Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not a graceful move by Dirk

Not a graceful move by Dirk
Clumsy instance looks scary, but there's no serious damage

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki can be a graceful player at times, rising above defenders for a silky smooth jumper, leaving that hand flicked at the end of the shot like some sort of snake waiting to strike.

Saturday was not one of those times.

Nowitzki said he thought it was a clumsy move that sent him to the X-ray room at American Airlines Center in the second quarter against New Jersey.

"I'm not even sure what happened," he said. "I didn't step on anybody's foot. It was just sort of a retarded move."

In short, his feet went all thumbs on him as he got tangled in his own web.

What the X-ray showed was no structural problem and, as Nowitzki said, the bone spurs that rattle around in his ankle still have the ability to be a source of pain.

"They're still in there doing whatever they do," he said.

Nowitzki had an ice bag wrapped around the inside of his left ankle after the game and still wasn't moving freely. After the Mavericks enjoyed a day off Sunday, Nowitzki hopes he will be pain-free before Tuesday's home game against Washington.

Stand-up moment:

Darrell Armstong took responsibility Friday when he allowed San Antonio's Devin Brown to slip around him for the offensive rebound that sealed the Spurs' win.

"I made the mistake of watching the shot instead of looking for somebody to box out," he said.

Armstrong wasn't the only culprit who played a part in the loss. But his accountability speaks volumes about why he is respected around the league and in the locker room.

briefly:

The Mavericks will wear their retro green uniforms Tuesday against Washington, which also will be wearing a throwback outfit. ... Josh Howard should be back at practice today and may be back in the starting lineup Tuesday.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Not a graceful move by Dirk

Quote:
"I made the mistake of watching the shot instead of looking for somebody to box out," he said.

Much respect to DA. Though the play stopped us from winning the game he didn't cost us that game but much props for admittinga defensive mistake.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Not a graceful move by Dirk

The titles are becoming more and more misleading! Probably unintentional, but this is definitely happening. I thought he had done something classless.

That rebound....... somehow I feel if Josh was playing he'd find a way to snag it. Kudos to DA, his hustle helped out the team though, so at the end he definitely didn't cost us the game.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Dirk doing the wave or whatever you call it with his hands when he saw that bald guy in the stands doing it? That was absolutely priceless.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Josh better start when he returns. I am kinda worried that Nellie is falling in love with Stack as the starter. Move Fin or Stack to 6th man, Josh has to start, he is our 2nd best player. I am worried though, you know Nellie.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
The titles are becoming more and more misleading! Probably unintentional, but this is definitely happening. I thought he had done something classless.

That rebound....... somehow I feel if Josh was playing he'd find a way to snag it. Kudos to DA, his hustle helped out the team though, so at the end he definitely didn't cost us the game.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Dirk doing the wave or whatever you call it with his hands when he saw that bald guy in the stands doing it? That was absolutely priceless.
I thought he said something naughty or spit in public...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
Bernarodos, I saw that on TV and thought it was hilarious. I love how much fun Dirk seems to have instead of showing off an aloof attitude like most other superstars in the league.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Might have been just Dirk recognizing a good german sports habit and greeting his fellow german that way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Pretty common way to celebrate together between supporters and sports guys over here.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The news on Josh Howard is great news and there is no doubt in my mind that he should be the starter when he comes back even if he only plays 15-20 minutes while he gets his feet back under him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote