Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs Gameday thread

Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Mavs Game Preview by Matt Pinto

The Mavericks slipped on step one of the Texas two-step, falling to Houston at home on Wednesday night 124-114. Step two comes Friday night (January 14 at 7pm CT) at San Antonio against the 29-8 Southwest Division leading Spurs at the SBC Center. The 22-11 Mavericks head south uncertain of the status of their best defensive player Josh Howard. He did not travel with the team to San Antonio and is expected to miss his second consecutive game as he continues the recovery process from an upper respiratory infection. His presence was sorely missed against the Rockets Wednesday as Houston shot an opponent’s high 61% from the floor.

Dallas clashes with the Spurs winner of 5 of its last 6 and 7 of its last 9, but uncertain of just where it stands in the NBA pecking order. A big reason for that is the fact that they’ve been drilled twice this season by double digits by San Antonio. The Mavs fell to the Spurs at the SBC Center November 24 94-80, then at home 107-89 November 30. Offense has been tough for Dallas to come by against San Antonio as its averaged just 84.5ppg on 41% field goal shooting. Gregg Popovich’s club is again the toughest in the NBA to score against for everyone, and it’s been especially daunting on its home floor where the Spurs have won 10 in a row and has posted an NBA best 18-1 overall mark.

The Mavericks have had some success in recent years in the Alamo City, winning at least once in San Antonio the past two seasons and don’t forget Dallas won twice on the Spurs home floor during the ‘03 Western Conference finals. How do the Mavs go about extending that streak in this one?

First off, they will look to Erick Dampier to work through a tender left knee and provide more than the 3.5ppg and 4.5rpg that he’s produced versus the Spurs in the first two meetings this season. When Damp is rockin’ and rollin’ on the interior the Mavericks are very tough to beat. When he’s silenced it becomes much tougher for Dallas, especially against a team like San Antonio that possesses the West’s premier low-post force in Tim Duncan (22ppg, 11rpg).

Number two, the Mavericks must seek out early offense, whether that be in transition on the fast break or pushing it at the Spurs even off of made shots to find open shooters. Dallas’ ability to pressure the Spurs defense early in the shot clock rather than force itself into desperate late shot clock, contested looks will be pivotal to their success. Thirdly, the Mavericks must take care of the ball. Dallas has turned it over an average of 19 times per game against the Spurs this season. Optimizing every possession against a team as sturdy as San Antonio is defensively is critical.

And finally, Dallas will look to hold its own on the boards. The Mavericks were dominated in the fight for rebounds in Wednesday’s ten point loss to Houston, falling 40-29. Dallas must concentrate on limiting the Spurs to just one shot. If the Mavericks can accomplish each of these four steps they will have a shot to pull off the upset. It is a tall task! That’s why the Spurs have lost just once at home all season long. They are THAT tough. To me, they are the West’s best.

As far as individual match-ups...Tony Parker’s been marvelous against the Mavericks thus far this season (averaging 16ppg, 5.5agp). Jason Terry must find a way to neutralize his dribble penetration defensively, while continuing to play under control in finding open teammates offensively. The point guard battle is worth plenty of your focused attention as a viewer in this game.

If Josh Howard’s able to play, he’ll likely draw the assignment of chasing Manu Ginobili. Ginobili’s mighty crafty with the ball and capable of beating opponents off the dribble as well as from three-point range. Howard or whoever guards him will have their hands full.

Michael Finley will likely take Bruce Bowen. Fin has missed the first two meetings this season due to injury, but you may recall that the last time the two saw one another in San Antonio they had a confrontation that resulted in Finley’s ejection. Bowen is a sticky defender that loves agitating the opposition. Finley will be focused to win the individual battle. Don’t bet against him.

Up front, Dirk Nowitzki will need to secure more than the three rebounds that he grabbed against the Rockets Wednesday night to off-set Tim Duncan’s productivity at power forward. But Nowitzki will be focused to rebound, LITERALLY and he’s likely to come up big.

At the center spot, the Spurs come with Rasho Nesterovic against Erick Dampier. Nesterovic has had better numbers against the Mavs than Damp has against San Antonio in the two earlier meetings. That trend can’t continue here if the Mavericks are to break through against the Spurs.

