tell it, was coveted by countless other teams--is not enjoying any improvement over last year, despite being free from the Big Dump's shadow.

Interesting comparison indeed.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #61
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should have to pay to read chumdawg's posts. Nice job chum!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:43 AM   #62
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Raef, whom Madape thought so highly of early in the season to devote a thread to him here, has a +/- of -13.2, which is worse than Dampier. And the incredibly overpaid Dampier makes $2M less than Raef does this year.

I used to think the Madape Bradley obsession was a bit. And then I realized he was serious. Now, I am again begining to wonder if it is a bit.

I know we aren't talking about devin but his +/- is -14.2...

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:30 AM   #63
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>mad ape wrote:
>"8.9 points..... 2 first round draft picks
7.2 rebounds.... the rights to Eduardo Najera and Christian Laettner
Cap crippling 7 year contract....$73 million bucks

>Milking a bonehead owner dry while putting up Raef LaFrenz like numbers.... WORTHLESS "

If dampier starts putting up better numbers on defense and gets easier baskets, i'll say it was worth it. However I don't think he's lived up to his g.s. potential thus far. And quite honestly he seems cold and out of it, at times. Maybe he's just a bit bewildered being on a new team? Or perhaps there's too much pressure?

He DOES need to step it up so he dosen't have lafrentz type numbers.

We need more from him.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #64
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

"quite honestly he seems cold and out of it, at times"

This and comments like it get tossed in at times. And it is likely part of what may drive the anti-Damp people - he often doesnt look like he is involved.

I agree that he SEEMS this way, but I think it is a wrong conclusion. I just think that is his nature - he is quiet, almost shy, very internal. He gives the appearance of being lost in another world - but he isnt.

On the court, it comes off as lack of intensity. But I really believe it is all an unintentional mask, that arises out of his natural demeanor. He is just "going about his business" and people get the wrong idea of what is going on in his head.
So people comment that he is cold, he is out of it, he isnt trying, and so on. I can see why GS fans ragged on him that he is lazy, etc - but his work ethic is incredible according to his teammates and coaches, so the fans are getting a wrong impression somewhere.

I think it is from his demeanor. When you play low post, you are out of the offensive flow at times, waiting for things to develop. You can do very little (other than stand there) in many sets when you are on the off side from the ball. You come down the floor, a side is cleared out for Dirk or Stack or whoever, they take a shot, and you dont have a shot at a rebound, and it looks like you are doing nothing. Put that alongside his demeanor, and it is easy to see why some would think "he doesnt try hard."
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #65
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Actually, now that Wilt's been dead awhile I think the Mantis is easily his equal.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #66
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:

You are correct, sir.

In at least one area... LaFrenz's contract was/is one of the single worst in the history of the NBA. Using it as a yardstick to imply that another contract isn't bad is like trying to say your sister is pretty by comparing her to Popeye Jones.

mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #67
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Quote:
Actually, now that Wilt's been dead awhile I think the Mantis is easily his equal.
underrated line

Old 11-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #68
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Old 01-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #69
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

They are certainly equal when it comes to jumping, but Wilt is still less likely to turn the ball over. And its less embarrassing to get dunked on when you are a dead stiff, as opposed to a live one.