Off the bench, the Spurs bring tough rookie point guard Beno Udrih, wiley veteran swingman Brent Barry, seemingly ageless Robert Horry, notorious Mavs killer Malik Rose, and beefy Tony Massenburg. This is a crafty group that frequently provides enough heart and hustle to gain an edge when on the floor.

Will it take a perfect game from the Mavericks to win in San Antonio? No. But it will take their best road effort of the season to get it done. Dallas has posted a solid 10-4 road mark this season, delivering outstanding victories in Miami, Washington, Minnesota and Houston. The Mavs are capable of rising and drawing closer to the division leaders in the standings on this Friday night stage. This one will be interesting!
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE:Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs Gameday thread

Way to go Erica!

I'll watch the game tomorrow morning and expect a stellar performance from Dirk and a nice defensive effort by the whole team

Mavs 98
Spurs 87

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Mavs 100 SA 92

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs Gameday thread

I'd love to see Finley give Bowen a good knock again if Bowen tries to slide any jabs/hits at Finley by the refs. That being said, I hope its a very clean game.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are 1-0 when I'm at the SBC Center. I'll be there to keep the "streak" going [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Go Mavs!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This could get ugly.

Spuz 105
Mavs 91
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

Hello again, Mavs fans. I didn't post prior to our previous two meetings, because I felt like the Mav's were still trying to find an identity, but I've had this date circled on my calendar all year. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I fully expect this to be a back-and-forth battle, but of course I expect my Spurs to win it decisively in the 4th. We are prone to let downs in the 4th, but not as bad as previous years (hopefully that continues).

Spurs 105
Mavs 95

Good luck tonight, and I sure hope there are no injuries...
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

We Loose!!!

Mavs 89

Spurs 101
Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

R we sure Josh isn't playing?

I think Damp' playing is critical at this game,and with his knee problems it could be that much tougher for him to perform.
If Damp manages a double-double,i defenitly see us leaving the SBC with a win.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I'll quit being a Mavs fan if the Spurs win. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

When everyone's healthy on both sides, Spurs are a better team and they are playing at home where they are 18-1. With Josh out sick and Damp playing on one knee, I don't see how we could stay in this game for too long. I predict: 96-83 Spurs win.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

with howard out and damp playing on a bad knee, i think it's going to take a shooting spree to get past the spurs tonight. hopefully finely doesn't shoot as poorly as he did wednesday, and surely dirk won't disappear for two quarters again. i look for the mavs to put up a gutsy performance, but think they'll come a bit short. Spurs: 96 Mavs: 92
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Dont give the Spurs too much credit.
True,right now they're probably the best team in the NBA,but a Mavericks team with a good game flow and defensive rotation is not less talented and has at least as much potential.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i think this is the first time in the last 2 years that dirk is healthy going into an SA

if you look at the last couple years he always sprained his ankle in a game before the one against SA

so it looks like he's broken the "curse"

that being said, spurs will probably win after some knuckleheaded decision making from don nelson
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Damp will be out, as well...

DMN
Mavericks center Erick Dampier will miss tonight's game against San

Antonio because of a bruised left knee.

digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #16
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I don't like the sound of this. Josh out, Damp out, Finley's poor play on Wednesday until the last minute...hmm
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: digit
Damp will be out, as well...

DMN
Mavericks center Erick Dampier will miss tonight's game against San

Antonio because of a bruised left knee.

eek. Injury bugaboos again.

Dirk
Fin
Stack
Terry
Harris
Henderson
Shawn
Booth
Armstrong

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

No Damp, no Josh, and Daniels goes on the IL. Not the way you want to roll into the SBC Center.

I still think we can hang with the Spurs, but it will take a monumental effort and everybody stepping it up on defense.

I cannot, in good conscience, predict a Mav win. It is against my religion, however, to predict a Mav loss.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #19
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Maybe the Mavs should pull their starters if the game gets out of hand. After all, the Mavs play the back end of a back-to-back tomorrow.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Daniels goes on the IL
where'd you hear that and who is coming off the IL? To put him on, we'd need to pull either TAW or one of our developmental centers.

It'd be nice to see what any of those guys can do.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the full blurb from the DMN:

Injured Mav Dampier will miss tonight's game

12:40 PM CST on Friday, January 14, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO -- Mavericks center Erick Dampier will miss tonight's game against San Antonio because of a bruised left knee.

Dampier injured the knee when he bumped into an Indiana Pacer last week. Dampier played Wednesday against Houston, but the knee has not responded to treatment. He hopes to play Saturday against New Jersey.

In addition, swingman Marquis Daniels will be placed on the injured list before tonight's game, meaning he will rest his sore left ankle at least five more games.

Center DJ Mbenga will be activated from the injured list before tonight's game.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

DJ!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #23
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Center DJ Mbenga will be activated from the injured list before tonight's game.

well, there's 6 more fouls to use off the bench. let's hope duncan has flashbacks to last year's free throw shooting woes (not that 64% is anything to brag about, but the mavs may need all the help they can get tonite).
Old 01-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #24
vinnieponte

please don't tell me we're going to go small again. I love dj and hope he gets some decent time out there. But i've predicted this all year as Erica can attest to, we will loose, especially without howard, now damp, and who knows if the "real" Finley will even show up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch this whole game, ouch.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

ID DJ shows up and we can keep the game close through the half, I'm cancelling my social event tonight.

I predict

Nowitzki
Henderson
Finley
Harris
Terry

I'd really want to see

Booth/DJ
Nowitzki
Finley
Stack
Terry

but I guess we are so devoted to bringing stack off the bench that we'll start third string players like Armstrong before him.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #26
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch this whole game, ouch.
C'mon now, don't jump ship already. Remember Game 4 of the 2003 WCF?

NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

We could use another 31pt, 8rebound, 3assist, 5steal, 2 block game from Finley, definitely.

this time we have Nowitzki too.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #28
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

No Damp and no Howard? Our defense will probably suffer, but I'm feeling optimistic.

Mavs 109
Spurs 101
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #29
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

If this game starts getting out of reach, I really hope we see a lot of DJ. I'd love to see how his defense has improved and general basketball IQ. I know Duncan is a great offensive player, but I'd like to see DJ on him to see how he can hold his ground and not rack up fouls...just on a few plays though.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #30
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

No Damp, No Howard, No D, No W.................................For the Spurs.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

This sucks. I want to play the Spurs** when both teams are at full strength.

It will be hard to take much from tonights game because of the M*A*S*H situation on the bench. I thought it was going to be difficult to get a win when it was just Howard out. It seems every time I log in to the site we lose another player.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #32
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

we gonna get shut out....hate to say it but, ginobilis gonna blow up tonight.. i see us containing TD fairly well
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Shut out? Now that would be interesting to watch. I've never seen a Basketball game where one opponent was shut out.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #34
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

No Damp, No Daniels, No Howard; that is a very tough one to swallow. I don't expect for us to play much D tonight. I'm expecting Terry to shoot more 3's like he did against the Lakers. Hopefully Bradely can help us out again. They said it would be unlikely to see Benga play tonight but I would like to see how far he has progressed.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

This is the perfect game for Nellie to coach. The only time Nellie wants to coach is if he's got a snowball's chance in hell of winning. With 3 of our top 7-8 players out tonight, I'd say that is definitely a snowflake.

Nelson will coach his @ss off if he thinks his team doesn't stand a chance. But if he has a good team and no injuries, he'll slide back and "relax."

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Mavs play with a lot of determination tonight. It's a "win one for the gimp" type of game.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #36
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Spurs 103 - Mavs 82
Old 01-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #37
vinnieponte

Seeing how we play a back to back, I'm hoping we pull Dirk, Mike, & terry out early to rest them as we wont have a chance tonight and better to keep them energized for tommorows game.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #38
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

True, I expect to see Nellie prove that he's a top notch in-game tactician tonight.

I'd really like to see Bradley get rewarded for his decent outing against the rox, but I'm not going to whine about Dirk at the five as long as Henderson is in at the 4.

Let's not forget how good our offense has looked lately, and the Spurs aren't good at defending the arc.

The mavs either win in an epic battle of powerhouse teams...or go down flaming in what amounts to a complete stinker.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #39
vinnieponte

We're going to need this & a miracle to win!

Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
ID DJ shows up and we can keep the game close through the half, I'm cancelling my social event tonight.

I predict

Nowitzki
Henderson
Finley
Harris
Terry

I'd really want to see

Booth/DJ
Nowitzki
Finley
Stack
Terry

but I guess we are so devoted to bringing stack off the bench that we'll start third string players like Armstrong before him.
Wow...no stormin mormon...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote